What caused your relapse? How did you get back on the horse?

Interested in hearing your experiences! Looking to prepare myself in case I mess up down the road and want to get back on track.

Replies

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Small improvements over time to permanently change your dieting and lifestyle habits. Plus getting a physical and bloodwork to see some problems I had really changed my mind and focus.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited August 2018
    My mistake was not continuing to track my calories into maintenance. It's far too easy to get complacent.

ETA I forgot to answer your other question. Umm I guess I just got tired of being fat, my blood pressure was creeping up, and I felt like *kitten*. Also, not getting any younger :lol:
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I'm with @kommodevaran 100%. You can't "fall off the wagon" if your success isn't dependent on having one in the first place. Build habits, make permanent sustainable changes, afford yourself the latitude to a treat or indulgence every now and then, because sometimes you just need a <insert food vice of choice here>.

Personally, I started down the path I described, making small changes, lower calorie swaps, etc. After I started to see some success I fell for the "if some is good, more is better" philosophy and went a little overboard trying to be too restrictive. At one point I did get pretty lean (159 lbs around the time I got married) but then I got a lazier and gained back up to 170 or so. I knew what it took to get back to that level but didn't necessarily like how I looked at that lower weight and decided to start lifting (easily one of the best decisions I've ever made). A few ill-advised bulk attempts, an overcompensating HRM, and a lower back injury later I've determined that my path to success is paved with meticulous logging and data collection. Philosophically, I'm now in more of a place of continuous physique improvement vs. the typical losing-to-maintenance mentality.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    What caused my relapse? One metric *kitten*-ton of stress, and trying to deal with that stress by eating my feelings.

What helped me get back on the horse? listening to some personal development/ self-coaching podcasts that helped me reframe the stress I was dealing with, got me back to exercising and meditating regularly, and allowing myself to "feeling my feelings" instead of eat them.
  • GeauxL
    GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
    I’ve had a recent “semi” relapse & it was caused by long term, over a year, restrictive dieting & finally just getting bored/tired of eating the same things & feeling bored & dreading working out. It started with me eating whatever I wanted/craved on a Friday, which basically meant I pigged out on all the stuff I had deprived myself of-lots of junk food. The Friday pig outs turned to Friday & Saturday. Then Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. Even had a couple of times where I gave in to the cravings during the week too. The way I got back on track was to post here & basically tell people what was happening & get their advice & hear their stories, along with just not liking the way I was feeling & knowing I didn’t wan to ruin what I had worked so hard at. So that motivated me to forgive & forget & move forward by changing from being super restrictive & classifying foods as good vs bad to introducing new foods into my diet including what were once considered “bad foods” & learning how to just incorporate them into my daily totals. It was a fresh start &, for right now, it’s working & ive lost the dread & boredom & im enjoying eating a wider variety of foods. I still kinda dread working out but I think that’s just me.
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    I lost 2 stones over 4 or 5 months then I just stopped losing, I think a lot of it was down to my alcohol intake and one too many treats on a weekend, I'd work hard Sunday/Monday and undo it all in just 2 days.

I decided I needed to kind of reset myself so I've taken the last 2 months off and haven't been going crazy but I have been indulging a little bit more than I should.

I decided it was time to dog out the scales on Monday and I've only gained 3lbs which is less than I was expecting, I've already lost 2 lbs so I'm hoping my little reset plan has worked.

And this time I'm going to cut down on the alcohol as well, no more than a few drinks on a Friday night for me now.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    Depression, stress, anxiety.
    Got back into it once I seen I was headed back way up and I said hell no.
  • WhatThePhok
    WhatThePhok Posts: 4 Member
    For me, my relapses have always been because of my mental illnesses. The first time I got myself into good shape was because I was just getting over battling an ED. But then I had a bad break mentally and gained back all the weight I had lost and then some. I tried yo-yo dieting which never works.

I'm just climbing back on now, five years and a baby later because I'm tired of looking at myself in the mirror and being unhappy. I guess getting back into it is just about finding your reason.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Surgery, more than one. About 10 years ago, I took a tumble down my basement stairs. Multiple pelvic surgeries, a knee surgery and a permanently dislocated sacral joint led to depression and weight gain. I picked myself up, got back in the gym and dropped 30 pounds. I was strong and felt great...then another set back. Two more pelvic surgeries and a frozen shoulder. So, here I am again.