Abdominal fat! But I’m classed as underweight.

Options

Replies

• christinaannelewis9655
    Options
    Okay thank you so much 😊 and eating? Just healthy food and not worry about calories? ...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain you want to be in a surplus. This thread might help for more information.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners/p1

Also check out the recomp thread and lifting link posted above
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I would always recommend tracking your calories. There's no better tool to know where you are in your process and it's a lifetime healthy habit.

You can eat too much healthy food also, so don't just focus on that. I would recommend finding out how many calories you would need to eat to maintain your current weight. Do that by inputting your information into MFP and set your weight loss goal to zero or select maintenance (can't remember if that's an option or not). Once you know how much you can eat, eat what you like and control your portions to eat the amount of calories that fit your goal.

Adjust as you go, but don't adjust constantly. It takes 4-6 weeks or more to determine if you are doing things right on the diet side.

In the meantime, start a lifting program. You won't be sorry.
  • christinaannelewis9655
    Options
    It’s not very large, I’m just not happy with it, but I can grab about 2” if fat 😳 I would like to get rid of that and tone but in a way that won’t cause me to be underweight and ill.

Even if you achieve a "flat" stomach, chances are you'll still be able to grab some fat/skin. Especially when sitting. That's perfectly normal. What you can do is make everything "look" better.
    Will that help get rid of the abdominal fat? .... It sounds like it’s going to be months before I see results 😬

Yes, yes it will be. The good news is that you are already thin, do results will show that much quicker. But be prepared for it to take time. Best thing about that, God willing we all have time in a abundance. You can do nothing and look the same or worse in s couple of years, or start applying the advice given here and look dramaticly different in a couple of years.
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Will that help get rid of the abdominal fat? .... It sounds like it’s going to be months before I see results 😬

Anything short of liposuction is going to take time. A good strength training program will give you some results in a couple months, how much so is unpredictable.

Agreed
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What is eat at maintenance? I am prepared to do the work. Eat healthy and whatever excersise it takes but I just don’t know how 😂 Last time I tried for a few months and it seems I don’t do things right. Eg. I didn’t give myself a break day or change the area to work on etc. I literally need someone who knows what they are doing to write me a menu and work out routine and I’ll do it 😂

If you are already easily maintaining your weight, just keep doing what you are doing and add progressive strength training. Maybe even add in a 250cal treat each day. An ice cream, handful of nuts, candy bar, whatever.

Eating at maintenance is eating to keep your weight as is.. not losing, not gaining (within 3- 5lbs up or down)

Again you can start there for a while but I strongly urge you to think about gaining weight to really improve your body composition.

You urge me to gain weight? I don’t understand though as I need to loose it? ... or that’s what I believe I need to do, around my stomach that is.

When you are your size, don't think about weight. You can totally gain weight and look smaller. I'm close to your stats. There's a progress photo under my profile showing how drastically your body composition can change at the same weight. And what a 10lb gain can look like.
    It’s not very large, I’m just not happy with it, but I can grab about 2” if fat 😳 I would like to get rid of that and tone but in a way that won’t cause me to be underweight and ill.

Even if you achieve a "flat" stomach, chances are you'll still be able to grab some fat/skin. Especially when sitting. That's perfectly normal. What you can do is make everything "look" better.

Yes, yes it will be. The good news is that you are already thin, do results will show that much quicker. But be prepared for it to take time. Best thing about that, God willing we all have time in a abundance. You can do nothing and look the same or worse in s couple of years, or start applying the advice given here and look dramaticly different in a couple of years.

Anything short of liposuction is going to take time. A good strength training program will give you some results in a couple months, how much so is unpredictable.

Agreed
    What is eat at maintenance? I am prepared to do the work. Eat healthy and whatever excersise it takes but I just don’t know how 😂 Last time I tried for a few months and it seems I don’t do things right. Eg. I didn’t give myself a break day or change the area to work on etc. I literally need someone who knows what they are doing to write me a menu and work out routine and I’ll do it 😂

If you are already easily maintaining your weight, just keep doing what you are doing and add progressive strength training. Maybe even add in a 250cal treat each day. An ice cream, handful of nuts, candy bar, whatever.

Eating at maintenance is eating to keep your weight as is.. not losing, not gaining (within 3- 5lbs up or down)

Again you can start there for a while but I strongly urge you to think about gaining weight to really improve your body composition.

You urge me to gain weight? I don’t understand though as I need to loose it? ... or that’s what I believe I need to do, around my stomach that is.

When you are your size, don't think about weight. You can totally gain weight and look smaller. I'm close to your stats. There's a progress photo under my profile showing how drastically your body composition can change at the same weight. And what a 10lb gain can look like.

How do I see your pictures? I clicked on your name but nothing shows 🤔 ... Thanks for your help 😊🤞
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

You're underweight. You don't need to lose it. You need to do a recomp routine so that you can keep your current weight (and gain to a healthy level), while keeping your measurements slim.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Agreed

Agreed

How do I see your pictures? I clicked on your name but nothing shows 🤔 ... Thanks for your help 😊🤞

You have to do it from the desktop version. The app doesn't allow it unfortunately.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just have loose abdominal muscles from your four pregnancies and an abdominal diastasis causing you to have a potbelly. That's got nothing to do with fat.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you so much 😊 and eating? Just healthy food and not worry about calories? ...

No, you still need to track calories. You want to maximize muscle gain and minimize fat gain. To give yourself the best chance of doing that, you need to do three things: (1) have a progressive resistance program (lifting heavier things or adding reps or sets or doing more challenging exercises to be sure you continue to challenge your muscles); (2) get enough protein; and (3) eat at a small surplus (I recommend 200 to 300 kcal above maintenance).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Fat? Or skin from having 4 babies?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

My thought, too.
  • christinaannelewis9655
    Options

My thought, too.

Fat? I have had 4 c sections so I have what’s called an apron too.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

My thought, too.

Fat? I have had 4 c sections so I have what’s called an apron too.

Maybe share a photo, if you're comfortable with that.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is the best way to remain the same weight while redistributing weight away from your abdomen. Check out the threads on recomposition.

Also, if your belly is very large compared to the rest of you, have a check up for any issues which may cause belly fat, such as insulin resistance, Cushing's, or PCOS.

♤♤♤
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Not exactly, you need to gain weight yes, or at least maintain it by building lean mass, i.e. muscle. You can do that while losing fat. You'll need to stop thinking of all "weight" as fat. It's not.
  • christinaannelewis9655
    Options
    Okay, so I need to build muscle 😊 and obviously my weight will go up as muscle weighs more than fat right? ... What’s the best way to target abs?
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Before you start targeting your abs, make sure you do not have diastasis recti, as a pp mentioned. Abdominal muscles always separate in the third trimester. Sometimes they can stay separated years after birth. If you have it, it’s wise to correct it before you start doing any typical abdominal exercises. I found some helpful videos on YouTube to help correct mine.