Who likes to bow hunt / archery?

Options

Replies

• IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'd like to progres to that, eventually.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I am still on my first bow, a Parker Buckshot. I believe this will be my 4th season bow hunting. I havent brought home a deer yet but I know there is definitely one less doe because of me. Once I get my first deer, then I will consider purchasing a new bow.

I'm still trying to work on strength so I can use a climber, but I am just not confident of using one yet. We are lucky enough to have a place where we can leave up stands but there is some awesome public land nearby that doesn't seem to attract too many hunters that I will need to be able to use a climber for. Hopefully next year I will have enough weight off and will have enough strength to be confident with a climber. Still working on getting into a lifting program at this time.

Wisconsin is all white tail deer as far as I know. But my husband got me out the last 2 seasons for spring turkey as well. Never saw anything last year but this year I had a bead on a tom and would have brought home a nice one but there was a hen right behind him, they were walking side by side and I just couldnt pull that trigger!! My husband told me 50% or more turkey hunters this year wouldnt even have seen any turkey let alone drew a bead on a tom.

Coolest thing while were sitting on the ground waiting on the turkeys (this was on that public land) we had 5 deer run right into us, stood about 10 yards away and just watched us for a few minutes. It was so awesome!

OP, there is NOTHING like sitting in a stand and watching the deer walk in to you, never knowing you are even there! I've been lucky to experience it 4 times so far. 2 missed shots, 1 bad shot and 1 we never found but she bled like a waterfall all over and then it just dried up.

This weekend we will be stepping up practice, bow season starts in Wisconsin a month from tomorrow!!!!!! Nothin like the smell of dirt on your clothes, and the crisp chill of the morning about 30 minutes before dawn!!! Yehaa!!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I bow hunt, elk mainly, (starts Saturday) I have a PSE Thunderbolt Infinity, and a Bowtech Allegiance. I I also rifle hunt deer, anything that flies, and I'm big into fly fishing (tie my own flies too) and ice fishing.

Rigger
  • IZackV13
    Options
    I bow hunt, elk mainly, (starts Saturday) I have a PSE Thunderbolt Infinity, and a Bowtech Allegiance. I I also rifle hunt deer, anything that flies, and I'm big into fly fishing (tie my own flies too) and ice fishing.

Rigger

Awesome. Can I join you on a hunt sometime? :-)
  • kalyrichmond
    kalyrichmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I bow hunt deer. Unfortunately I did not draw a tag this year...keeping my fingers crossed for next year. :happy:
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Matthews Switchback XT, usually out of a lader stand in North Alabama. But just until rifle season opens. Then it's the browning a-bolt .300 win mag.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Georgia looking forward to September.
    I use an old Darton compound bow.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Shoot a Diamond Outlaw bow and I've got a pretty big assortment of shotguns & rifles - my favorite being my Remmy 870 and my Browning .300, respectively.

Turkey is hands down my favorite to hunt, but I'll go out for deer and duck as well. As a rule I won't take anything under a 6 pointer, and their neck has to be almost as full as their chest.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I've shot recurve bows all my life as a kid and finally got my first compound bow (Diamond Infinite Edge). I've been the "dog" for my brothers, to push the deer while deer hunting and now it's my turn to hunt this fall. I don't like rifles as much as hand guns so being out there hunting with them, that's the job I got. LOL! I do love to shoot my hand guns though! Grew up fishing as well although I haven't fished in a while now. Now I race motorcycles! :happy:
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I shoot recurve and long bow. want to get into it with my daughter but cannot seem to find any quality used equipment for a decent price. Have lots of open area out back and a few clubs around town....
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Neglected to mention what I shoot. Prime Centroid. Easton carbon target arrows.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Archery is offered at my range and I am growing more intrigued. Not a hunter but a sport shooter (pistol and rifle)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I used to have an outoodr TV show all about Arizona hunting, fishing, camping, gun dogs, off road, and more. Big focus on family and heritage, and telling the story of reall hunters. It was a passion of mine.

I still wingshoot and waterfowl each year. I greatest love is quail hunting. I track those little buggers from Sonoran desert to Pinon and Juniper forests. Love it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Also have the boys and I shooting bows. Both have decent Bear compounds.

7871_4902784689107_572009488_n.jpg

Buddy's elk hunt. Was clear and "cool" just two days before this. We got BLITZ.

6947_3929189869845_2143393680_n.jpg

Sons first dove on the wing shooting all by himself. Very proud of his safety and control. Great Dad moment.

405948_3524401430387_1915031724_n.jpg

Of course....boys and toys. ;)

64790_2719056537268_1558978726_n.jpg

My time.

2343_1026766431073_4855_n.jpg

9021_1112130325117_6697006_n.jpg

And I have a million more of these memories.
    That's my lifestyle.
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bowhunter here! I live in Dallas and hunt near my hometown in southwest Oklahoma. I shoot a PSE Carrera, goldtip arrows and Vortex broadheads. I have been bowhunting about 30 years. I was in the Air Force in AZ late 80's-early 90's and have harvested bull Elk, javelina and Mule deer with my bow including one trophy Mule deer in velvet. In Oklahoma I have been fortunate enough to arrow quite a few deer(biggest is a 10pt), hog and turkey. Hunters in the know take a doe! They taste great and numbers are way up in our part of the state. You are right about needing to be in shape to optimize your bowhunting opportunities! The mystical flight of the arrow never gets old. May your arrows fly true and blood trails easy to follow. Good hunting!
    I also hunt with a custom made longbow and a Bear recurve.
  • cagefan
    cagefan Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Mathews solocam and hoyt here ! muzzleload as well! ice fishing since I tend to get a little seasick in a boat!!
  • IZackV13
    Options
    AWESOME to see all the bow hunters and archers here! It really can become a passion/addiction, and it's really cool to hear from other people who have a similar love for it.

Very cool!
  • fatty233
    fatty233 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is pretty old. Are there any bow hunters left on MFP? I’m heading out next weekend to hang trail cameras. Archery season opener will be here before you know it.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    spiralated wrote: »
    Actually - I'd like to start archery (I've been shooting since I was young) but I'm unsure what kind of equipment to start with and its so hard to get service in the stores as a girl sometimes....

Depending on where you are, find a good local archery shop or club and discuss with them your interest. Most shops will setup a bow for you to test shoot so you can find what you like and what works for you. Heck, if you were close, I'd give you a couple of recommendations.

As for myself, I'm an avid Archer. I shoot compound for hunting, 3D and paper targets. I shoot recurve for 3D and paper targets. Shoot year round, leagues during the winter and 3D shoots both locally and around the US.

Compound bows:
    2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo (hunt/3D)
    2015 Hoyt Podium-X40 (target)
    2008 PSE Rogue-X (old bow used for hunting and 3D)

Recurve bows:
    2015 Hoyt Dorado (takedown recurve for 3D and plan to hunt in next year)
    2014 Hoyt Fusion Ion-X (Olympic recurve)

I also have a number of "play" composite plastic bows for teaching people to shoot as well as playing around (safely of course!). Used to hold a level 2 USA Archery coaches certificate but let it expire as didn't do much with it and prefer to teach people to shoot for fun rather than pay.

• ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had to give up hunting due to my morbid obesity -- but now that I've lost 155 lbs, I'm looking forward to hunting this fall! I just finished assembling and camo-painting a ladder-stand, and I'm ready to practice with my old Bear compound bow. Between whitetail deer and ringneck pheasant, there's plenty of hunting to do out here in western Minnesota.

Which reminds me, I need to go break some clays with my Browning A-5 if I'm going to hit any birds this season!