LiftHeavyThings27105 - starting Lyle McDonnald's Rapid Fat Loss diet (2018 AUG 01)

2»

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I like to think of RFL or PSMF as the "cat food diet"....lots of dry fish & chicken...lol.
    Try to keep your sanity about you (tough as hell)

I clearly ain't got no sense! LOL!

I am a very easy-to-get-along with type of person and while I might get ticked off at things and get a bit emotional I recover from that quickly. And, it takes a lot to get under my skin....so, this will be okay.

I am super blessed in that - for me - eating the same thing, all day long, every day of the week.....drumroll, please.....and twice on Sunday is not something that bothers me. Generally. Although, all this freaking tuna is gonna be an experiment....not gonna lie on that one.

I just can't wait for this experiment to be over and to see the results. See if this old fart can still bring it! 12% body fat is pretty much what I had in 2012 (how convenient....12 was my number in sports, too...I am sensing a pattern here). But, I am going to enjoy every detail in this process and let's see what I find out about myself.

And, funny thing - I am a HUGE dog person. Not so much cats. We will see....
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited August 2018
    So, Day 3 of this....

Starting weigh-in was 211.6 (artificially high due to the huge amount of carbs I had the night before....I was 206.0 that morning). Today's weigh-in: 208.2 lbs.

Going to focus mostly on the training sessions for this program. So, moving forward I will add a quick update (weigh-in) but will more discuss the training sessions.

So far, I have had only one. Today will be the second. Under this program you are to work out two or three times. I am going for three. I really think that this is far too little....but, I am going to follow the plan. Full body workouts are the suggestion, so full body workouts will be what I do. Decided change from my usual....not a bad thing to get out of your comfort zone every once in awhile and do something vastly different.

That first training session was in the early AM and was fasted. I am thinking, based on that training session and how I *think* that things will go with this, that it might be far more prudent to do my training during my lunch hour. Mr. McDonald suggests keeping it to 45 minutes. I can do that (as my second gym is 5 minutes down the road). So, more details on that when it happens!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Thanks for sharing your experience with this diet. I've got 20 stubborn pounds to lose. I may try this in the future.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Thanks for sharing your experience with this diet. I've got 20 stubborn pounds to lose. I may try this in the future.

It is a small amount of money for a ton of information. I follow Keto normally due to high A1C but am a huge fan of experimenting and seeing what the theory is and how that works for me. So, doing RFL. The training seesions, as mentioned, seem sparse....but I am not even one week into it. Let's see how I feel about that when I am deeper into this!!!!!

I would encourage you to investigate and to make a decision that fits your needs amd goals. My opinion is that Lyle McDonald is the man when it comes to nutrition. There are a few others (like Eric Helms) but I trust him. If he says eat Tuna for two weeks then I learn to love Tuna!!!

More to follow. Wednesday is my "new week" day so all things being equal there will be physique updates. Fair warning to everyone!!!! LOL! Now that I have done it once I have no hesitation or fear!!!!

Enjoy!!!!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Physique update pics tomorrow morning.....forewarned, as I like to say, is forearmed!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    For those of you who are not my "MFP Friend" I will provide a little bit of the journey....

Weight has been all over the place. I am - on Day #7 - 206.2lbs. I am not going to discuss the diet part, but will discuss the training sessions here. So far - keep in mind that this is the first week - no issues. No real perception of decreased performance in the gym. Mr. McDonald suggests two or three full-body training sessions (and little to know cardio....there are three "activity levels" here: inactive, cardio and weight lifting. I am 'weight lifting').

It is something different for me to do full body training sessions but all good. I am all about doing new things and seeing how that works. I also really struggle being in the gym ONLY three times a week. I am used to five or six. Again, this is the first week....I am fairly confident that I will come to really like this suggestion soon!

My body weight during this first week has been:

Day #1: 211.6lbs
    Day #2: 209.6lbs
    Day #3: 208.2lbs
    Day #4: 206.0lbs
    Day #5: 208.0lbs
    Day #6: 209.0lbs
    Day #7: 206.2lbs

Day #5 increase was likely from the five-hour refeed Saturday night. Day #6 likely was a continuation of that. I follow Keto normally so such a high carb day does that to me. I also have been eating a ton of sodium (in that I have been eating A LOT of tuna).

Again, training is - outside of the full-body sessions - not been a problem.

I *think* that I am going to change my initial plan. I *thought* one thing....now that I am one week into it I believe that I will modify that a bit. training sessions will remain the same (with the one difference being moving back one day....from M - W - F to Tu - Thur - Sat).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I just finished my second 2 week block of this - I had a week off in between (still tracked, maintenance cals, more carbs and fat). I'm having another week off this week. I train more during maintenance weeks, but I'm limited to 30 minute sessions so just have to get to the gym more often!

Since I started I've gone from 73.5kg - 66.2kgs.
    My husband does my skin folds (9 sites) and they've gone from 134mm total to 93mm total. I realise they aren't overly accurate, but they have definitely gone in the right direction.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Are you doing any extra walking as your only other "workouts", as he mentions this isn't a problem?

It's such a high fat-burn activity if not going crazy with hills and such, it merely increases the TDEE and deficit amount.

I did not do as much as I could have - took the extra time and got some things done I'd let slide badly. Though I did try to get in a couple 30 min walks weekly.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    heybales wrote: »
    Are you doing any extra walking as your only other "workouts", as he mentions this isn't a problem?

It's such a high fat-burn activity if not going crazy with hills and such, it merely increases the TDEE and deficit amount.

I did not do as much as I could have - took the extra time and got some things done I'd let slide badly. Though I did try to get in a couple 30 min walks weekly.

No. I don't do much walking at all generally and I didn't go out of my way to do any extra cardio. My Dr limited my exercise anyway and doesn't recommend I do much cardio at the moment, so I figured I'm in the perfect position to follow a program that limits exercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Following.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    @LiftHeavyThings27105.... How are you going?