Does calorie counting work ?

Hi I’m new to this and was wondering if calorie counting actually works I’m so trapped in the mind frame of following slimming world

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Definitely. But you need to log your food and be as accurate as you can. And as @jillstreett said, you have to be honest with yourself.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    For pure weight loss, absolutely. Over time, you start to notice that certain foods give you more 'bang for your buck' in terms of satiety, while others make you feel hungrier faster. So your eating habits might change. I notice that when it comes to snacking, I look for something higher-protein like roasted chickpeas or a piece of string cheese over stuff like Veggie Straws or Popcorners Chips, which are primarily carbs and salt. (Note: I love carbs. I usually eat at least 50% carbs daily. BUT I find that they're at their most satiating for me when there's protein involved. You might find that a different macro split works better for you.)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Yep...it works. Keep it as a part of your day...like brushing your teeth....taking a shower...logging on this site. Plus....its FREE!
    Logging on your diary gives you access to tons of food entries and restaurant foods to pull from.
    It is something I do everyday to stay accountable!
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Like everyone has said, counting calories works. It seems obsessive and overwhelming at first. But I've been doing it for so long now I can just about look at something and kind of just now how many calories things are give or take. I draw the line at weighing my food. It helps and would probably help me lose weight faster. But I average about 2lbs a week loss already so I am fine with my measuring cups lol.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    It totally works. Anyone who wants to sell you something is trying to keep you as a customer, not necessarily help you be successful.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I can't imagine why anyone would think it wouldn't, provided you do it correctly.
  • Aine_60
    Aine_60 Posts: 38 Member
    Absolutely it works. It's fool proof.
    You must be accurate though, so actually weigh your food, sounds like a hassle, but it'll become second nature very soon. It'll also soon help you realise what is actually a normal portion size and it might help you make wiser choices.
  • amyjoan1
    amyjoan1 Posts: 47 Member
    Counting calories for me is really just being accountable and responsible and can help me plan out better my meals, snacks.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    A calorie deficit (consuming less calories than you expend) is what works. Counting calories, if done correctly, is a reliable/helpful method of achieving that.
  • melissamacneil1970
    melissamacneil1970 Posts: 59 Member
    yes, most def especially when combining with exercise I lost 13lbs in 1 month :)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    As far as I know it is the ONLY thing that works, not fad diets, not detoxes, not even overexercising. CICO is the way to go
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Yes.

There are many different diets and approaches to losing weight, but ultimately they all work by creating a calorie deficit. If you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. If you're in a surplus, you'll gain.

This doesn't mean that you'll get on with calorie counting. Some people don't like the constant tracking and weighing things out etc, and if you really don't like something you're less likely to stick to it. It does work though.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Yes of course!