Will eating those extra "exercise calories" sabotage weight loss?

Options
I'm 5'2" and around 142lbs. I've found that MFP gives me a lot of calories back for exercise even if it's not super strenuous. If I eat those added calories, will it slow down weight loss? Do I need to fill those calories with protein to avoid hindering my progress?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your calorie burn estimates are accurate, no. If they're over-estimates, then it will slow down or even prevent weight loss (depending on how much of an over-estimate they are).

This is why some people start with eating back just a portion and then adjust based on their real life results.

Whatever you decide to do, they don't have to be only or mostly protein. They *can* be, if that is what you want, but fat or carbohydrates are fine too.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Partly it depends on the exercise. I find the running and walking calorie burn fairly accurate, or even a bit under what I actually burn. I eat back all those calories and was able to lose weight steadily and then maintain that loss for over a year. Other people who do other kinds of exercise eat back only 50% of their exercise calories. Try it and see how it works for you. If you are losing weight faster than expected, eat more. If you are losing weight more slowly, than you should, then eat less.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft tall CW: 166 GW: 125 and I have a fitbit sync to myfitnesspal so it gives me anywhere from 300+ calories a day extra I eat 1250-1350 calories a day. 9 times out of 10 I don't eat back any extra calories now on that 1 day that I do eat the calories back it's because we decided to go out to lunch or dinner. also if I have what I call a hunger headache I will get a little snack bag of my kids cookies and a little Gatorade so that is usually my extra calories. with being so short I feel like I have to be so strick on calorie intake.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I find that *not* eating back some portion is more likely to sabotage me, b/c I get too hungry. As someone said, it's best to eat back about 50% and see if you lose as expected. If you lose more (over a month-6 weeks), then you can probably eat back a higher % of the exercise calories. If you lose less, then you should eat back fewer than 50%.
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    kksmom1789 wrote: »
    I am 5ft tall CW: 166 GW: 125 and I have a fitbit sync to myfitnesspal so it gives me anywhere from 300+ calories a day extra I eat 1250-1350 calories a day. 9 times out of 10 I don't eat back any extra calories now on that 1 day that I do eat the calories back it's because we decided to go out to lunch or dinner. also if I have what I call a hunger headache I will get a little snack bag of my kids cookies and a little Gatorade so that is usually my extra calories. with being so short I feel like I have to be so strick on calorie intake.

I agree, it has always seemed harder for me to make any meaningful changes to my weight or how I look because I'm so short it just compacts every pound into such a small area. I have been mostly just eating back part of the calories as needed.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Storm985 wrote: »
    I am 5'4 and around 135, which is my goal weight. To lose weight, I can't eat more than say 1300-1400 a day WITH lots of exercise. (Like an hour of running or spin 5-6 days a week.) If I eat the calories that MFP says I burn, I maintain or gain, so even in maintenance, I'm around 1400-1500 a day average. My theory is that over the years, I've become very accustomed to exercise and that while working out keeps me tone (and sane), it probably has nothing to do with my weight. So anyway, I'd take that exercise burn with a huge grain of salt, especially as you are small to begin with.

Oddly enough, if I get in a lot of NON-exercise activity, I do lose weight, even if I eat more and even if I am not even trying. Like going to Disney World and walking all day, or doing a ton of errands (walking around in stores/malls.) It could also be how sedentary people are that determines whether there is a true exercise burn.

Could this be to do with the heart rate?

I’ve noticed on my Fitbit that the 'fat burn' range falls into the slightly raised heart rate (ie walking, but not marching etc)

Then a higher heart rate goes to cardio (which is what exercise would fall under)
    Then peak hart rate (exercise again)

My heart rate's a lot lower when it's non-exercise activity so not sure! It can be between 140-180 when running and otherwise the highest it is while say walking is 100. Weird!
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    kksmom1789 wrote: »

Being petite doesn’t doom you to a low calorie threshold in order to lose or maintain weight and that’s exactly what your FitBit is trying to tell you. It’s telling you that you burn more calories than your stats that you entered into MFP suggests, likely because you chose Sedentary as an activity level when you probably are not - how many steps/day do you typically average?

For what it’s worth, I’m 5’2 and lost my weight (~35 lbs) eating back all my exercise calories Both from when I was logging them here and after I got my FitBit. I lost the weight eating b/w 1600-1900 cals and am now maintaining at around 118 lbs with a TDEE of 2100-2200.

By not ever eating back your calories you risk fatigue and an unsustainable calorie deficit that could cause you to give up before reaching goal.

@WinoGelato I did put myself as Sedentary for both MFP and Fitbit because for the most part I am I don't go to the gym or have an exercise routine at home I just try to get as many steps as possible my step goal is 6k I have been trying the last few weeks to increase my step goal to 8k Fitbit has my average steps as 9k so I guess I am doing something right lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1