Where are the Nerds??

Options

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Humble Brag from Yesterday's workout

Still need to drop 2" from my waistline to match Chris Evans, but got the Arm Pump down. B)
    60hl5ii6cm8k.jpg
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    theresa120 wrote: »

I love Stephen King of course, The Shining will always remain on of my favourites. Currently in the middle of “Sleeping Beauties” which King co-wrote with one of his sons. I enjoy Sarah Waters and Joe Hill as well. Love anything weird, paranormal and/or bloody. That goes for horror movies too. Got any suggestions?

I love horror, and what's weird is that I haven't read any Stephen King. I've tried, and haven't been able to get into him--though I did have a dream once where I met him and he was super cool then he asked me which of his books was my favorite and I was totally stalled. It was embarrassing. Then I woke up.

Joe Lansdale hooked me with a short story in a Batman anthology that I read when I was younger. If you like supernatural, look up any of the stories of his featuring the God of the Razor. His writing style is pretty brutal, but I understand that King doesn't sleep on a mattress made of money because of his cuddly books so I'm sure you'll be OK with them :)

Otherwise, standout stories I've read mildly-recently woulda been The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker (I'll second what Renku said, above) but also Burn, Witch, Burn! by Abraham Merritt (sometimes just credited as A. Merritt). That one was written in the late 1920's or early 1930's I *believe*, so the writing style might take some getting used to if you're not used to reading stuff from that era. I really, thoroughly enjoyed it though.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Did some color accuracy and detail work on my Cap suit over the weekend, pictures take a while to load. Next convention is 9/14. y5aywu5tfkko.jpeg

This is Awesome! I can see a definite contour difference to your torso as well where your workouts are paying off! Nice going!

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    I am there with ya, I love gaming and work as an engineer so people already think I am weird!
  • terrordawg
    terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member
    Options
    renku wrote: »
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    Lol I’m more of a closet case. I keep my nerdiness on the dl. Shhh.... I love tabletop, pinball and retro games mostly, am an avid reader, particularly the horror genre. Supergirl is my weight loss/fitness inspiration annnnd I play Pokémon GO ev-er-y-day! 😀

Avid reader of horror, you say? Have any favorite authors or stories??

I love Stephen King of course, The Shining will always remain on of my favourites. Currently in the middle of “Sleeping Beauties” which King co-wrote with one of his sons. I enjoy Sarah Waters and Joe Hill as well. Love anything weird, paranormal and/or bloody. That goes for horror movies too. Got any suggestions?

I've read a little Clive Barker, he's not bad. Neil Gaimen is good for more supernatural stories

Ooh Clive Barker! He wrote a great one called Mister B. Gone
  • terrordawg
    edited August 2018
    Options

I love horror, and what's weird is that I haven't read any Stephen King. I've tried, and haven't been able to get into him--though I did have a dream once where I met him and he was super cool then he asked me which of his books was my favorite and I was totally stalled. It was embarrassing. Then I woke up.

Joe Lansdale hooked me with a short story in a Batman anthology that I read when I was younger. If you like supernatural, look up any of the stories of his featuring the God of the Razor. His writing style is pretty brutal, but I understand that King doesn't sleep on a mattress made of money because of his cuddly books so I'm sure you'll be OK with them :)

Otherwise, standout stories I've read mildly-recently woulda been The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker (I'll second what Renku said, above) but also Burn, Witch, Burn! by Abraham Merritt (sometimes just credited as A. Merritt). That one was written in the late 1920's or early 1930's I *believe*, so the writing style might take some getting used to if you're not used to reading stuff from that era. I really, thoroughly enjoyed it though.

Excellent! I’ll add those to my ever growing list of books to read 🤓

As for Stephen King, I had the same feelings about his writing in the beginning - I found some of the dialogue a little corny, silly and over the top at times.... but I encourage you to give him a second chance. I find the silly stuff endearing now, and a stark contrast to the scarier and more gruesome bits in his stories.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Fellow Harry Potter nerds:

If you're looking for a motivating fitness challenge centered around Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the term 21 application is now open to the public. Please know that you can join in regardless of your goal (lose, gain, maintain) and it's a ton of fun! We'd be most pleased to see you there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689615/hogwarts-weight-loss-challenge-term-21-8-week-challenge-challenge-starts-august-31st#latest
  • terrordawg
    Options
    Fellow Harry Potter nerds:

If you're looking for a motivating fitness challenge centered around Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the term 21 application is now open to the public. Please know that you can join in regardless of your goal (lose, gain, maintain) and it's a ton of fun! We'd be most pleased to see you there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689615/hogwarts-weight-loss-challenge-term-21-8-week-challenge-challenge-starts-august-31st#latest

Um, yes please! I just sent my application. Sounds fun! *crosses fingers* “Anything but Slytherin, anything but Slytherin...”
  • yumesoraki
    yumesoraki Posts: 4,859 Member
    Options
    Slytherin is the best house though ^.^
  • Maggie_4411
    Maggie_4411 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    :D Love this thread!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Lol I’m more of a closet case. I keep my nerdiness on the dl. Shhh.... I love tabletop, pinball and retro games mostly, am an avid reader, particularly the horror genre. Supergirl is my weight loss/fitness inspiration annnnd I play Pokémon GO ev-er-y-day! 😀

Brian Lumley's Necroscope series is really good. Been about 20 years since I read these, but loved that series.

Clive Barker is another good one who carries on in the style of Lovecraft.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    yumesoraki wrote: »
    Slytherin is the best house though ^.^

I happen to agree! I am a prefect for said house this term and... you and I are old friends. We were in Slytherin together in the first term :p
  • sdanemrtn
    sdanemrtn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello heloo nerds. im a Lord of the Rings nerd, but I love all nerds. appreciation for everyones nerdy choices hehe

Welcome to our happy, nerdy little corner!
  • sdanemrtn
    sdanemrtn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    :D Love this thread!

Welcome Maggie!
  • terrordawg
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Brian Lumley's Necroscope series is really good. Been about 20 years since I read these, but loved that series.

Clive Barker is another good one who carries on in the style of Lovecraft.

Cool, I’ll have to check it out! Thanks! 😊
  • terrordawg
    Options
    Anyone have any favourite movies/shows you’ve been watching on Netflix?
  • _JustKev_
    _JustKev_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah... Lost in Space, Stranger Things, and The Expanse on DVR. I also watched the first episode of Disenchantment which was pretty good.
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any favourite movies/shows you’ve been watching on Netflix?

I'm so behind on my PVR, still catching up on all of the spring DC shows. On Netflix I'm watching GLOW, Jessica Jones, Dark Matter, just finished Enterprise and moving on to TOS. Lost in Space and Season 2 of Stranger Things are on my list. Looking forward to Discovery coming back in the fall.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Been working my way through the Marvel shows, but my wife picked up a 9-disc set of Puppetmaster movies so we're also getting through those. It's a lot of puppets.