Abdominal fat! But I’m classed as underweight.

Options
I wonder if anyone can give me some real advice please. Basically I am 4ft 11 and weigh 6st 9. I believe my BMI is just underweight, almost in the safe zone. The problem I have is I am super skinny everywhere on my body apart from my stomach! I have had four children and eat and drink a lot of *kitten*! I want to tone my stomach but I need to do cardio to get rid of the fat around my stomach but at the same time I shouldn’t really be loosing weight 😬 As I’m already under. Can anyone advice me please.

Replies

• christinaannelewis9655
    Options
    It’s not very large, I’m just not happy with it, but I can grab about 2” if fat 😳 I would like to get rid of that and tone but in a way that won’t cause me to be underweight and ill.
  • christinaannelewis9655
    Options
    Will that help get rid of the abdominal fat? .... It sounds like it’s going to be months before I see results 😬
  • christinaannelewis9655
    Options
    What is eat at maintenance? I am prepared to do the work. Eat healthy and whatever excersise it takes but I just don’t know how 😂 Last time I tried for a few months and it seems I don’t do things right. Eg. I didn’t give myself a break day or change the area to work on etc. I literally need someone who knows what they are doing to write me a menu and work out routine and I’ll do it 😂
  • christinaannelewis9655
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice I will look into what everyone’s saying
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What is eat at maintenance? I am prepared to do the work. Eat healthy and whatever excersise it takes but I just don’t know how 😂 Last time I tried for a few months and it seems I don’t do things right. Eg. I didn’t give myself a break day or change the area to work on etc. I literally need someone who knows what they are doing to write me a menu and work out routine and I’ll do it 😂

Eating at maintenance is eating to keep your weight as is.. not losing, not gaining (within 3- 5lbs up or down)

Again you can start there for a while but I strongly urge you to think about gaining weight to really improve your body composition.
  • christinaannelewis9655
    Options
    Okay, thank you guys. You are all very helpful.
  • christinaannelewis9655
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Eating at maintenance is eating to keep your weight as is.. not losing, not gaining (within 3- 5lbs up or down)

Again you can start there for a while but I strongly urge you to think about gaining weight to really improve your body composition.

You urge me to gain weight? I don’t understand though as I need to loose it? ... or that’s what I believe I need to do, around my stomach that is.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

You urge me to gain weight? I don’t understand though as I need to loose it? ... or that’s what I believe I need to do, around my stomach that is.

You're working under a common misconception. What it seems like you are trying to do is change your shape. Nothing will do that better than lifting. In order to make that process work best, it's likely going to be better to gain weight at first. It's much easier to lose fat after you've gained muscle than it is to gain muscle after you've lost fat. Don't worry about "bulking up" or only trying to "tone".

1. If you want to lose weight - eat at a deficit. Meaning eat less calories than you burn. You have already said that you are borderline under weight. You should eat as much as you burn, maybe even a little more.
    2. If you want to be in better aerobic shape, do cardio - which I would not recommend unless you really like cardio, but that will stall your progress on #3.
    3. If you want to shape your body, lift heavy weights (start very slow).

Always eat enough to fuel what you do.
  • christinaannelewis9655
    Options
    That makes a lot more sense now. Sorry guys I’m a bit slow 🙈 ... Thank you. Lifting weights? Does that target the stomach?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It targets everything...provided you are doing compound movements....core included. Check out the links above from the other posters. There's another one about "which lifting program is right for you". I'll find the thread and link it in a minute.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you