Ankle weights

Options
aganey
aganey Posts: 501 Member
I'm looking at purchasing a pair of ankle weights to do some at home exercises with as well as wear them on days I walk. For those of you that use them, what weight do you recommend? I see them ranging between 0.5 lb per leg to 5 lbs per leg. Also do you have any videos on YouTube you can recommend as well? Thanks!

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    At home exercises
    aganey wrote: »
    I'm looking at purchasing a pair of ankle weights to do some at home exercises with as well as wear them on days I walk....
    Just a quick FYI, ankle weights shouldn't be used while walking. The Mayo Clinic published a short article about it here and from the CDC,
    Never wear ankle weights or hold dumbbells while walking or doing other aerobic exercises such as biking or jogging.

I can't easily recommend a specific brand to get (I have used ankle weights frequently while rehabbing my knees) as the ones I have are well over 10 years old, but I suggest getting ones that allow you to adjust the weight.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
  • aganey
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    At home exercises
    I'm looking at purchasing a pair of ankle weights to do some at home exercises with as well as wear them on days I walk....
    Just a quick FYI, ankle weights shouldn't be used while walking. The Mayo Clinic published a short article about it here and from the CDC,
    Never wear ankle weights or hold dumbbells while walking or doing other aerobic exercises such as biking or jogging.

I can't easily recommend a specific brand to get (I have used ankle weights frequently while rehabbing my knees) as the ones I have are well over 10 years old, but I suggest getting ones that allow you to adjust the weight.

Thanks for the advice! I will look into the adjustable weight ones.
  • aganey
    Options
    Thanks to all on your concern with wearing them while walking. I had no idea it was harmful. I will definitely not do that! I will wear only with at home exercises.
  • aganey
    Options
    Any you tube videos to recommend for workouts safe for ankle weights?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    ya no dont wear them walking i know 0.5-5lbs doesnt sound like much but its definatly damaging. Just walk. As it was said if you must get a good 2 strap backpack and stick some stuff in it to add weight (not alot) Itd help a bit but really wouldnt worry about it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Any you tube videos to recommend for workouts safe for ankle weights?

Ankle weights really don't do a whole lot except for physical therapy, which is why trainers rarely use them. I don't know your goal, but for general strength, consider getting a pair of adjustable dumbbells, so you can do basics like squats, deadlifts and lunges. On youtube, try Fitnessblender or Hasfit. :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all on your concern with wearing them while walking. I had no idea it was harmful. I will definitely not do that! I will wear only with at home exercises.

For what benefit?

If you want a good workout, look up insanity... no ankle weights needed!

If you want to do some weights, follow a programme.
  • aganey
    Options

For what benefit?

My benefit is to have some resistance. I've tried resistance bands and I don't like messing with them. I figured ankle weights would give the same effect without having a band get in my way. Seems like nobody really cares for them though. My son has some dumbbells I'm going to use as well. I've already looked up hasfit and am interested in several of their dumbbell exercises. I just thought ankle weights would add some resistance to some of the leg exercises.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

For what benefit?

My benefit is to have some resistance. I've tried resistance bands and I don't like messing with them. I figured ankle weights would give the same effect without having a band get in my way. Seems like nobody really cares for them though. My son has some dumbbells I'm going to use as well. I've already looked up hasfit and am interested in several of their dumbbell exercises. I just thought ankle weights would add some resistance to some of the leg exercises.

Squat, deadlift, calf raise, lunge... there's plenty of resistance if you do those with a barbell or dumbbell
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You may not be thinking about how exactly the weight on the ankle is going to change things.
    Think of a simple step-up workout.

It's going to be working on muscles that mainly deal with lifting the weight of the foot/leg - which isn't needed for that much weight.

You really need the weighted vest to improve the muscles that actually carry you during those workouts.

An adjustable vest if anything you'll probably find more useful if you just must go down this road.

Or better, links above for actual resistance program - many are by body-weight and you can make decent advancement on purely that until you need more.
  • aganey
    Options
    I've looked up some different programs and decided against the ankle weights. Most of you feel they aren't needed and you're probably correct. I will save my money and utilize the dumbbells we already have and my own body weight. Thanks for the input!