A couple good podcast that have been helping me are,
    • Food Psych
    • The Love, Food Podcast
    • Nutrion Matters Podcast
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I agree with those who said four years is a long time to be on restricted calories, but you now know how much you need to eat for maintenance.

Take a break. Eat at maintenance for a few months and then come back to weight loss. The body doesn't like prolonged restriction and it will fight you for those calories when you get to a lean body.

I have 1000 calories over days at least once a week, and I've been in maintenance for many years. It simply doesn't affect my long-term success and I want those too-much ice cream days. I don't know, some people are able to completely quit on treats and some aren't.

I'm in the "aren't" camp. There will be treat days in my life forever. Some days that will mean I go WAY over...just this week so far since Monday - I'm on average OVER by 700 calories per day. If that results in a one pound gain this week I will be really surprised. And if that's what happens, I go back to not doing that as often. It always works out...but not if I spend time beating myself up over it. Then I've added emotional stress/stress hormones and all bets are off.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options

What works for you doesn't work for everyone though, and since everyone is different and reacts to things differently you should just speak your opinion and no need to bash others cause of theirs. Tough love works, just not for you and that's fine.

If you read my post you will see that I am juuuust on the other side of the exact same situation OP is finding herself in. I have very immediate personal experience and I have done countless hours of research the past two months desperately trying to find solutions to this exact problem. I am of the opinion that "tough love" as you call it does not and will not work in this situation.

This is obviously something I feel very strongly about and I am unfortunately unable to ignore or pass by advice that could be harmful.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »

What works for you doesn't work for everyone though, and since everyone is different and reacts to things differently you should just speak your opinion and no need to bash others cause of theirs. Tough love works, just not for you and that's fine.

If you read my post you will see that I am juuuust on the other side of the exact same situation OP is finding herself in. I have very immediate personal experience and I have done countless hours of research the past two months desperately trying to find solutions to this exact problem. I am of the opinion that "tough love" as you call it does not and will not work in this situation.

This is obviously something I feel very strongly about and I am unfortunately unable to ignore or pass by advice that could be harmful.

Personal experience is just that YOUR personal experience, online research doesn't make you an expert.

With your logic, I should be allergic to the same things that you are allergic to.....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure if I’m emotional eating but my food habits have become the worst! First of all, I’ve been working out and watching what I eat for almost 4 years now. But last 2 weeks I stopped working out and stopped cooking. Instead I just go to the vending machine and keep eating chocolates. Today was horrible. I ate 3000 calories of chocolates and chips. I feel sick. I know I don’t have to ramble here. But I really want to. I need some kind of words that will stop me from doing this . Has anyone been through such a phase? In my entire life, today was probably the most horrible day when it came to eating. I can’t believe I dumped so much junk food in less than 12 hours. I know this all sounds stupid but just wanted to be accountable so I could find some ways to do a reset. Help me!

Did you have a trigger event two weeks ago? I had a trigger event Nov 2016 and ate emotionally for a few weeks afterwards.

Normally I manage stress with exercise. I suggest you force yourself to start working out again. (I often have to force myself to start, but am always fine once I get going.)

How many pounds do you still need to lose before you reach your goal weight and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?

As we lose weight, we need to adjust our weekly weight loss goal down or we will be under-eating, which can definitely trigger a binge.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You haven't said what exercise you normally do, but I would encourage you to start back on that while exploring what else is going on. And do not try to start "back to normal" workouts. Just promise yourself you'll do 5 minutes, or whatever--b/c once you get going, you are likely to continue. And BE OK with just a few minutes if you find yourself giving up. Getting yourself to the point of exercise is a habit, and the 5 min will keep you in that habit until you can get back in a groove.

Be kind to yourself. Ask someone else to be extra kind to you, too, b/c you need it right now. I'd probably burst into tears when trying to explain to a friend, and the crying would be a release and might help me figure out what the heck I needed to do next. Good luck.