One Ingredient "Ice Cream"

Options
2»

Replies

• Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've had the Halo mint chocolate chip and I think a choco chip cookie dough one. Except I have no ice cream self control so I don't buy it very often.

I generally avoid bananas more so for the carbs than the calories... but I miss them and love them. My evening protein shake usually consists of a scoop of protein powder, 1tbsp of PB2 and half a banana. Mmmmm
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    saragd012 wrote: »
    Maybe she has dairy sensitivities? I love banana ice cream, I usually make mine with a touch of coconut milk and protein powder. It tastes amazing, doesn't upset my sleep the way real ice-cream can, and helps me reach my protein goals. All wins.

Serious question...how does ice cream upset sleep? Something having to do with dairy?

Sorry I ghosted @DX2JX2 I totally forgot about this thread. It's 100% related to the dairy; I am a little sensitive to milk (milk and cream kill me, but not yogurt or most cheeses for some reason), so if I eat a bowl of ice cream before bed my stomach is in knots halfway though the night. Occasionally frozen custard or gelato is still worth it tbh, so I just make sure to eat it earlier in the day when I'm still moving around a lot, doesn't seem as bad as when I'm trying to sleep! The bananas + protein powder is a very close second on the satisfaction spectrum, so I am not at all unhappy about the trade.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I like the frozen banana faux ice cream or nice cream. I also like regular ice cream and I often find the two to be very close to each other in calories, depending on the brand and additives. Fortunately, we live in a world where I don't have to choose one or the other forever and I can eat them both.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Maybe she has dairy sensitivities? I love banana ice cream, I usually make mine with a touch of coconut milk and protein powder. It tastes amazing, doesn't upset my sleep the way real ice-cream can, and helps me reach my protein goals. All wins.

Serious question...how does ice cream upset sleep? Something having to do with dairy?

Sorry I ghosted @DX2JX2 I totally forgot about this thread. It's 100% related to the dairy; I am a little sensitive to milk (milk and cream kill me, but not yogurt or most cheeses for some reason), so if I eat a bowl of ice cream before bed my stomach is in knots halfway though the night. Occasionally frozen custard or gelato is still worth it tbh, so I just make sure to eat it earlier in the day when I'm still moving around a lot, doesn't seem as bad as when I'm trying to sleep! The bananas + protein powder is a very close second on the satisfaction spectrum, so I am not at all unhappy about the trade.

Maybe you need to be tested for lactose intolerance. Most lactose intolerant people have no problem eating yoghurt because the bacteria has already digested the lactose.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I heard on the radio today that there is a bad banana fungus that could wipe out most of the banana crop on the planet. :( Eat 'em if you like 'em.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I make this because I've tried to eliminate dairy from my diet. Here's another hack - process some dates w/a little water until creamy and it's almost like caramel. Ahhhh, so amazing!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    My kids learned about this from "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood", but they call it banana swirl. They really love it and it helps keep me from tossing overripe bananas. Win/Win.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!!!!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Here's another idea for the lactose intolerant on this thread. I had a dairy free chocolate sorbet last night at a restaurant and it was divine. Going to try to make it one of these weekends. I don't have an ice cream maker so will use a technique I've used previously for sorbets. Freeze like granita, breaking up ice crystals with a fork every 30 minutes or so in a metal tray. Then blitz in the food processor once I have a tray filled with slush before re-freezing in a sealable container.

https://chocolatechocolateandmore.com/chocolate-sorbet/
  • itsalifestylenotadiet
    itsalifestylenotadiet Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Not trying to turn this into an argument, but when someone is trying to make healthy choices/positive changes why do people come out of the woodwork to be negative? Maybe she was a pint a night eater of ice cream at one point and now she has found something that is a better option for her. Maybe she's now lactose intolerant and can't eat regular ice cream because it makes her feel poorly. There is so much unnecessary negativity on these boards its no wonder people give up. If you are posting just to be snarky or just want to be a jerk why not just move on? I'm sure most of us have enough of this IRL and don't need it here when they were just trying to share something positive in their life.

This is the reason I quit participating on these threads. The negatives are so incredibly hard to deal with when no one has a clue what you go thru on a daily basis just to keep off what you've lost. I truly hope I can look past them this time because life is a struggle already for so many of us.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I use frozen strawberries and a frozen greek yogurt cup. Bigger bulk more protein more creamy and mines 155 calories for a big bowl. Yum.
  • itsalifestylenotadiet
    itsalifestylenotadiet Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    sra455 wrote: »
    I stumbled on this recipe for banana ice cream. You simply slice up a banana into disks. Freeze it overnight. And the pulse in a food processor. You can add in bits of other things for different flavor (I did 1 tbs of peanut butter). Follow the instructions exactly.

I did this for the first time today and OMG IT WAS SO GOOD. I couldn't get over it. I want to make this my sweet snack every day. I'm gonna go buy bananas and prep little frozen bags for the week. Seriously, it was so creamy and sweet. If you like bananas, you have to try this!

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-93414

I've done this before too and its very good.
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You could maybe look into using powdered peanut butter to save more calories and a little goes a long way. If you are in the UK, ALDI is selling it this week and I am sure it is £1-2 cheaper than Sainsburys (never bought it before now because of cost)
  • juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    if you're not against using sweeteners, tofu and stevia also make a super delicious and creamy ice cream. It will need an ice cream maker though since it needs to be churned, but I made a peanut butter ice cream with 1 block of silken tofu, 1/4 cup peanut butter, and a few stevia packets. Just put it all in a blender and puree until smooth, then churn it up. It's very velvetty and smooth in texture.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I wish I could get on board with this amazing-sounding trend...but bananas take my breath away (cause anaphylaxis). :'( Is there an equally creamy fruit/one that I could use for mostly the same results (it would for obvious reasons not be perfect, but hopefully comparable in stats and yummyness)?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I wish I could get on board with this amazing-sounding trend...but bananas take my breath away (cause anaphylaxis). :'( Is there an equally creamy fruit/one that I could use for mostly the same results (it would for obvious reasons not be perfect, but hopefully comparable in stats and yummyness)?

Could try other fruit + greek yogurt if you eat yogurt. The small prepackaged greek yogurt cups are always in my freezer for it. Higher protein lower cals with berries
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    She making a healthier choice with the frozen banana since the banana also has fiber and nutrients the processed ice cream typically lacks. If you don't add the PB then gram for gram the plain banana "ice cream" is a better option. I'm sure compared to B&Js PB choices its way less calories.

Good for you OP!

Ice cream also has nutrients, including some that bananas lack. They're different foods, no one choice is going to be "healthier" in all situations.

Out of interest JJR could you give some common examples of when ice cream would be more beneficial nutritionally than bananas as part of a balanced diet.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Oh, thank goodness. I thought this was another one of those cauliflower ice cream threads... :p
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!!!!