what shoes do you wear to exercise in?

124»

Replies

• stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Brooks for everything. I need the stability for pronation.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    These for the weight room: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0KADAN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x6fcbzt5rwvg.png

These on the bike or spin class: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YW2LJ8Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

92rniir3to57.png

I have a wide foot, so mountain shoes on the bike and the NB above are available in 4E width...
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Converse to lift.
    Brooks to run/walk.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I wear my Vibram Five Finger shoes. They simulate being barefoot and are more natural. Not cheap though. I think I paid about $100 for them, but that's about what most running shoes go for. :love:
    I got mine directly from China. 2 pair for the same price.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Otomix power trainer. Flat bottoms with flexible ankle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.pngpwhdnszg9l2j.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    For rowing, the way-too-big ones that came attached to the rowing shell (yes, the shoes are routinely bolted in). They look like Nikes, but very old and ratty. They're so old, they still have ties: The modern ones have velcro with a pull-strap, for safety. (Don't worry, since they're so over-sized, there's no safety issue. There's also no performance issue. Giant rowing shoes are the norm in shared boats, though this one is no longer shared, mostly.)

For spin, a super cheap pair of clearance Dr. Scholl sneaker-like shoes. (I'm not a clips person; the spin bikes have a strapping "cage", and I don't bike enough to trust myself with clips on the road.)

For weight training, since I do it at home, whatever: Often barefoot or socks, as there's carpet.

Are you sensing an "I'm cheap and not fashion sensitive" pattern? ;)
  • tmanross
    tmanross Posts: 35 Member
    ASICS. What is asic gels though?
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Brooks Glycerine are the only shoes for me. I wear orthopedic inserts, so it's a wider shoe with a neutral stride & it works for me.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I wear either converse or a pair of UA trainers for lifting and Mizuno Waveriders for running
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Chucks all day
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I run in Adidas Boost. Super comfy on the toes (a lot of issues from the 8 small toes being broken multiple times in my youth), and were fitted for my gait.

I usually lift in socks, sounds weird, but I'm just more comfortable being able to feel the floor with my feet.

Workout shoes depend on what kind of workouts you're doing and your body. For running, it is important to get running shoes that are properly fitted to you. While I'm not 100% sure, other exercises are probably the same: get shoes that fit you best and are suited for your needs
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,075 Member
    another upvote for asics. i like the fit, support and stiffness for my activities. they also wear well over time.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I have rock climbing shoes, water shoes, road bike shoes, mountain bike shoes, ski boots, hiking shoes, hiking boots, and down booties for backpacking in cold places. Plus just regular shoes.
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    I have rock climbing shoes, water shoes, road bike shoes, mountain bike shoes, ski boots, hiking shoes, hiking boots, and down booties for backpacking in cold places. Plus just regular shoes.

You sound like me when I’m trying to justify my shoe collections to the hubby 😂
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Brooks Ghost 10s for all my walking, and New Balance 1080s for the gym.

I am PICKY about trainers, because I have bone damage in my left ankle (I broke it over fifteen years ago and nobody noticed until ten years later) and my right calf/achilles aren't too clever either. With the right shoes I can walk five miles a day plus bounce around in the gym - with the wrong shoes, everything is pain before I've gone a mile.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    I actually just got a pair of ASICS gel fit Sana today!! Website has em on clearance cheap! I liked the earlier version better but these are nice. I wear for casual exercise and weights. Running I wear brooks.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    A podiatrist recommended Dr. Comfort with inserts for my over pronation and that is what I wear. I don't think they would work well for running, but for walking I like them a lot. They are pricey, but they last. I have had ASICS with the gel before and I loved them.
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    New balance since there is a store outlet close to my home an there good quality shoes.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    For running I have a pair of Nike Air Max Vomero and a pair of the Pegasus too, the second with the custom insert. Both are real nice, the Vomero are more padded. For machine cardio and resistance I have some random other Nikes with moderate support. For hiking and trail running I have the Saucony Peregrine (6 I think) and they are awesome.
  • barefootcassie
    barefootcassie Posts: 27 Member
    I wear my Vibram Five Finger shoes. They simulate being barefoot and are more natural. Not cheap though. I think I paid about $100 for them, but that's about what most running shoes go for. :love:

I dont like having anything between my toes so I cant wear these, but I still wear barefoot shoes. For the gym I wear skora shoes, and for hiking and running I wear merrells. When I used to live in IL and not on the surface of the sun (AZ), i ran completely barefoot.