What are your exercise plans for the fall?

Options
My neck of the woods turns into paradise for the summer. The lakes warm for swimming, the high country melts out, it's wonderful. This is when it's easy to exercise, nature provides more motivation than anyone needs. But I woke up this morning to cold tile on the floor, summer is winding down.

I'm looking forward to fall color hikes and bike rides. Especially when the larches turn gold, there's a picture below. This will probably sound a little weird, but I'm looking forward to digging out my warm clothes, too.

What are you looking forward to this fall, in terms of exercise?

37418084934_2798eaac2a_o_d.jpg

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I am very much looking forward to cooler weather. I don't do well in heat and humidity. End of October I'll start training for a March marathon. I have a 10k in November I'm looking forward to. I'm hoping DH will be in shape to do some hiking as well when it cools off.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Hiking. Fall is the best time in Florida. imho
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I’m looking forward to being able to time my runs for what is convenient for my schedule instead of around the lowest risk of heat stroke. And this summer has been excessively hot and humid (for where I live) and it’s been unpleasant to be outside - so unpleasant that it far overpowers the joy I get from being out and doing things . I’m looking forward to doing things: namely biking and hiking. The fall colors around here are glorious, so I can’t wait.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Increasing my endurance on my trail runs, mainly, and not having to get up at 5.30 to beat the sun to do so.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Oh that is such a beautiful photo!!! I am looking forward to fall so much!!! Right now summer is still in full swing here in FL... we won't hit the 70's during the day until probably late October/early November , and then the rain slows down a bit too... right now the woods are completely flooded, water moccasins to boot so I've been avoiding it until fall. I can't wait to get back out there hiking with my pup!!!!
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Hiking. Fall is the best time in Florida. imho

YES!!! :)
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have the same mindset as all above, I just discovered running outdoors at my local national park. Turning 5k into a 10k I also look forward to warm clothes and fluffy socks. Also when it gets really cold you will find me in the gym.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Cycling, rowing (probably), running, swimming.

My current plan is:
    Cycling 3-4 days a week. I'll probably start TrainerRoad's Sweet Spot Base 1 (low volume) once I finish the Zwift Academy rides. I'm going to try to tack on a long ride outside on Sunday as well. Logistically riding outside on weekdays isn't really an option, sadly.
    Rowing: The second set of learn to row classes start in September and are three days a week.
    Running: 2x a week in the morning on two of the days that I plan on riding my bike. That's what I'm doing right now (except I'm at 3 days a week) and it's working well.
    Swimming: 1-2 days a week on the days I row.

I need to have one day a week off which means I will likely end up biking three days a week instead of four, but we'll see what happens scheduling wise.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Cooler weather=running. I don't run in the summer, but I do walk and swim. More lifting weights...missed the gym a lot this summer.
  • Severen725
    Severen725 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cooler weather and lower humidity.

I plan on doing a Turbo Fire/Body Beast rotation and will be more manageable without the roasting temperatures.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I live in a concrete jungle. So the confines of a gym is the limits of my exercise.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    A lot of walking, maybe getting up to 30lb dumbbells, possibly doing 20lb biceps curls (I'm at 17.5 now). And mayyyyyyyyyyyybe taking up running 2-3 days a week. I'm due to run a 5K on August 30th and I'd like to stay in practice.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My neck of the woods turns into paradise for the summer. The lakes warm for swimming, the high country melts out, it's wonderful. This is when it's easy to exercise, nature provides more motivation than anyone needs. But I woke up this morning to cold tile on the floor, summer is winding down.

I'm looking forward to fall color hikes and bike rides. Especially when the larches turn gold, there's a picture below. This will probably sound a little weird, but I'm looking forward to digging out my warm clothes, too.

What are you looking forward to this fall, in terms of exercise?

37418084934_2798eaac2a_o_d.jpg

Love that picture! And of course, that locale!

After Labor Day, the beach club closes, so my "commute-and-swim" phase for the summer will end. It's been great, but as far as cycling fitness, I note that I've plateaued a bit with these regular 8mi R/T rides over fairly flat terrain (with occasional longer destination rides or added loops). I have continued with a 3-4d/wk in-house resistance band and bodyweight regimen in which I've also plateaued, that now serves mostly for warmup/keeping loose.

It will be back to the gym 2+ days/wk for focused recumbent cycle training, and I believe I will add in a class of either core or general workouts, TBD (not spin, as I do have some older-guy ailments that moderate my exertions). And I'll return to a schedule of varied longer rides, with more destinations involved (wider range of NJ/PA trails, and at least one scheduled trip each for family things to MD and Ottawa to which I tote my bike). We need to scope out the facility yet, but there is a public day-pass indoor pool about 20-25 min drive from here we could also use maybe 1/wk. The goal is 4d/wk of 1-2hr/day exercise. And a bit of touring around via the bike, LOL. This will take me up to New Year's, when a new plan should be put into place related to progress and seasonality.

When I started this fitness journey in January it was a combination of gym (recumbent cycling), in-house resistance band and bodyweight exercises and a progressively more demanding series of outdoor rides on the new bike. Since Memorial Day I've been doing the swim thing, no gym.

We also sail, but I don't class that activity as "exercise," really. We usually pull the boat around/after Halloween.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    fall marathon - Marine Corps at the end of October and then i'll likely roll into base building for my Ironman next year (august) - i have a few events along the way - and my friend is trying to convince me to do the Dopey challenge (5k, 10k, half marathon, marathon over 4 days) - but i'm ambivalent
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I’ll begin training for the San Antonio 1/2 marathon soon that’s in December. I’ll transition from riding mostly my road bike to riding my mountain bike more - I can ride rural caliche roads with little/no traffic when there is less daylight.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    More bike rides/hikes/anything outside.
    Once it cools down i spend a lot more time outside. Summer is not for me.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    It probably won't change much from now - treadmill. But when it gets really cooler, I hope to do some outside walking. I live in a hilly area that you just can't replicate on the treadmill. But nothing like your beautiful outdoors.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    My primary exercises are walking/hiking, paddling and swimming. I also do some kettlebell and pull ups. Paddling is my "big burn" exercise. I have been paddling 10 miles or so a couple of times a week. I need to get a wet suit. There are a couple of places I feel safe kayaking in cooler weather, staying near shore with a change of clothes in a dry bag. I have never accidentally flipped my flat water kayak. I would only paddle my SUP in a wet suit paddling in a group. I will probably get a Planet Fitness $1 to join, $10 a month for a single club without some of the frills the first time they run the special after it cools off. They tend to run that fairly often and they have locations near my office and house; I would just have to decide which one made the most sense.