Intermittent Fasting...

entdfiv639ha.jpeg
So I’ve recently seen and been involved with discussions on here about IF. With some people calling it rubbish, others saying it doesn’t work, some saying I don’t know what I’m talking about....and so i thought actions speak louder than words. These pictures of me are seven months apart. I initially lost a lot of weight purely through a caloric deficit, however I had no muscle mass no strength, no definition. So I started to clean bulk however did this whilst Intermittent Fasting, doing 16-8, this helped me control my weight gain and keep it to muscle and not fat. People can dispute what I’ve said but that’s the result. It’s not perfect there are people that are bigger, or leaner, but it worked for me. I hope it can work for others!.

Replies

• WarmKrystal
    WarmKrystal Posts: 7 Member
    I was introduced to IF in June and I had lost 22 lbs . I am a believer that it works!! This summer has been hard on me as I’m enjoying myself a little too much and not sticking to my 16:8 ratio. I feel if I don’t get back to it soon, I’m going to gain it all back and I can’t have this happen ( as I have a lot more to go) 😩
    I need a good swift kick in the behind lol

How long have you done IF?
  • jonathanthewlis
    jonathanthewlis Posts: 143 Member
    I was introduced to IF in June and I had lost 22 lbs . I am a believer that it works!! This summer has been hard on me as I’m enjoying myself a little too much and not sticking to my 16:8 ratio. I feel if I don’t get back to it soon, I’m going to gain it all back and I can’t have this happen ( as I have a lot more to go) 😩

I’ve probably done it for a three month period, however I’ve not used it to lose weight although its benefits if doing it are there, I used it to control how I bulked, after working so hard to lose fat I didn’t want to put loads back on trying to bulk. You can get back into it, set day 1 and go! That’s kind of the beauty once you get dat 1 done then day 2 is already set up!
  • srdyce
    srdyce Posts: 2 Member

• srdyce
    srdyce Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I I’ve been wondering, is this something you do every day or a few times a week? I’ve started it this Monday so I’m only on my second day. I’m going to try to keep it up all week and see what happens.
  • Mosstradamuz
    Mosstradamuz Posts: 357 Member
    srdyce wrote: »
    Hi, I I’ve been wondering, is this something you do every day or a few times a week? I’ve started it this Monday so I’m only on my second day. I’m going to try to keep it up all week and see what happens.

There are various methods to do intermittent fasting. Some people do it every day and some do it a couple of times a week. The first method is 16:8, 16 hours fasting and an 8 hour eating window. Then you have the 20:4, 20 hour fasting and a 4 hour eating window. Then you have the 'One Meal A Day' (OMAD) which is a 23 hour fast with a one hour eating window. Lastly you have the 5:2 fast which is 5 days of eating during your regular eating times and 2 days of fasting. @srdyce
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    mosspm123 wrote: »
    srdyce wrote: »

There are various methods to do intermittent fasting. Some people do it every day and some do it a couple of times a week. The first method is 16:8, 16 hours fasting and an 8 hour eating window. Then you have the 20:4, 20 hour fasting and a 4 hour eating window. Then you have the 'One Meal A Day' (OMAD) which is a 23 hour fast with a one hour eating window. Lastly you have the 5:2 fast which is 5 days of eating during your regular eating times and 2 days of fasting. @srdyce

5:2 is eating 500 calories (for women.600 for men) 2 days a week and 5 days you eat at maintenance. its not you eat during your regular eating times. when you eat doesnt matter . if doing 5:2 you could eat all day long and get your maintenance calories in on the 5 days( fasting or not) and the other 2 days you are creating a deficit of calories. doesnt matter if you fast or not. many do 5:2 and while its called fasting many dont have a window of time in which they do the 5:2. so you can still do 16:8 or what have you on the maintenance days if you wanted. it really makes no difference.

you are supposed to eat enough calories to fuel your body as well as your exercise. if you are losing 20 lbs a month(which some of its going to be water) then your deficit is too big unless you are over 300 lbs and anything more than 2lbs a week unless under the care of a dr is not a healthy rate of loss. in the beginning it may be ok but undereating is not healthy. as for how you feel doing IF and before you tell me to try it .I have done 16:8 or 18:6 most of my life(the timing depends on when i get hungry) and I dont feel anymore energetic than when I didnt fast. fasting works for some and may amke some feel like you do but its not going to be the same for everyone.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    b_lade215 wrote: »
    I am a new-grad healthcare practitioner and have maintained IM for about a year now. We actually discussed this in our health/wellness class in school. Some of the science behind it makes sense from a physiological perspective, however we have yet to see high level evidence (RCT's) that supports this to my knowledge. I unintentionally started IM during a clinical rotation (no time for breakfast, early hours leading to me going to bed early (no late night dinners/snacks)). I went from 145 to 128 in about 4 months, and have since maintained this loss. Other contributors to my personal weight loss include cutting processed wheat intake by about 60-80%, and in general eating higher quality, less processed foods. I also only follow IM strictly on weekdays, intermittently on weekends. I've linked an article that runs through some of the theory, it may be useful if you are curious. As a provider, I like IM better than other "diets" because it is flexible to patients' dietary needs and doesn't eliminate specific foods/food groups. Obviously if you are diabetic or need help regulating blood sugar/glycemic index, fasting may be dangerous so you should consult with your RD/MD.

http://burnfatnotsugar.com/assets/if.pdf

weight was lost because you were in a deficit. you mean IF not IM. IF is not a diet per say its just a window of time in which you eat your calories.if you kept the weight off its because you arent eating enough to gain weight. you are eating enough to maintain your weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    sylvia270 wrote: »
    I know some people that are getting results with if. Some people are combining it with a diet such as low carb or keto. They love the great results.

yes because they are in a deficit of calories doing it if they are losing weight. I lost weight fasting in a deficit and I lost weight not fasting in a deficit. see how that works? keto or low carb isnt needed either but its a personal choice, or for many its a choice for health reasons to go low carb/keto.you will see results if you are in a deficit of calories.
  • laurenolauren
    laurenolauren Posts: 10 Member
    I’ve been doing this for over a year, but purely by accident my body is just set up that way I don’t get hungry before 1pm. I don’t have time to eat before that. I haven’t had any problems or lost any major amounts of weight. But I like it
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    I'm into it. Ive heard all abt it, ive tried it for a couple of days and really enjoyed it.
    I've got to somehow getting it in rhythm to everything else. I think 1 meal would work mostly for me at the end of the day when the family come home.