Protein, hard to reach daily goal

Options
Hi there,
I am having the hardest time getting enough protein each day. I always fall short of my goal when I am at or under calorie limit. I eat protein at every meal and for every snack. Any suggestions of how to get more without adding too many calories???

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?

You can google "high protein foods."

Are you logging everything? Just have larger portions of whatever protein you're already eating. For me, I pre-plan my food/meals so I know I'll get enough. It just takes practice.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake and that with all the other things I eat, I never have a problem getting plenty of protein. If you don't want to do that, just incorporate higher portions of the things that have protein. Eat more meat, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs..
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    First what is your protein goal and your weight?

Lower calorie protein sources will be lean meats, lean fish, seafood, low fat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, egg whites, tofu, edemame, protein powder. You can always up the portions of your protein sources at each meal and snack.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's even harder to give advice without any specifics.
    Are your targets set properly - what's your protein goal, and your calorie goal? What's your height and weight?
    Are you a vegan, or do you have any food allergies or aversions?
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Lower calorie protein sources will be lean meats, lean fish, seafood, low fat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, egg whites, tofu, edemame, protein powder. You can always up the portions of your protein sources at each meal and snack.
    Are your targets set properly - what's your protein goal, and your calorie goal? What's your height and weight?

I am 5'4'' and about 130lbs. I am 54 years old. I work out hard, doing weights, kickboxing...I am not a vegan. I have set my protein goal to 120. I am trying to lose fat while adding muscle/definition. I eat lots of chicken, eggs, brown rice, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc...I do have a protein shake after my workouts. I still cannot seem to reach my protein goal. I run out of calories....
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »

I am 5'4'' and about 130lbs. I am 54 years old. I work out hard, doing weights, kickboxing...I am not a vegan. I have set my protein goal to 120. I am trying to lose fat while adding muscle/definition. I eat lots of chicken, eggs, brown rice, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc...I do have a protein shake after my workouts. I still cannot seem to reach my protein goal. I run out of calories....

How many grams of fat are you eating every day? Lowering your fat consumption with create the most room for increased protein, although eating fewer carbs will help too. I eat a lot of lean meats, low fat greek yogurt, egg whites, etc. will all boost your protein count.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?

• kommodevaran
    Options

Why did you set your protein goal so high? And what is your calorie goal?
  • flippy1234
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

1200. It's what MFP calculated for me. I did change the protein, fat and carb amounts though for building muscle and leaning out though.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

You are already at a healthy weight, so make sure your weekly loss goal isn't too aggressive, you should really be looking for 0.5lbs per week. Also remember you need to log your exercise and eat back some of those calories as well. That should increase your calorie goal and make it easier to increase your protein servings.

When I was losing, I was getting around 100g on 1500 cals, but I had to design my day's meals around protein to get there. The only thing you're missing that I also added was tuna, shrimp, beans, and lentils.

And while there's nothing wrong with a goal of 120g, it's okay if you're a little short. The prevailing wisdom is @ 0.8g per lb of goal weight, give or take.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

What are your calorie targets? 120 grams is overkill IMO...where did you get that number? More than 1 gram per Lb of LBM, while not bad, really doesn't provide any additional benefits.

This link pretty much sums up my thoughts on protein needs...

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

1200. It's what MFP calculated for me. I did change the protein, fat and carb amounts though for building muscle and leaning out though.
    You got 1200 because you picked the most aggressive weightloss rate. You build muscle with sufficient protein and not a too large calorie deficit (or preferably a small surplus), you lose weight in a calorie deficit.
  • flippy1234
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

You are already at a healthy weight, so make sure your weekly loss goal isn't too aggressive, you should really be looking for 0.5lbs per week. Also remember you need to log your exercise and eat back some of those calories as well. That should increase your calorie goal and make it easier to increase your protein servings.

When I was losing, I was getting around 100g on 1500 cals, but I had to design my day's meals around protein to get there. The only thing you're missing that I also added was tuna, shrimp, beans, and lentils.

And while there's nothing wrong with a goal of 120g, it's okay if you're a little short. The prevailing wisdom is @ 0.8g per lb of goal weight, give or take.

I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight. I am trying to lose some of the flab and replace it with lean muscle. For what I am doing, I have read 1 to 1.5 grams of protein for every pound. Which mean I should actually be eating more but I am sticking to the 120. I can't even reach that.

I like what you said about the exercise calories. I usually do not eat them back.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight. I am trying to lose some of the flab and replace it with lean muscle. For what I am doing, I have read 1 to 1.5 grams of protein for every pound. Which mean I should actually be eating more but I am sticking to the 120. I can't even reach that.

I like what you said about the exercise calories. I usually do not eat them back.

The less you have to lose, the slower it can come off.

Don't read too extensively on bodybuilder sites if you're not a bodybuilder. MFP's default is fine for ordinary people.

Muscles are lean (just a pet peeve of mine).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

1200 calories per day is an aggressive weight loss target, particularly as you are at a healthy weight...it also doesn't account for exercise...if you're exercising you should be eating more. You aren't going to build muscle eating 1200 calories per day. 1200 calories per day basically provides for minimum nutrition needs for women who are needing to lose weight and are sedentary...it would be difficult to max out protein or any other nutrient when your calorie target is really only providing for minimum needs to not be sick AF.

Essentially, you're training with little weight to lose, but you're eating like a small, sedentary older woman who needs to lose a hefty amount of weight. What you're trying to accomplish isn't going to happen on the diet of a small bird.

1-1.5 grams is pretty much bodybuilding bruh science IMO...over 1 gram per Lb of LBM and you're just making expensive glucose.

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this thread-
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

It may be worth spending 6 month doing a recomp, eating at maintenance, plus exercise calories, and seeing where that takes you.
    If you still feel like you would like to lose a few lbs at the end of the 6 month, continue lifting with a small 250 cal deficit.

Drop your protein to between 0.8- 1 lbs of your LBM, and don't worry if you occasionally come up short.

Cheers, h.
  • Cascadae
    Cascadae Posts: 34 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I used to struggle with proteins, but there are many protein options u can find that cheaper and available rich in protein for example chicken livers instead of consuming multiple protein shakes a day.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat that much protein - probably only really need about 90 grams. You can reset the percentage of protein/fat/carbs to whatever you want.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1