Protein, hard to reach daily goal

2»

Replies

• moniemom
    moniemom Posts: 6 Member
    Protein shakes. I personally would not be hitting my protein goals without having one of those each day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    edited August 2018
    I agree (speaking as a 62 y/o, 5'5",130-some pound active woman) that 1200 calories seems over-aggressive, as does your protein goal (the latter by a little), but that's your call. I'd definitely encourage you to eat back (fuel) your exercise.

This could help with protein (it helped me hit 100g daily as a vegetarian, and it's not even tailored to vegetarians): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

With your goals, this might be of interest, too:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
    (Some people do a similar thing while running a slight deficit.)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Gosh, I do wish they would bring awesome back.
    That was an awesome @AnnPT77, though I am not adverse to hugging you :)

Cheers, h.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    1 pound of grilled skinless chicken breast has 147g of protein and 752 calories. 1 pound of tuna has 107g of protien and 491 cals. Do a little math and figure out calories per gram for each protein you like. If you prefer non-meat, shop around for low cal protein powder and mix into your diet. Most of the latter are in the range of 100-150 cals per 25 g of protein.
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    edited August 2018
    Protein can sometimes be a challenge for me - I'm really petite so I'm at 1100 calories to lose weight – then up to 1400-1600 for maintenance. When at maintenance I don't usually have a problem, but when I'm at eating to lose I have to have protein shakes or I simply will not get the grams I need from food without exceeding my calorie limit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    1 pound of grilled skinless chicken breast has 147g of protein and 752 calories. 1 pound of tuna has 107g of protien and 491 cals. Do a little math and figure out calories per gram for each protein you like. If you prefer non-meat, shop around for low cal protein powder and mix into your diet. Most of the latter are in the range of 100-150 cals per 25 g of protein.

The spreadsheet attached to the thread I linked above (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also) pretty much does that math for a huge number of foods, and lists them in rank order from most protein-efficient to less protein-efficient for the calories. It's a gem.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    As per the others, you should up your calories (maintenance ideally), lower your protein goal and lift some weight.

I'm 5,4 and I aim for 70grams a day of protein but I regularly hit 90 without even trying. I don't like protein shakes so I get mine solely from food. I eat eggs for breakfast, tuna for lunch and chicken or steak for dinner.

I'm working to 1gram per 1kg of weight, and I'm eating over that at the moment.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I was at 145g a day, just dropped down to 130g

Go-to: Greek yogurt (depending on goal fat for day - Noosa, dsnnon triple oikos or chobani smooth); boathouse farms protein plus shakes (they have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and mango); lean meats (chicken, turkey, pork - 4oz raw will net you between 20-25g); shrimp (4oz raw is 23g but high sodium); salmon on higher fat days; various cuts of steak (most 4oz will get you between 18-24g)

Incidental protein - barley, Farro, pasta - approximately 7-20g per serving
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Yeah, but that's not the problem. The problem, depending on how you see it, is unrealistic protein and calorie goals, both per se and in proportion of each other, or that the OP isn't a machine that you just have to shove material into, but a human with mouth and tongue and tastebuds.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    I had the identical problem. Well. That. And I was overweight. But protein was hard for me. Make sure your calorie limit is truly correct. Sometimes we underestimate our caloric needs...

I use a nutrient-dense superfood protein shake. They are not all created equal. Stay away from soy/soy isolate protein. Look for undenatured whey—it’s the highest quality of protein out there.

I stopped dieting. All I did was ADD nutrient dense food and protein to my life. And. Voilà. (Oh and since April 14, I exercise 3 times per week for 50 minutes). 😊💪🏼🌟

Me February 12, 2018....the day I started ADDING nutrient dense food and protein to my day. And August 12, 2018—6 months of adding nutrient dense food and protein to my life.

8tq6qe8ojrnq.jpeg
    lu9paa78xywc.jpeg

WOW, you look amazing! All you did was add and not take away?
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    OK, I have adjusted my protein goal a bit lower. I am not sure about my calorie goal. MFP still wants to have me at 1200 based on what I input on my goals. Again, I am trying to be lean and strong, build some muscle and lose fat.