Pectus malformations - Lower chest advice?

Options
1 in 1500 people have a chest malformation. I am one of those few. I have pectus carinatum, also known as "pigeon chest". Only a mild case of it tho, and it's fairly symmetrical. My curiosity struck last night, so I went googling about it. Body building seems to be a common solution to help "hide" it a bit. I didn't join MFP thinking about my malformation, but rather to cut down fat. In the process, I've been doing a 5x5(apologies if my lingo is incorrect) and have noticed my upper chest developing. All this time I thought chest muscles were non-existent for me! But, now that it IS developing, I'm finding my lower chest is doing basically nothing. I had just finished looking at supplementary exercises to target it, but I want to hear from those with experience.

If you have a pectus malformation(carinatum or excavatum), how have you successfully targeted your lower chest? Is it just difficult because of our condition, or is it just that difficult in general? I'm willing to hear from anyone that has experience with this, whether it's yourself or a friend you know.

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My son's friend has Pigeon's Chest and wears a brace to help correct. Have you attempted that?

Edit - I don't know much about it, but maybe it only works while your bones are still growing.
  • Linkero
    Linkero Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My son's friend has Pigeon's Chest and wears a brace to help correct. Have you attempted that?

Edit - I don't know much about it, but maybe it only works while your bones are still growing.

I never had the chance to try the brace. As you guessed, it only really works when the bones are still growing. Unfortunately, I'm a bit too old for that now! Great suggestion for younger members whom may have the issue! Regardless, it isn't severe enough for me to consider getting fixed(via surgery). I have been very lucky in that aspect compared to others that suffer from it. I hope your sons friend the best!
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If your goal is to develop full and we'll rounded pecs a 5x5 program may not be the best option. A hypertrophy/bodybuilding program is going to have more exercises and a wider variety, which helps those of us that seem to have muscles that don't grow well. It will take time and eventually you might need to experiment with modifying lifts, but keep at it and don't neglect the rest of your body.

It's quite funny that you mention getting off the 5x5 as I've been looking into other, more advanced workout schedules this morning. I only started the 5x5 as an all-around fitness fixer. I'm the sort of person that likes to be active every day tho, and the 5x5 limits me to just 3 days a week. I'll take your key advice tho and just be more patient. I will be altering my workouts as well!

Thank you both!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Linkero wrote: »
    It's quite funny that you mention getting off the 5x5 as I've been looking into other, more advanced workout schedules this morning. I only started the 5x5 as an all-around fitness fixer. I'm the sort of person that likes to be active every day tho, and the 5x5 limits me to just 3 days a week. I'll take your key advice tho and just be more patient. I will be altering my workouts as well!

Thank you both!

Given your goals and the desire to be active every day, you'd be better served doing a program such as an upper/lower split or a push/pull/legs split. These can be done anywhere from 3-6 days a week, depending upon how they're structured/how you choose to run them. I agree with usmcmp that a 5x5 program is probably not the best option for your goals.

There's a comprehensive list of well designed programs here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pic? I have a lagging chest and been working at it for years. It’s very hard to fill out.