Eating enough?

Options
To achieve my goal, I’m on 1480 calorie diet plan. Since I’ve started about a week ago (using app for only 3 days) I struggle to consume all the calories. I usually get about 1000-1250. As an example, for lunch I had 3 egg white sand which made with half a stick of celery, 1tsp mayo and 1 Tbs ff Greek yogurt on thin sliced whole grain bread and 10 baby carrots on the side. It was a total of 380. Then my dinner was healthy as well at about 450 calories, a good sized portion too! Breakfast was a banana. So that’s only 930 so I had a couple pieces of whole grain bread to bring it up to 1050. I feel full and very satisfied. Then if I exercise I’m back down to 700 or so calories. Is this going to ultimately mess me up and send my body in to starvation mode and slow my metabolism? Because that’s what I always read about. Can anyone share their experience?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs, full fat yogurt (or all mayo), thicker bread. Add protein and fat to breakfast. And peanut butter. Always peanut butter.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't exist. At the very least aim for 1200, if not your goal. If you still can't reach it, add in some more calorie dense items.
  • Beeingthin
    Beeingthin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok, so whole egg, yes to pb, yes to mayo, etc. I’m definitely eating healthy and lots of veggies. I just have a hard time consuming more food because I feel full. I’ll start adding more heathy fat to my diet, that should fix it. Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Beeingthin wrote: »
    Ok, so whole egg, yes to pb, yes to mayo, etc. I’m definitely eating healthy and lots of veggies. I just have a hard time consuming more food because I feel full. I’ll start adding more heathy fat to my diet, that should fix it. Thanks!

Yes...there is more to eating healthy than veg...they are a great source of micro nutrients, but if they are crowding out your other nutritional and calorie needs then you need to adjust. Dietary fat is highly essential to proper nutrition and good health...going super low fat isn't healthy in the least.
  • Beeingthin
    Options
    I’ve been a vegetarian for 23 years now so I’ve always gotten tons of veggies in my diet. Obviously, a lot of other non-meat foods can cause weight gain or I wouldn’t be trying to lose weight. I guess I’m still operating on old think from my 20s about all fat free, low cal foods to lose weight. I still feel anxiety and guilt when I don’t eat that way when I’m trying to lose weight!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Are you weighing 5g of mayo etc or just using a spoon?
  • Beeingthin
    Options
    Tavistock i measure everything out. If I’m cooking for the family, I add all the calories up that I’ve mixed in the pot (as a vegetarian, I usually make one dish meals) then divide it by however many potions. I’m very meticulous about it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    To achieve my goal, I’m on 1480 calorie diet plan. Since I’ve started about a week ago (using app for only 3 days) I struggle to consume all the calories. I usually get about 1000-1250. As an example, for lunch I had 3 egg white sand which made with half a stick of celery, 1tsp mayo and 1 Tbs ff Greek yogurt on thin sliced whole grain bread and 10 baby carrots on the side. It was a total of 380. Then my dinner was healthy as well at about 450 calories, a good sized portion too! Breakfast was a banana. So that’s only 930 so I had a couple pieces of whole grain bread to bring it up to 1050. I feel full and very satisfied. Then if I exercise I’m back down to 700 or so calories. Is this going to ultimately mess me up and send my body in to starvation mode and slow my metabolism? Because that’s what I always read about. Can anyone share their experience?

Sometimes when you completely change your diet, it may take a week or 2 for your stomach and your appetite to adjust to how you're eating. So it's not a big deal in the short term. But you definitely don't want it to be a long term thing.

Before you start trying to eat more though, revisit your logging. Make sure you are using accurate entries in the database (many were incorrectly entered by users) and start using a food scale whenever possible.

There's a definite learning curve with food logging and eating at a deficit in general. Just be patient and keep tweaking as you learn :smile: These posts might be useful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Tavistock i measure everything out. If I’m cooking for the family, I add all the calories up that I’ve mixed in the pot (as a vegetarian, I usually make one dish meals) then divide it by however many potions. I’m very meticulous about it.

Peanut butter it is then!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,486 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a vegetarian for 23 years now so I’ve always gotten tons of veggies in my diet. Obviously, a lot of other non-meat foods can cause weight gain or I wouldn’t be trying to lose weight. I guess I’m still operating on old think from my 20s about all fat free, low cal foods to lose weight. I still feel anxiety and guilt when I don’t eat that way when I’m trying to lose weight!

I've been vegetarian for 44 years, and lost weight just fine at age 59-60 eating to my protein and fat goals as a minimum, going from obese to BMI 22 in just less than a year (while hypothyroid, BTW). Just focus on eating your whole calorie goal or very close, plus a fair fraction of any exercise calories (I ate all of mine most days); and getting solid nutrition.

You'll do just fine at your "advanced" age. ;)