Exercise gets easier

Options
I have been up and down in weight and when I became abit to big I knew I needed to do something about it. Today I exercise everyday going on a 7.5km walk daily and since yesterday I started bike riding for an hour and I love it. How many people enjoy exercise now? And how many people hate exercise? Maybe I can help encourage people who find it hard to exercise. I did learn one thing even a walk around the block of your house is better than nothing and just standing up for an hour burns 100 calories. Good luck and don't give up and always be proud of what you can do better and the exercise you do. Always be happy and try not to stress and think positive and drink water if you can tea coffee lemon water all those things are good for you. I have come along way but I'm still not at my goal weight but I'm not giving up. 7atep368wrd8.jpg

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Agreeing that exercise gets easier! I have knee issues, and had to start off slow, and always be careful, but I can build up slowly and steadily.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've worked my way up from 25-minute walks to 2-hour walks (generally about 10K) over the last 22 months. I've gone from 3-8lb weights to 5-25lb weights (the 5s are getting phased out next week; I've been phasing in a new exercise and using lighter weights till I was okay with form) over the last 14 months.

And while I can't say I truly love running at this point in my C25K training, I must say that it HAS gotten easier (I'm now running 12 minutes at a shot, anywhere from around 1.1K to 1.4K per interval) and I'm closing in on that 5K goal for August 30th. And I do love that bit at the end where I can stop running and cool down...
  • michaelandashley4infinity
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Agreeing that exercise gets easier! I have knee issues, and had to start off slow, and always be careful, but I can build up slowly and steadily.

I had knee issues to and my knee was popping out of place when I just slightly bumped it but once I lost some weight I haven't had any trouble with my knees thank god. Yeah its good to build up slowly and steadily and keep in mind the more you do the more you will start to enjoy your exercise. I started just walking down to the shops and back home and up a big hill. It use to take me stopping five times for a rest and now I can power walk up it. I started with walking 7 blocks and then home 7 blocks and now I can walk 7.5km without stopping. Keep going don't give up. And if you fall off the wagon keep starting again each and every day. Good on you for working towards more exercise
    Options
    I've worked my way up from 25-minute walks to 2-hour walks (generally about 10K) over the last 22 months. I've gone from 3-8lb weights to 5-25lb weights (the 5s are getting phased out next week; I've been phasing in a new exercise and using lighter weights till I was okay with form) over the last 14 months.

And while I can't say I truly love running at this point in my C25K training, I must say that it HAS gotten easier (I'm now running 12 minutes at a shot, anywhere from around 1.1K to 1.4K per interval) and I'm closing in on that 5K goal for August 30th. And I do love that bit at the end where I can stop running and cool down...

That's pretty good. Well done
    Options
    Just found out I'm not eating enough vegies and I have to start a 1200 calorie food and drink daily goal. I got told off my dietician I'm doing enough exercise just gotta work on eating less and healthier and only having junk food once a week. I can have 1/2 block of chocolate but only once a week. Done an hour bicycle riding yesterday and about 40-50 minutes of bike riding today. Probably do my 7.5km walk tomorrow and another bike ride. I've gotta keep up the exercise everyday.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    standing up burns 100 cals an hour? :huh:

its probably not far off when we burn 50 cals an hr by just being alive :smiley: (so out of that 100, 50 is just the usual burn)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @michaelandashley4infinity

Sorry to have to break this to you: exercise never gets easier, you're just getting better.

Congratulations!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Just found out I'm not eating enough vegies and I have to start a 1200 calorie food and drink daily goal. I got told off my dietician I'm doing enough exercise just gotta work on eating less and healthier and only having junk food once a week. I can have 1/2 block of chocolate but only once a week. Done an hour bicycle riding yesterday and about 40-50 minutes of bike riding today. Probably do my 7.5km walk tomorrow and another bike ride. I've gotta keep up the exercise everyday.

How tall are you and how many more pounds do you want to lose?

Is that 1200 calories net, meaning you eat back the calories you earn from exercise?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have been up and down in weight and when I became abit to big I knew I needed to do something about it. Today I exercise everyday going on a 7.5km walk daily and since yesterday I started bike riding for an hour and I love it. How many people enjoy exercise now? And how many people hate exercise? Maybe I can help encourage people who find it hard to exercise. I did learn one thing even a walk around the block of your house is better than nothing and just standing up for an hour burns 100 calories. Good luck and don't give up and always be proud of what you can do better and the exercise you do. Always be happy and try not to stress and think positive and drink water if you can tea coffee lemon water all those things are good for you. I have come along way but I'm still not at my goal weight but I'm not giving up.

:yum::smile: :grin:

Good choice. Have lots of fun with it.
    Options

Apparently well that is what I read on the internet but it could be wrong the internet can tell lies sometimes
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »

Sorry to have to break this to you: exercise never gets easier, you're just getting better.

Congratulations!

Thanks. Everyone has to start somewhere and I have come along way on my weight loss journey.
  • meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Routine gets easier... that’s all for me.
  • Amandachanges
    Amandachanges Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I’ve been struggling just to get started exercising. I’m doing a major cleaning out of my condo (4 kids, myself, a dog and three ferrets...in a 2 bedroom condo). So I think I’m getting some good exercise doing all this cleaning and hauling. It’s just...the idea of actually “starting” an exercise program...everything I do, I feel like I need to make it a habit...it seems overwhelming. I always have an excuse not to start “today”.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options

depends on how you define "burn" ..... sitting there doing nothing for an hour you chew through 70kcal .... standing up you get through 100kcal

now are you burning 100kcal standing ? .... or just 30kcal ?

which poses the question, when you go for a run and your garmin says you burn 300kcal ... is that 300kcal ontop of your normal expenditure ... or is it only 230cal extra, as you would have expended 70kcal just doing nothing

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »

Congratulations!

So true! Once going up an endless hill with my (more experienced) riding partner I was whining "When does it get easier?". She yelled back "It doesn't. You just get faster."

That's a famous Greg LeMond quote, and one of my favorites: "It never gets easier, you just go faster."
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »

depends on how you define "burn" ..... sitting there doing nothing for an hour you chew through 70kcal .... standing up you get through 100kcal

now are you burning 100kcal standing ? .... or just 30kcal ?

which poses the question, when you go for a run and your garmin says you burn 300kcal ... is that 300kcal ontop of your normal expenditure ... or is it only 230cal extra, as you would have expended 70kcal just doing nothing

or you use bodyweight x 0.63 x distance to calculate your running cals and that gives you the net burn :bigsmile: