Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Carnivore Diet, Depression, and Autoimmune Disease -- Jordan Peterson

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If the problem is caused, or partially caused, by a person's current diet then it makes sense that altering the diet may help.

In situations where a problem is acute and caused externally (like depression from bad situations rather than a chronic problem, or a joint injury from an accident rather than inflammatory arthritis) then I think many will agree that diet will not play as large of a role during treatment or recovery.

For example, I've had a lot of arthritis, in multiple joints for over half my life (since my 20s). When I went gluten free to treat celiac disease I had a huge improvement in my upper body arthritis. Sometimes diet can help when diet is partially the problem. It is not usually a quick fix though. I've seen intensive diet therapy work but it can take months or years, and if the patient goes back to the way they ate when the problem developed, the problem will often return.

If you stub your toe, twist your ankle, or become depressed after losing a job or a bad breakup, I don't think diet will help as much, although it can still have some impact.

Ymmv
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I haven't seen the video, but had discovered the carnivore diet as a way to further reduce carbs from the keto diet. It seems to work very well for me and I feel better than I have in a long time. I eat mostly beef, but add some other animal foods on occasion - usually when traveling or with meetings in a restaurant where options are more limited. I do not feel as good on those occasions when eating those other animal foods such as low carb dairy (cheese) and eggs. Something that really screwed me up badly once when traveling was pork rinds. I had not expected it to be so bad, but the label showed them as being very low carb. The only explanation I can think of is that they may have been fried in safflower oil.

ETA: The carnivore diet helped towards the tail end of losing fat, but I've continued as I've switched to maintenance for now. At some point, I want to lose a bit more body fat (those last 15 lbs.), but am staying at maintenance calories as I increase running mileage.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Has anyone come across the web site - eat meat/drink water. been around for ages, very interesting.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    As Dr. Peterson states repeatedly - he is largely ignorant of the science behind this (he is a clinical psychologist), but it works for him and his family. He is one of the greatest thinkers on the planet, but also has a large base of professionals to help him whenever he has a question or needs support.

I would not recommend attempting this without professional support.

Is he one of the greatest thinkers on the planet? How do you quantify (or qualify) that claim? Also while he may have a large base of professionals to help him whenever he has a question or needs support, whose to say that he's actually going to ask them for help in situations outside of collaborating on papers? It is fairly common knowledge that there are plenty of doctors and mental health care professionals who don't want to ask their colleagues for help. Nevermind the stigma surrounding mental health is in academia (and he is in academia) regardless of discipline. I would be pleasantly shocked if he talked to his colleagues about how to improve his mental health issues.

Purely subjective as I'm not sure how one would quantify or qualify this. He certainly has the respect of his peers - other great thinkers.

Personally what puts him over the top is the mere fact that if I credited him as such he would deny it.

Arguably that's just him being humble. One of the reasons I question whether or not he's "one of the great thinkers on the planet" is that I know a number of people who are well published, well cited, and very well respected in their fields and have been around countless more. I don't know if I'd call any of them "the greatest thinkers on the planet".
  • JessieePoooh
    JessieePoooh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello! I follow a Paleo diet and am currently making a Paleo Recipes book of all the meals I've tried and like. Would love to see and share recipes to find something we haven't tried yet and vice versa!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Hmm... weird. If you look into it it actually seems like a low meat diet provides the best chance of combating depression. High meat intakes have been linked to chronic inflammation (among many other health problems) and chronic inflammation has been directly linked to depression.

Do you have any links to support these assertions?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Sounds horrible...and I like and eat my fair share of meat.
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I am on carnivore and I can say it does improve my mood, I feel contented no moody or depressed. Also I am clinically depressed I take sertaline (could be spelled incorrectly).
This discussion has been closed.