WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Happy happy grandma here: Announcing birth of new grandson Zachary. Weighed in at 10.5 lbs (!!), finally by emergency C-section after many hours of labor on August 11, 2011. (Poor mom). SIL and I were with her. The whole family is doing great now. Zachary never suffered one itty bit. And is he ever cute!!

ttyl.

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Rebel-congrats on the grandson.glad mom and baby are fine.How exciting!!
    Redi-congrats at joining the y.
    Everyone else good night.
    was at the drs and pharmacy most of the day.My asthma is acting up,not surprised with the move.
    gave me a breathing treatment and prescription to get a machine,didn`t work out and didn`t get the machine tonite,hopefully in the am.
    have a good night my friends.
    HUGS
    jane
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi again!

Michelle, Jeannie and Kackie:laugh:

Was it that obvious that I am finally having sex again......and yes with my guyfriend!:love: lol It is the same guy that I met back in March and we have been seeing each other ever since. Why he sticks with me I'll never know. Between dealing with my mother and my ups and downs because of her, PLUS with me being overweight, I still don't understand it. As a matter of fact today I went with my neighbor, who I helped set up the food delivery for, to take the dogs a walk. This is a joke though because whereas I walk to the pet area on the other side of the property, he drives over there because he says it's too far to walk.:huh: (He's actually out of shape and can't stand to exercise). But today I called him up to see if I could hitch a ride with him as it was near 95 degrees and Boo was panting like crazy before we are even halfway there! (Another one that is out of shape and hates to exercise!) So I hop in his car and off we go with the dogs and he pulls in to a parking spot next to the dog area and proceeds to back in and out a zillion times and I let out this big sigh and he says, "I'm doing this for you so I can park next to the empty spot so you have room to get out Chubby" He said I deserved that because I sighed he said jokingly. All I know is I heard "chubby" and all my insecurities came rushing back and I felt so crappy and ugly. Then I began having thoughts about why my guy even wants to go to bed with me, let alone be with me? It's amazing how one little sentence can destroy you. I know my neighbor was joking when he said it. But I also know that he really feels that way too. He has made other remarks before about my weight. I even told him that I've lost at least 70 pounds already and he just says "Yeah, right." This coming from a man who is at least 70 pounds overweight!:noway: It never ceases to amaze me how people can criticize someone when they have the same or worse problem than you. Oh, well.:ohwell:

Went swimming today and increase my laps, stomach exercises and push ups today. I also was invited to a movie with a neighbor, (lady) and we saw, "The Help" which was very good. I think I am going to buy the book as books offer so much more than movies do of the story. It should be an excellent read. Then I went in the evening to help another neighbor with choosing a Medi-Cal HMO insurance as the wording boggled her mind. Since I have been down that road with my mother, it doesn't look like a foreign language to me. she broke down crying saying she was so glad I was there to help her. I felt so bad for her. She is going through a lot with medical issues and I was just glad to help relieve her from some of the pressure.

Well it's late and I would like to say that I am going to bed now, but I am not. I want to catch the remainder of the "Craig Ferguson Show". I need to laugh and his humor is right up my alley.

Talk to you later.
    Good night
    Chiclet
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Rebel - Congrats on the new grand baby, how sweet. Everyone here is just awesome, I am so glad to be a part of this group! Have a healthy day to everyone of you!
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Chiclet, maybe I should mind my own business but I just have to say this...I would not allow this fellow to make these comments to you. They are obviously hurtful:brokenheart: and tear away at you self confidence. Comments like this are not kind and they are not funny. Let him know that you do not appreciate these remarks, if he says he is kidding then tell him you find them unfunny and offensive, but do not allow anyone to say these things to you. Remarks like this are not inadvertant, they are abuse.

I know you have enjoyed his company :love: and if he truly cares for you will not make comments that he knows are hurtful to you.

Now for my good news....I am off that damn plateu! :bigsmile: Scale moved finally, I hit the 15 pounds lost mark yesterday...woo hoo, isn't it funny that no matter how much you want that next goal as soon as you reach it you cannot wait to reach the next one...onward and downward for me.

Today is the day I have my mammogram recheck, I am apprehenive to say the least:yawn: .. My appointment is not until 1:30 I will be on pins and needles until it is over.

Hope you have a good day. Sissy:heart:
  • redi2
    redi2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Rebel, congratulations on the new grandchild!! Zachary is sure a big boy!! I bet he is adorable!! Have fun!

Jane, thanks! I went to my first water aerobics class last night and loved it!! today I am off to buy a better swim suit. :
  • ritamerlot
    ritamerlot Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    gratz on the new grandchild!

been off the wagon (this site) for a couple of weeks.
    bad rita.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI~ all
    Redi,glad you liked the water class.I just love being in the water.i`m having withdrawals.I haven`t been swimming since wed,due to my asthma flareup.Enjoy.
    Chickelet-I`m butting in to,sorry.But I agree with Sissy,no one should make you feel bad about you.You are a beautiful person,size doesn`t make a person better.
    Sisy-good luck with your test.
    Eveyrone enjoy your tues.
    HUGS
    jane
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Chickelet - I am trying to be open minded about the comment. It is hard to tell if he was trying to joke (bad choice of words) or if he was trying to be mean. I guess, my next question is if he says this kind of thing a lot or if this was the first and hopefully the last time. Definitely, tell him the remark bothered you.

I had a surprise today- my husband called and asked me to join him for lunch. This is the first time ever he has done anything like that. Granted, he has always worked before. Still I was so happy to be asked to lunch.

Have a great day everyone!

Jeannie
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone

Chiclet - I'm with everyone else. I think I'm reading it right that this is the man you helped (not your manfriend) I can't believe this is the way he repays you. I would certainly say something along the lines "After all the things I did for you I'm surprised that you make such derogatory remarks to me. Even if you think they are funny - I don't. My size didn't matter to you when I was helping so I don't see why it should matter to you now. I found your remarks very hurtful." As for your manfriend - good for you girl! My knees have the same problem!!!

Rebel - congrats on the new addition to your family.

Jane - hope your asthma attacks are soon over. Do you have somewhere else to move to? Do you know when you are moving?

Rita - welcome back to the wagon - here take my hand and climb back on.
  • chicletgirl21
    Options
    Thank you all for your concern, but I did want to clear up one thing as I may have misconstrued things.
    The neighbor I was talking about was the one that I helped get food delivered to him because he is on a fixed income (SS only). It is not my guyfriend. They are totally different people. The neighbor is a friend only. My guyfriend (I guess I should say boyfriend, but it sounds silly at my age) is very sweet to me and loves me for who I am and how I look. The neighbor has personal issues that he is dealing with and has a tendency to push his ideas on people. He is kind of a hermit and very stubborn. He also has a drinking problem. Like I said he has issues, but I worry about him and he has helped me with getting me places and such in return. Overall he is a good man, he just needs to come to terms with his problems.

But even still you are right, he shouldn't say those things to me and sometimes I do call him on some of them. He has apologized to me but he is just stuck in his ways. I really only mentioned it because I was amazed how quickly I can succumb to those old feelings of insecurity and low self esteem. You know how they say it is easier to believe the worst about yourself than the good.

But then that is what I have you guys for ......right?:smile: That is probably why I brought it up to you all in the first place. You always bring me up. I can count on you for that. :flowerforyou:

I hope you all have a great day today. It is hot here and humid. I guess in California we have finally got our true summer now. I know you all in the rest of the country have been dealing with heat waves and humidity all summer. I personally can't stand this type of weather. I am more a 75 degree type of girl. That to me is perfect.

Well talk to you later
    Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Jeannie - don't you just hate it when you lose your post? That's one of the reasons Vince always says to me "save, save, save"

I really don't understand it, I've been pretty good with my calories, etc. Yet, it seems like I'm getting more fat. Weird! What I really need to do is try to cut out this evening snacking, maybe that'll help.

It was hard to track last night. Jessica made dinner and Dianna bought me a bottle of wine from Australia where she'd just been so I had to have some. She knew that I like sweet wines, and this was nice and sweet! Jessica made a stir fry. I filled up on the veges, had a little bit of beef, a little bit of the chicken, I tried the soy chicken (Dianna is a vegetarian), a bit of the stir fry noodles and a bit of the teriyaki sauce. For dessert I had to have a small piece of the brownie I brought, 2 banana blueberry muffins that I brought and a few of the chocolate cookies that I brought. Dianna liked the cookies, I really do want to try making them again because the recipe said to refrigerate the dough and I don't think that was necessary. After refrigerating it, the dough was way too crumbly to cut. Next time I want to try them and not refrigerate them. Now I know someone to give them to!

Monday I did a weight DVD before we left, but I didn't exercise today. Tomorrow is yoga and then deep water aerobics.

redi - good for you joining the Y! That's great! I hear ya about the swim suit. I bought some at Kohl's last year and they didn't wear well at all. Well, you get what you pay for. So I bought some better ones at Penney's but even those are starting to wear and I only use it once/week. Hopefully, I can continue to use it until we go to FL (hopefully late in Sept). I'll take the bathing suit with me, probably use it again the day we leave, and then throw it out. This way I won't have to bring home a wet bathing suit. Last time I just put it in a plastic bag.

Rebel - congratulations!

chicklet - you wonder why this guy sticks with you??? Because he knows a caring, compassionate, big hearted person when he sees one, that's why. As far as that remark that that guy made, you know, he might be insecure about his weight and he probably was justifying himself. Actually, I had to read that twice to fully get it. You know, I have to agree with Sissy, too. No one should purposely make you feel bad about yourself. Genalace made a great post, you should say something along those lines

Sissy - vongrats on the great loss! Good luck on your mammo recheck. I go Thurs. Thinking postive thoughts for you and me

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening

Michele
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Haven't been on in a real long time, but I did finally catch up on the posts.

Natalie: I am so glad you had the surgery finally! I have been worrying and thinking about you ever since you mentioned the paid you were going through. It sounds like you are doing much better even with the current pain you are in. You sound totally different. Is this pain different from the other. It sounds like it is much more tolerable. And then today I heard you are walking with a cane and its only been a week and a half! That is so impressive!
    I have been thinking of talking with a doctor about my own knee. Granted I am no way near as bad as you were. But it definitely affects the things I do or rather the things I can't do. Some days the pain is so bad I am loaded up on pain killers and am walking around like an ape. Then days like today I am walking fine with just slight pain. I cannot sit back on the heals of my feet at all. Which really hurts and bugs me to no end. NOW THOSE WHO ARE SQUEEMISH ABOUT TALKING ABOUT SEX, DON'T READ THIS NEXT PART! But dammit, I went through all that I have achieved in my weight loss journey so that I could walk again and have sex like a normal person. And I still can't do that!!!! I have never been able to sit on top while having sex because of my knees. They simply will not bend that way without excrutiating pain! I so wanted to experience that! It sucks!!

Okay sex rant over.

I have been swimming everyday since I moved into this complex. Sometimes twice a day. My girlfriend came over yesterday who I haven't seen in over 3 months and she said I looked skinny. Now I know that is BS but I do think I look better. For one thing I am the brownest I have ever been in my entire life. I usually am DAYGLOW white, but now I look like I belong in a coppertone ad. That's kind of cool. My clothes are looser too, and I have had to go and order more clothes now. Pretty soon I am going to have to throw my 26/28 clothes out forever. I still walk around in them with a clip attached to the waist to hold them up. I just can't throw them away. They honestly look like crap but they are so comfortable. When I wear clothes that actually fit me, I feel confined in them. So do I go with bag lady look clothes for comfort or "wow you look terrific!" clothes that start to bug me because they are form fitting? I am even getting complaints from people who say, "I didn't realize you looked like that, because you are wearing clothes that look like potato sacks." :) So one day I will break down and toss them. I can't give them away because they are so beat up that no one would want to wear them. lol (Except me, that is)

I am still following my normal way of eating but due to bbq's and get togethers fudge a little. But I have it under control so I am good. I also am still with my guy friend and we are getting closer everyday, despite having my mom around amazing enough!

Speaking of her, I have to go and pick up her dishes from dinner and do her toileting now. So I am off.

Keep going strong everyone!
    Natalie I am proud of you being such a trooper. I am watching your every step.

Chiclet
    Well, I made to the other side of Aug 4, and I was so scared, could not describe to you how scared I was.
    Going home tomorrow after being in rehab for 10 days. Wonderful physical therapy two times a day for the ten days has me walking with a cane...
    I will have outoatient therapy for many weeks to come.
    Yes I was brave, and now I will have a quality of life again. Before surgery I had none.
    Diet is still on hold, but I think I lost more in the past 2 weeks, will know more wh end I get on the scale at home.

Natalie
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Still smiling from ear to ear. Thanks so much for all the well wishes on the birth of sweet grandson Zachary!!!:smile::smile: :smile: .

:noway: Meanwhile, I have to tell you that I had a bit of a scare last week Monday and ended up in emergency with chest pains. Go figure!! Am under care of cardiologist. But have no fear, I appear to be a healthy specimen and am doing great!

All the more reason to eat well and exercise!!! Honestly, I have had too much stress, and it is time to stop and smell the roses. :love: :love:

Love you all.

:heart: :heart: Rebel :heart: :heart:
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Chiclet - I meant to mention before (but was more concerned about your neighbour's attitude). You really should get rid of your 26/28 size clothes to make yourself look and feel better. If money is a concern (and isn't it for most of us), could you get some in between size (between 26/28 and what you actually are) from a charity shop. You will then be getting something that fits a bit better, but which doesn't feel too constricting. Then you can step down again until you are actually wearing things that fit.

I haven't seen it posted on MFP (but haven't looked at all the threads) whether there is a place where we could offer things that don't fit any more (as we slim down) but are still in good condition and would look great on someone else. Perhaps the recipient could pay the cost of postage. If I donate to charity shop, I don't get anything for it, so would be happy to send something on to someone else, as long as I wasn't too much out of pocket.

Anyway - did about 40 minutes lawn bowling this evening and then went off to visit my GF.

So now to bed.
  • chicletgirl21
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's me again.

Well I have read all your posts and have come to the conclusion that I shall bring it up to my neighbor. You know honestly, I don't think he intentionally meant to hurt my feelings, but at the same time, I don't think he realizes how much that comment hurt. I could never say, "After all that I have done for you, this is how you treat me?" I don't believe It in the first place and secondly I just gave my mother a lecture today about the act of giving. She has in the past helped me out financially from time to time. And I have done things for her or helped her at times in return. The difference is that she has a tendency to throw it back in my face when she wants to make me feel bad, guilty, or show what a good mother she was to me.
    I told her that the things I wanted the most from her, being a mother who protected her children from harm, showed love to them, and recognition, were the things I never got from her. Money is just material things, but a mother's love and how she cares for them is priceless. I said, " When you give of yourself or do something for someone it should be out of the kindness of your heart, and not expect anything in return. If someone does something in return, be grateful and enjoy the feeling giving gives you." She made the point of how I did all the things I did for my son and that he should be grateful. I told her, "No." "That was my parental duty to him. To love him by showing and telling him always, (even when he would get embarrassed later in life by it), for being supportive and protective of him. For letting him know he would always have a home and a mother who would always love him through all his trials and tribulations. For simply being there fo him." I told her, what I got back from him was watching him grow into a good man, who was respectful, loving, dependable, and responsible. A man any woman would be lucky to have. He has made me very proud of him. That was what I got back from him "for all that I did for him." She just shook her head. She will never get it and I never expect her to either.
    So I will simply address the comment that my neighbor made and tell him how it made me feel. Nicely. And if he says he was joking or didn't mean it, I will say fine, but, please don't say it again as I found it very hurtful and didn't like the way I felt afterwards.

I also look at it as he's a man, and as super intelligent as they think they are and know everything about anything, they are literally clueless about feelings. He at 70 years of age will have to begin to learn about them. By me. :wink:

Didn't get to go swimming tonight as I was still working on Medi-Cal issues with a lady here. She is so lost and confused. I hope to have most of this cleared up by tomorrow.

I am thinking of starting another book club again and have it here in the clubhouse. I am considering asking this lady to join and I thought we could begin with "Simple Abundance: A daybook of comfort and joy". She is fo unsure of herself and lacking in self esteem and is fighting major depression because of it. She reminds me of how I was when my ex left me for another woman. I refer to that time as my 'dead year', as I don't remember much of it. I walked the earth in body only, and 'felt' nothing. No happiness, sadness, love, nothing! I saw nothing around me. That is the way she is now. I want to help her. She says knowing that I was like her and am now the way I am, gives her hope. I will help her all I can, but also will be hooking her up with a good therapist that I know are available at no fee. (My mom has one.) I know of a couple of other ladies that may enjoy the book and want to discuss it. They are not in the same position as she is, but should enjoy what the book offers. During my 'dead year' , it was my bible and brought me up from the bottomless pit that was my depression, clawing and scratching my way out.

Well I am off to get mom ready for bed and then I will watch a little tv or play some games on my computer before I hit the sack. So have a good night, and if you did not do so well today, just remember: Today is just your future yesterday.:smile:

Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Rebel, congrats on your new grandson. He is a chunka munka. So huggable. There's nothing sweeter.

Barbie, I'm missing you. Hope the move is going okay.

Chiclet, girlfriend, you do have the most interesting problems! About the cloddish neighbor, you got lots of good advice. Genealace, you are so direct. Awesome! That's not easy.

Michele, adding more veggies might be what you need. It's so easy to gradually start eating more of the dessert-y kinds of things. I swear they stick to the waistline more than the foods we do less to.

I'm holding my own pretty well - not perfectly at all, but pretty well. I've been watching my 10 and 12 year old grandsons for my son this week. It's always harder being out of my own element.

I went a little over my calories today and ate more refined carbs than I like, but I'm keeping it in check. Tomorrow, I think (I hope) I'll have a day to myself. It's not helping any that I don't have a fridge in the house right now. It conked out and the repair person won't be here for a day or two. I hope it can be repaired. Urgh.

Yesterday, I took my gransons to see a movie (their choice). The Cowboy and The Aliens to be exact. Lol. Not my usual kind of movie. (My usual kind of movie is a book.) It's only PG-13 but I had to cover my eyes a lot. I'm something of a wimp when it comes to stuff like that. When I told my son, he said "Darn. I wanted to go see that with the kids." I'm smiling and shaking my head.

Natalie, you're doing so well. It's good to hear.

I took my 5 year old DGD, Kate, with me when I went down to Folsom to take care of her cousins. She had me laughing (to myself) on the way back. As we were driving on the freeway, she peered down the hill and said she'd seen a horse. Then she told me it was a baby horse that was getting milk from it's mother. Then she told me the baby horse had just hatched out of its egg.

Good night. And everyone who's is struggling with those refined carbs, hang in there. We'll get back on track. One day at a time. It does make it easier when we put a few of those No Refined Carb days together in a string!

xx
    Mary
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Trying to get back on track. Getting 6 grandkids ready for school is more time consuming than when I had my own kids. since mom works, I have been going to pre k testing, orientations, meetings etc. The last one went to school today and she will have off tomorrow and then start for good on Friday. they do girls one day boys next and then all of them at once. Then I will have just byron. today after getting them all on bus he and I went for walk. had to cut it down to 30 min. just too darn hot out there. have to go early or too hot. dont mind sweating but the sun is a killer. bought myself a jogging stroller to take him walking. heather and I had seen it at academy and it was only 55 which is good price. when I decided to go get it the price when checking out was 30. I was so excited, used it today really nice. heather 2 kids and i are going to disney world fall break. oct 7-11. they have special halloween stuff. gettting really excited. I have been doing okay with food but not much exercise. plan to remedy that. will walk early or as soon as bus comes he and I will go. I am maintaining well which is usually hard for me but I need to get this last 50 pounds off. I will try to catch up on posts later. Hope all are doing well.
    vicki M
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    There is so much going on in this forum and I am just noticing how much I miss when I'm not on here reading everyday. If I missed sending congratulations or warm thoughts your way, it was not intentional, but simply due to the quantity of posts we have everyday.

I will be MIA again from the posts for 5 days. I will post my food, but not have much time to read. I am going to Minneapolis for my niece's wedding. Is there anyone in the Twin City area? I won't have much free time, but would love to meet up with anyone from this forum if I can.

Besides the wedding, we are having a family reunion cookout Friday night with all the friends and family coming in for the wedding itself. I promised myself a trip to MOA (Mall of America) where I will buy something that fits.

Happy Hump day to all of us still working,

Happy Wednesday to all,

Jeannie
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Checking in with you again today, I lost 1 more lb. yay...
    I have a Question ... does anyone know what to do about plantar faceitis? Not sure how to spell it but I have it, and I can't walk for excercise and I love to walk. Any suggestions would be soooo helpful.
    Thanks