Plateau Breakers

Options
I'm currently in a rut. I've been in 25% caloric deficit for about 15 weeks. I lost nearly 10 lbs in the first 7 weeks. However, I've been spending the last 8 weeks around the same weight +/- 2 lbs. I typically lose weight in stalls and whooshes. When I do not have a whoosh in a few weeks, I reassess my activity level and intake. I've adjusted my calories down twice, still no changes on the scale. I even tried refeeds (but staying in an overall deficit).

I decided to take a 'diet break' for two weeks and go on maintenance (I'm currently on week 2), after which I'll reduce back down to 20-25% deficit (400-500 calories). Will this be enough to get me back on track to losing?

Does anyone else have any plateau breaking techniques?

Background:

I've previously lost 60 lbs 7 years ago, but slowly gained some back in muscle and fat. The weight gained resulted in going up one size.

I have a desk job, but I have a standing desk and get 8k steps a day. My exercises consists of HIIT, running, lifting and Pole/Aerial. I try to exercise 3-5 days a week.

I'm just Calories in/Calories out. I don't eat animal products tho, but I still get 20% of my calories from protein. I measure out everything to ensure accuracy.

Yes, I measure and yes I take pictures, but it's incredibly frustrating when the number does change for 2 months.

I'm happy to provide any additional information.

Replies

• purdynerdybirdy
    purdynerdybirdy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I thought measuring was enough.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    25% deficit is a bit extreme for most. Also adjusting your calories every 2 weeks does not give you time to assess if the deficit is accurate for your goals. Typically you need 4-6 weeks to assess if a plan is working or not. Other factors can contribute to weight gain/stalls but does not always indicate the number is related to fat (i.e hormones, DOMS, water, sodium, high carb days). If you are being truthful with your food log (i.e.weighing with a scale and not measuring with cups/spoons) then consider having more patience. Weight loss isn't linear. Healthy weight loss is 0.5-2 pounds a week.
  • purdynerdybirdy
    Options
    I'm sorry for the confusion. I took a 2 week break after 15 weeks of dieting. I've been +/2 lbs since June. Since then, I've tightened up and increased activity with no change. I'm almost obsessive with my tracking.

Quiksylver made a good point with the scale. I thought I was ok with just using measuring cups.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the confusion. I took a 2 week break after 15 weeks of dieting. I've been +/2 lbs since June. Since then, I've tightened up and increased activity with no change. I'm almost obsessive with my tracking.

Quiksylver made a good point with the scale. I thought I was ok with just using measuring cups.

If you have a minute watch this video about weighing vs cups/spoons https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY
  • purdynerdybirdy
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same spot and getting so frustrated. I think I will try the food scale and I also bought an Apple Watch so I know exactly how many activity calories I am burning. Fingers crossed this helps!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • purdynerdybirdy
    Options
    Thanks Dianne.

I've considered all above over the last 8 weeks which is why I was at my wit's end. I believe the scale will be very helpful since I've always relied on them for measurement. I'm hoping that will make the difference.

Thanks!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice. I just popped in to say you look amazing! It sounds like you'll be back on track once you tighten up your logging with a food scale. Cudos.
  • purdynerdybirdy
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice. I just popped in to say you look amazing! It sounds like you'll be back on track once you tighten up your logging with a food scale. Cudos.

Thank you Ladyhusker! My food scale comes in tomorrow. Meanwhile I've been measuring 'below' the rim of my measuring cups lol.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've lost about 20 pounds so far with about the same amount to go, but my weight hasn't budged at all for over a month now.

I have a fitbit for my activity and I weigh all my food, we don't use cups here in the UK. I'm hoping it will sort itseld out after some time but it's incredibly frustrating keeping up the habits but not seeing results!