Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If you could choose how you die

Replies

• Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    without regrets...
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I'd like to go quietly in my sleep like my grandfather...not screaming and shouting as you plunge over a cliff like the people on the bus he was driving.

WHA?! :#
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Lethal injection. Quick and convenient. It's better than dying a slooowwwwwwww and painful death.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    ...with a complete sushi board right next to me...

No, no, with an EMPTY sushi board next to me!
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    In my sleep, natural causes. Dying with my partner at the same time like that film Bicentenial man (robin williams) lol
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Being shot out of a cannon at 20,000 feet from the back of a military cargo plane over the White House! If I was given weeks to live, well.... Yep!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited July 2018
    The above is truly insightful based on other health info/stats I know. If I could choose my exit, I'd be holding an animal while the vet was killing it...but the poison would go into MY paw (hand) and take me away instead, kinda like capital punishment for trying to ”play God” with another of His creations. Based on who I really am, my doctor promises that the diabetes/weight, even if I reach my healthy weight first, is gonna take me at exactly 70 years of age/the morning of my 70th birthday. If by chance I'm given the chance to stay until the day after that birthday, I will drink enough water such that hyponatremia takes me instead, because everybody knows we ALWAYS follow doctors’ predictions/orders, no matter how dangerous/bleak they are.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Quickly and painlessly? IE preferably not in agony after a long illness but having said that, even then, the end can be quick and peaceful. I was there near the end of my sister's death, after a long illness (bone cancer) She was in a side ward in a hospital, surrounded by family and given excellent care and pain relief by her medical team. She looked to be at peace.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited July 2018
    My step father was having a discussion with some friends on this topic. When it came to him, he said he'd like to go in his sleep.
    That night, at 1:30am he got his wish. Died from cardiac arrest in his sleep.
    He walked 4 to 5 miles a day. And even at 72 was doing 100 sit ups and pushups every day.
    But that didn't prevent that one last blood clot.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I guess if given the choice I'd choose to die after my children and before my wife. As for how I guess anything quick and painless.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,843 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I guess if given the choice I'd choose to die after my children and before my wife. As for how I guess anything quick and painless.

Why after your children?
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    edited August 2018
    Earlier this year, I did a stress test and then a heart cath and was informed I have a vein that clogged but too small to be shunted. And since the #1 reason for death of women in this country is heart disease, that was a wake up call. My father had open heart surgery at 79, but he is still kicking at 92. My grandfather died at 92 - he just went to bed one night and didn't wake up. My mother died having lung transplant surgery at 64, but she smoked her entire life. I do not want to die of heart disease or lung disease (although making the transition under anesthesia seems not too bad a way to go.
    My mother in law died of alzheimers and that would be an awful way to go -technically she died of pneumonia, but at that point the person she was, had left the premises.
    I guess that I would like to go to sleep and not wake up - probably from a heart attack or stroke in my sleep. Most of you are young enough that you have never given this a serious thought, but at 63 and my husband is 71, it is often something that I have considered. When you go to the Dr. and serious things start cropping up, it is a lot more serious than when you are in your 30s.
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    My father told me once that he wanted my mother to die first and I didn't get it really. But later he told me he wanted to take care of her rather than her having to take care of him. It didn't work out that way though, he went first and she and I both took care of him.

I'd like to know I'm dying but wouldn't want to suffer for too long. I don't like surprises so dying in my sleep doesn't appeal to me.

An interesting discussion!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited August 2018
    Mountaineering accident.

Edit to add: I think I would be afraid and unhappy dying in a hospital. In a beautiful place doing what I love sounds more peaceful.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Why after your children?

The more I think about it, after my children could be unselfish. It spares them the pain of watching you die.

I don't want my child to have a short life. But I'd like to spare her the pain of having to go through my death.

So she can go at 100 and then I'll die sometime after 133 :)
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Well, given known family deaths, it looks like I could either die at age 99 in the Alzheimer's ward completely oblivious to the world around me. OR at age 76 suddenly, of cardiac arrest. Those are common on my dad's side. Alzheimer's seems to hit the women, and pulmonary hypertension on the men's. There are some emphysema deaths in there too, but those were caused directly by smoking and occupational lung pollution. On my mom's type 1 diabetes (dodged that bullet) and kidney failure. My mom is a breast cancer survivor with no known family history (she's the 1st). I don't dwell on it much, but getting Alzheimer's especially at a young age (50's 60's) kind of terrifies me. Compared to what people (and their family) with Alzheimer' s go through, cardiac arrest doesn't sound too bad. However I go, I would like to at least see my 70's, and hopefully nothing too traumatizing & expensive for my loved ones. One of my goals is to try to exercise and keep a healthy weight to live as long as I can. I have seen a sedentary lifestyle take way too many family members. People that would have lived longer, or got through sickness easier if they taken better care of themselves earlier on. The "I'm too old to care about my body" mentality drives me nuts.
  • hotel4dogs
    hotel4dogs Posts: 72 Member
    In the midst of absolutely mind blowing sex :)
  • ToxicRain1098
    ToxicRain1098 Posts: 176 Member
    I don't know why anyone would want to suffer in death makes no sense to me .
    I want to die fast and painless. I dread it but I know it's going to happen .