WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options

Good health vibes going to Natalie – glad you were able to check in and let us know.

Geri – have you thought about changing out one veggie for one fruit since you enjoy fruit so much. Perhaps there is something else you could trim to be able to have at least one piece of fruit each day. I find that a few cherries keep me happy for ages because I can eat one, and then not have the next one for a little while so the helping lasts longer than an apple or pear. Other small fruit like strawberries, raspberries, etc are also good rather than a larger single fruit.

Cathy - you say you like candies but don't buy them except when the grandchildren come and then you send the rest home with them. You also say that 2 of your sons are fighting flab because you feel that perhaps you didn't give them the right start. Perhaps it would be better to get something in the fruit line for your grandchildren when they come and not encourage them to want or expect candies. Then you are setting a better example.

Kathy (pjsmom) – if your DD buys ‘junk’ you should tell her to keep it in her room or in a secret place so you don’t see it. If it is ‘junk’ then she must be responsible for it. I’m like so many others here – if I buy something then I can’t stop eating it – don’t buy ice-cream or biscuits for that reason. I do find that the 5 small packets in a box are useful – one portion sizes. I can eat just one of them and not want another.
    Genealace wrote all these great replies and agree with all of them so I decided to quote them to emphasize all her wonderful thoughts:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: my darling husband has been so busy cleaning and packing that if I turn my back, things disappear into cardboard boxes labeled "kitchen, open first" there are at least a dozen boxes that are supposed to be opened first. So far we are eating healthy meals and getting the exercise that we've planned. the weather is beautiful so dog walking has been at the top of the list. the buyers are coming tomorrow morning for a final "walk through" so we want the house to look good and not be too cluttered:bigsmile: tomorrow afternoon we sign the closing papers to sell the house:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I was awake for about two hours in the middle of the night but occupied myself by reading quite a bit of "Murder at Ford's Theatre" by Margaret Truman. Since we started packing, I've gotten a lot of reading done----all in the middle of the night :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Natalie,glad you`re doing good.Good luck with the rehab.
    Hope everyone is enjoying the day.
    Asking for prayers for our family.Some major changes happening due to husband loosing his job 2 1/2 years a go.
    Scary and full of anxiety.
    have a good day.
    HUGS
    jane
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

Hope you all had a good weekend. It was a rainy weekend here, which gave me migraines.

Natalie - so glad to hear from you. Hope your rehab goes well:flowerforyou:

Jane - Sorry to hear about the family issues and I do hope all goes well:cry:

I think I may have miscommunicated how I have treats for my grandkids these days. I should have said that I have treats for the kids but these treats consist of things like the 100% juice fruit gummies in a package, 100% juice popsicles, kid's size yogurt, cheese strings,grapes, lots of other fruits, carrotts and dip, this such as that. The 3 grandkids that we babysit regularly all love fruit and veggies so it is not hard to get them to eat them. When they leave I send home the remainder of the stuff that I have bought so I don't eat it, that's all. They think that my cupboards and freezer are limitless and because for instance the popsicles are 100% juice, I have no problem withe them having as many popsicles as they want, sort of thing, so they think it is great being at Gramma's :laugh:

Sissy - Glad you had a great anniversary. 51 years is a long time. I have been with my DH 21 years this year (second marriage).

Barbie -Bet you cannot wait to get settled:smile:

I did not lose this week, but did not gain, so that is good. I am going to try and walk every day this week.

Take care everyone and have a good week.

Love, Cathy
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Cathy - sorry if I misunderstood your comments about treats for your grandchildren. I know how easy it is to not fully explain what I mean when I'm trying to keep my comments short.

It was a reasonably day and we did have a little rain, but not much. Bought some plants at the market 2 flats for $4 as it was the lady's last day today. Planted up a window box for my DBF and put the rest into the garden. We then went to his apartment to put the brackets up on the balcony. Flowers looked nice when it was done. Then I cleaned his screen doors - they were filthy (he is disabled) so now the living room looks a little lighter. Then while I was there, we decided where he wanted his pictures hung, and I put up a really large poster of a Marc Chagall picture, and then two paintings that my mum had done a few years ago. They were favourites of my dad, but DBF had mentioned that at some point he'd like to have them. I just had a pile of stuff shipped from the UK and they were in the boxes, so he has them, on the understanding that they come back to the family when he no longer wants them.

Hope to be able to lawn bowl tomorrow morning - the forecast has changed and it is now supposed to be warm and sunny.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    Went to those fitness talks today. Got my 6 CEC's, that's what I really went for. To be honest, the talks were quite good. When I went last time, it was pretty boring. But this time they did give you modifications.

Did an hour of Wii balance games today before I went. Tomorrow, I'll take an extremepump class, then get the oil in my car changed, then the free practice bowl. Before I go to the class, tho, I'm going to take some food over to the soup kitchen. They will take leftovers and I have a lasagna that Vince will not eat. He says it's too spicy. I had some and I don't think so, but he refuses to eat it. So it's going to the soup kitchen. Also some hummus that a lady made, some pancake mix that she gave me that I just accepted but know that I'll never use, I have a jar of marmalade that I needed a tbs for something and I know that I'll never use the rest of the marmalade, and a package of yogurt that I won't eat but it was something like $1.79 and I had a 50 cent coupon that was tripled.

You know, I've found that when I have lots of fruit and veges, I feel so much better and have so much more energy. But if I have a real carb-heavy food (refined carbs) and red meat, I feel so sluggish. It's just amazing me how food affects how I feel.

genlace - my children still to this day laugh about their Easter baskets. I didn't put candy in them, I'd put small bags of popcorn, dried fruits, box juices, small bags of other chip-type things. Vince used to comment that he worked for a candy company, but I didn't have candy in the house....lol Today for an Easter basket I usually give Jessica (and now her bf) a fruit basket but when they make it up I have them put in a SMALL chocolate bunny and a bottle of wine.

Many times I try to buy things that I don't like. Like I don't care for Doritos, but Vince wants them so I'll buy them for him and I have no desire for them. He likes the chocolate Twizzlers, I'm not a big chocolate fan. I'm trying to keep only decent food in the house, but it's so hard since Vince wants "junk". I may buy a little for him of stuff that I don't care for.

barbie - I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Bet it can't come soon enough for you!

Jane - good thoughts being sent your way

gee-now this is interesting. I had two servings of the milled flaxseed and soy cereal for dinner. That's more calories than if I'd had one slice of pizza. But the cereal will make me feel better.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I've been awol lately. The social-eating monster got me again. I'm back on track and back posting. Hmm. Funny how those two things go together. :wink:

It's time for bed (have to get up early, before it gets too hot, to take the girls blackberry picking) so I'll just say a quick hello and send my warm wishes to Natalie for her recovery and to Sissy for 51 years. Wow!

I was thinking about what Corqueen said too, about not having enough calories for fruit. When I'm on track, I don't eat a lot of calorie-dense foods. That leaves me lots of calories for fruit and veggies.

:heart:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi Ladies

:flowerforyou: Natalie glad the surgery went well, hope the rehab goes well too.

:flowerforyou: Mimi nice to have you back

:flowerforyou: Jane sorry to hear about your family problems. Hope the changes turn out to be good ones (or at least better than you thought :bigsmile: )

:flowerforyou: Barbie good luck - after you sign how long will it take before you move in to your new house?

:frown: We are taking the cat to the vet later this morning to have a dental, (long overdue I'm ashamed to say :embarassed: ) but we finally plucked up the courage to get him booked in. I'm a little nervous because he is getting on in years now, and everytime we take him to the vet for a check up/bloods he gets so nervous he almost collapses, he panics and his breathing gets very shallow and he goes limp, it's very scary. I'm praying he survives the anaesthetic and trauma of it all.

:smile: Tomorrow I'm going to see my niece's new baby, so I'm looking forward to that. She lives in Hull which is about 35 miles or so from York. I haven't seen my niece since last year, although I keep up with her news on facebook.

:ohwell: Back to work on Wednesday, I'm finding it hard to get myself motivated for work :wink: but need to get back into the swing of things, it's my half year appraisal on Thursday, so need to go through my objectives see how I'm doing against them.

:smile: Yeay I'm back to my pre-op weight of 141 lbs, but now I need to get under 140 ! Tried another dress on for my friends anniversarry party in September and it showed all my tummy/midriff bulges. I'm going to try and start exercising again - no I AM going to start exercising - now where did I put the Gut N Butt exercises!

Take Care everyone

Viv xx
  • barbiecat
    Options

now where did I put the Gut N Butt exercises!

Pelvic lifts -
    Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor, arms at your side palms down. Lift your pelvis up in the air as high as it will go, hold up to 5 seconds and lower. Do this 10 times, when it gets easy add in another set of 10, then up to 2 sets of 10 for 30 total. This never goes above 30.

Abdominal curls -
    Same position as above except your arms are bent so that your hands are touching your ears. Curl up getting your shoulders off the ground. Whatever you get when you curl up is fine. Don't use your momentum to swing up. It is just your shoulders and head that curl up. Again, start with 10, get up to 30, but don't go over 30.

Marching -
    Same position as Pelvic Lifts. Lift one leg at a time so that your calf is parallel with the floor. 10 lifts each leg. When you get to where 30 repetitions are easy, start extending your leg, pulling it back and putting it down. This also never gets over 30 at the higher level.

Side planks -
    Lie on your side, legs bent at knee, keeping a straight line with your body. You are up on your elbow. Upper hand on your hip. Lift your hip off the ground as high as you can and hold up to 5 seconds. Lower down. Start with 5 on each side. As it gets easier add in more repetitions until you get to 30 each side.

:flowerforyou: Viv, I had these exercises saved on my computer and I'm sharing them with you (and anyone else who wants them) and as a reminder that I haven't gotten down on the floor to do any exercises in a long time.. Can I blame it on the fact that my exercise mat has been in storage for over a month:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: the actual moving date seems very fluid. We'll get the keys to the new house when the deed records shortly after we sign the purchase papers which will be either late today or early tomorrow. the young strong men with trucks are scheduled to move furniture on Saturday but yesterday the leader of the group called to say that he has the week off from work and might be able to move us during the week. So all I can do is take it one day at a time (on minute at a time )

:flowerforyou: Viv, I'm thinking good thoughts for your kitty at the vet. Cats are so smart that they can get themselves all worked up with worry like people.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Mimi, I have missed you. You are like part of my family. Someone gave me a bunch of zucchini and I cooked it in the microwave with onions. Hubby cleaned the oven in preparation for our move so there will be no more roasting until we get into the new house.

:bigsmile: Time to take the frisky poodles for a walk :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • 4genieb
    4genieb Posts: 9
    Options
    i'd love to join in this group. I have been on the site for about one month. Made some good fitness changes and I'm working on changing my eating habits. I have 15 pounds to lose and am discouraged that I didn't lose not one pound last week, but did lose 3 inches in my waist in the last month. I need the encouragement to keep on with better food choices.
    :flowerforyou: genie
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone

Kathy (pjsmom) – if your DD buys ‘junk’ you should tell her to keep it in her room or in a secret place so you don’t see it. If it is ‘junk’ then she must be responsible for it. I’m like so many others here – if I buy something then I can’t stop eating it – don’t buy ice-cream or biscuits for that reason. I do find that the 5 small packets in a box are useful – one portion sizes. I can eat just one of them and not want another.

This is a good suggestion and one I have tried. This is not my house, however, so I cannot just lay down some rules. I do try to keep it all on one shelf so I don't have to have it near the other food and that helps some. Hopefully they will go their own way within the year and then it will be easier as my son doesn't like to have the 'junk' in the house, either. (I live with my son and right now he and my daughter's family are sharing a house.)

Jane--Many prayers for you and your family. I hope things improve soon!

Sissy--I'm sorry I missed your anniversary. I'm so glad it was good! 51 years--WOW!!!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    Getting organized for my week and wanted to catch up with the post here and get a dose of motivation...thank you all for your posts. We went to our friends for dinner last night. They live in a condo on a harbor. It was a great night with lots of laughs and good friends. The couple took a cooking class in New Orleans and they made jambalaya. It was delicious. Earlier in the day I had an ocular migrane (I haven't had one in a long time) so I tried to get through my strength training class but I did need to listen to my body and stop. It did develop into the headache part but the meds did take care of it for the most part. It's so frustrating when things like that get in the way. When I think of what some people have to deal with, I want to put myself in a corner for having such a pity party!! Have a great day.

Marilyn….I hope you enjoy the exercise program. You helped me realize that I need to look at what I have been doing for exercise and I think I need to change it up.

Vicki…good to see you here again. I am getting tired of the heat (even though I know that I will be grumbling about the snow and cold in a few months). I really love mild temps…in the 70’s with low humidity.

Natalie…so good to see your posts. Ice and elevate…..make that your mantra!!!

Barbie…. I laughed when I read about your husband and the packing….that is how my husband and I are “cleaning out “ the cellar except our roles are reversed. I put things in the throw away bag and they suddenly reappear! I bed you can’t wait until you are settled in your new place. I read at night when I want to get back to sleep to…. Hang in there. How was the book?? Also…thanks for the Gut and Butt exercises…. I definitely need work in that area.

Jane…..hugs to you and your family.

Cathy…. Not gaining is a victory. I know how easy I can show a gain so staying even is a good thing for my body too.

Michele….I definitely feel a connection between what I eat and the energy level in my body. When I go on “old habits automatic” and I chose quick carbs (bread/crackers), I know that it gets me in trouble.

Mimi…. I agree with you that when I come to MFP and log in and read some threads I remember to stay on track.

Viv…I hope your cat does well with the procedure.

Genie…Welcome to this board. So much good information and motivation on this board. The thing I like about this thread is that we are “at that age” where losing weight is different than it is for a 20 or 30 year old so hearing other people’s stories, ideas, strategies really helps. It motivates me to log in, record my food, and get to the gym or move everyday.
  • janielee78
    Options
    I would like to join this group! :smile: I haven't been at it for very long but am determined! Please add me as a friend so we can help each other! 51 years strong & wanting to loose 35 pounds! I have never really dieted untill now. So any words of advice is appreciated! Thanks Everyone! Have a Great Day!

Janie
  • tobybear
    tobybear Posts: 109
    Options
    I would like to join this group if it is okay. I am at work now and thought I would check in real quick, I will read through the rest of the threads when I get home.

I qualify, I am 57.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone

Welcome to Genie, Janie and Tobybear. There is a lot of support here.

My advice (always) is don't set your goals too high. A goal is a moveable feast. So instead of saying I need to lose 35 lbs, you really need to lose 1 or 2 lbs. When those are gone you can set another goal for 1 or 2 lbs. OK, we have it in the background that we want to lose a whole lot more than 1 or 2, but the goal for this week is a reasonable achievable target.

I find that the tracking on this site is very manageable. I was on WW for a long time and had lost with them but just can't cope with their new points system as it was no longer intuitive for me.

Anyway I lawn bowled for 90 minutes this morning and now I must do my Spanish homework before my class a little later. Teaching tonight, so a busy day all in all.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Stopping to say Hi!

I hope that everyone has a great week.

Remember, you are probably doing better than you give yourself credit for doing.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :laugh: :laugh: now the waiting begins........there is nothing left to pack......everything that isn't packed is something we are using.........there is some minor hold-up with the lender funding our buyers and until this house is sold we're not handing over any more money to buy the other other house, etc, etc, etc, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so we took a walk and now we are at separate computers passing the time.:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Welcome to Genie, Janie and Tobybear.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: the women on this thread changed my life.:bigsmile: I hope you will check in every day, post your food and exercise, and set some reasonable goals. I found that setting goals for how much weight to lose didn't work, but setting goals for my own behavior and attitude was something that I could control.:bigsmile: Goals like drinking 8 glasses of water a day or walking a certain distance or posting every bite are the goals that will help you lose weight and are ones you can work on. When my goal was eight glasses of water a day, sometimes I would have to stand in the kitchen and drink three glasses of water at bedtime to meet my goal. When walking 10,000 steps a day became my goal, I walked up and down the hall in the evening if I hadn't walked enough during the day.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:bigsmile: the sun is finally shining after it being 55 degrees all morning :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome-Genie,Janie,and Tobybear.Lots of support,info and just some wonderful women.I agree,loosing wt at our age is different from when we were younger.make attainable goals.baby steps,it`s a life long change.
    good luck to you all
    HUGS
    jane
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hello Ladies:

I hope you are having a good Monday. It was a very humid day here today.

Genealace - You have good advice to give - set small goals and work towards them:smile:

Mimi - I am so glad to hear from you. I have missed you:blushing:

Viv - Hope your cat is okay. Congrats on your weight loss:wink:

Barbie - I do hope you can get your move on sooner than later. This must be driving you crazy:tongue:

Genie, Janie and Tobybear - Welcome, you will like it here:happy:

Sally - It is true, there is motivation in these threads:smile:

I actually jogged for the first time in years for 30 minutes today. I was so proud of myself. I know it was not for not a long time, but it was for me:laugh:

Well, have a good evening My Friends. Talk to you tomorrow.

Love, Cathy xx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    Viv - barbie is right, cats are smart and get themselves worked up.

barbie - do you know that this summer I've gotten lots of tomatoes and cukes from people's gardens but not one single zucchini? Not that I'm complaining about the tomatoes or cukes, mind you. You know something, a lady gave me some cukes and I cut them up for dinner tonight. But they were so very bitter! I honestly didn't eat them. I don't think I have the heart to tell her they were bitter, but they were. For me not to eat something (especially a vege), now that's saying something. Which reminds me that I want to send a quick email to the lady who brought me the tomatoes.

genie - we'd LOVE to have you. Keep posting, you'll get lots of good tips, hints, and make lots of great pals. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Remember - even tho you didn't lose weight, it's all about the inches, and you're doing wonderful!

Did the extreme pump class today, then got the oil in my car changed, then we went to the senior practice bowl. The lanes were really weird, my ball would get about 5' from the pins and suddenly hook. It took me 2 games to figure out how to bowl the lanes, and out of 4 games I broke 100 twice. We got a coupon for 10 free games. You're really only supposed to use one/person but the woman who is the manager gave us all 8 games on that coupon. It really isn't any skin off the alley's back, it's coming from AMF. I did make 2 apple breads, I think I'll give her one. She mentioned that she's never had anything that I made and gave them so I'll give that just to her. The other one I'm going to put in my freezer for when I need to give something to someone.

Tomorrow I'll do a downloadable spin workout, then get my bangs trimmed, then do some food shopping (Vince refused to eat the other lasagna that I got so I'll get him one that he'll eat), then go play mahjongg. The nice thing is that at this place they have a refrigerator so while I'm playing my groceries can be kept in the refrig.

Sallie and Genie - the other thing that I like about this board is that we're not a bunch of 20 or 30-somethings. There's something to be said for life experiences. Plus, it's great to be able to ask someone about something that you're going thru but they've already gone thru (like a child's divorce)

Janie - welcome, welcome, welcome! Same to you, tobybear!

Cathy - congrats on the jogging!

Think I'll post this and then shut down. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, All,

Jane: I am thinking of you and your family and sending all good thoughts & prayers your way. Take care of yourself.

Genie, Janie & Tobybear: WE are happy to have you here. It is the best place for support and friendship. Look forward to getting to know you!

Barbie; Hoping paperwork and details get sorted out quickly for your closing. It isn't fun to be "Hanging"...and you can't do much with everything packed up, can you? Good for you for walking away your time...and reading in the middle of the night. I understand that!

Mimi: SO glad to hear from you again. I understand completely. You're here so all is well!

Cathy: Jogging for 30 minutes!!!! Way to go! That's fantastic.

Off to bed...have a nice hike planned tomorrow with a good friend here. Still not doing so great with my food choices, but moving around a lot, so hope I can get straight here. I agree, when I am eating more carbs (what I've been doing lately) I do not feel as well as when I eat mostly fruits, veggies and a bit of protein & whole grain carbs). Ahh...tomorrow is a new day!

Take care, Dear Ladies, Kackie