By how much should I expect my weight to increase each week ?

Options
Hello everyone,

I have started a month ago, a 6 days per week intense cardio exercise program along with watching my calories intake per day where I try to have a 250 calories daily surplus in order to gain muscle.

I noticed that exercise does improve my appetite and makes me able to eat a bit more and I think this helped me to get my weight from 60.5 kg to 62.6 kg.

My question is: is this a good rate ?

best regards,

Replies

• george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Options
    Way too many variables in play to give a definative answer here. Just keep doing what you are and record your steps along the way. You can play with the calories and macros to get different results, but give each change enough time to effect.
  • restricteur
    restricteur Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Laces918 wrote: »
    Your trying to gain muscle and are doing intense cardio to accomplish that?

I have found out about this being a bad idea, but only about two weeks after I started the program :smile: . My plan now is to first finish this two months program, since this is the first time ever in my life that I stick to such a serious program with discipline. Once finished I plan on joining a gym to start weigh lifting three or 4 times per week.

But since you brought it, is it really impossible to a beginner like me to benefit from the so called newbie gains effect even with cardio and body weight only exercises ?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    muscle gain requires you to tear down and rebuild your muscle by lifting things. So ya cardio wont get you what you want your just spinning your wheels if what you want is to gain muscle. Body weight exercises can get you some newbie gains but the cardio is good for your health not your muscle building. Should start now finding your middle ground between cardio/learning to lift things. Even if you insist on body weight/Things around the house for that 2 months. But i think the calorie surplus is a bad idea until you get into a good lifting routine, You wont be putting on muscle
  • restricteur
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    But i think the calorie surplus is a bad idea until you get into a good lifting routine, You wont be putting on muscle

Why is that ? Do you think that cardio + 250 cal surplus will lead to gaining fat ?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    But i think the calorie surplus is a bad idea until you get into a good lifting routine, You wont be putting on muscle

Why is that ? Do you think that cardio + 250 cal surplus will lead to gaining fat ?

If your not lifting your not going to be putting on the muscle you want so yes what you put on will be mostly/all fat if eating in a surplus. Like i said to build muscle you need to be breaking the muscle down so your body can repair it and get bigger. If your body doesnt need to build muscle it wont. If your not challenging them they have no need to grow and they wont.
  • restricteur
    Options
    If your not lifting your not going to be putting on the muscle you want so yes what you put on will be mostly/all fat if eating in a surplus. Like i said to build muscle you need to be breaking the muscle down so your body can repair it and get bigger. If your body doesnt need to build muscle it wont. If your not challenging them they have no need to grow and they wont.
    Sounds so logical. But I would like to point out that during my workout:
    • I sweat a LOT
    • I drink about 600 ml of water (just during it)
    And after my workout:
    • I feel that all my body was challenged
    • I feel very exhausted
    • I feel very hungry
    • I feel very sleepy
    Does that count in building muscle?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Yes. Very little muscle, if any can be built with cardio alone.

None of those factors as you mentioned will cause muscle gain. You want to challenge and progressively overload your muscles over time, otherwise they won't have any reason to grow.
  • restricteur
    Options
    :'( Too bad !!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you don't have access to a gym you can start off with bodyweight training, see the link I posted above for some great programs
  • restricteur
    edited August 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you don't have access to a gym you can start off with bodyweight training, see the link I posted above for some great programs

It's not that I do not have access to a gym, it is just the fact that I look for one with certain conditions that may not all be there for every gym.

If I had my own house i would definitely have my own gym at home in the ground floor.
  • Laces918
    Laces918 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You may have some minimal muscle gain if you weren’t doing anything before but you could spend the same time and effort lifting weights and get 10 times more results.. that is if your goal is to build muscle. Are you over weight now?
  • restricteur
    Options
    You may have some minimal muscle gain if you weren’t doing anything before but you could spend the same time and effort lifting weights and get 10 times more results.. that is if your goal is to build muscle. Are you over weight now?

I am far from being overweight :) . I am what you may refer to as ectomorph or hard gainer.

My height is 175 cm
    My current weight is 62.6 kg
  • laurasurga
    laurasurga Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I am far from being overweight :) . I am what you may refer to as ectomorph or hard gainer.

My height is 175 cm
    My current weight is 62.6 kg

Stay well away from cardio then. Get picking heavy stuff up!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sounds so logical. But I would like to point out that during my workout:
    • I sweat a LOT
    • I drink about 600 ml of water (just during it)
    And after my workout:
    • I feel that all my body was challenged
    • I feel very exhausted
    • I feel very hungry
    • I feel very sleepy
    Does that count in building muscle?

No, none of that will build muscle. You get more fit but won't build muscle.
  • restricteur
    Options
    laurasurga wrote: »

Wow! I see there is a consensus. All bodybuilders seem to hate cardio :smiley:

Do pushups count as picking up heavy stuff ?
  • restricteur
    edited August 2018
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    No, none of that will build muscle. You get more fit but won't build muscle.

it seems that I am killing myself for nothing :(
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    laurasurga wrote: »

Wow! I see there is a consensus. All bodybuilders seem to hate cardio :smiley:

Do pushups count as picking up heavy stuff ?
    They count if you find bodyweight push ups tough, otherwise you might need to load some extra weight on you.
  • restricteur
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    They count if you find bodyweight push ups tough, otherwise you might need to load some extra weight on you.

I find them very tough. I barely can do 4 or 5 of them during the workout.