Eggs vs egg whites

cmdmedia
cmdmedia Posts: 21 Member
Any thoughts? Weight Watchers added eggs to the zero point foods list this year and I'm trying to understand why. When I track calories versus protein, or just calories egg seem to add a lot more with little protein.

Can anyone explain that?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    i eat whole eggs. but grabbed the egg white (boxes) for high protein snacks (which I haven't done as I eat eggs daily as it is so I need to get a new lunch protein...)
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    I have to admit that I eat the whole egg. A lot of people add egg whites to a whole egg instead of eating the whole egg.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I love whole eggs, but have been trying to lower calories while hitting a higher protein goal. I branched into adding egg white to a whole egg, it tastes like watered down whole egg sadness. I can't do plain egg white without some doctoring. I've found that I can use just egg white, if mixed with a bunch of other stuff (cheese, spices, spinach, mushroom, etc.).
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,310 Member
    when I was in a higher deficit, I ate egg whites, actually egg makers. they tasted like scrambled eggs but now a days I eat whole eggs. Love the yolk
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    This might be a stupid question, but for the people who only eat egg whites ... what do you do with the yolks? Just tossing them seems to be such a horrendous waste of good food.

I buy egg whites in the carton. Easier than separating whole eggs, and I’m not wasting something I paid for.

(I eat both whole eggs and egg whites, depending on what I’m doing with them.)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question, but for the people who only eat egg whites ... what do you do with the yolks? Just tossing them seems to be such a horrendous waste of good food.

I buy egg whites in the carton. Easier than separating whole eggs, and I’m not wasting something I paid for.

Yes, and there is a whole lot of egg whites in a 1 litre carton.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    They're both great. If I'm scrambling them, I usually eat whole eggs with a bit of liquid whites added for extra protein while limiting calories. But some recipes need just whites while some are better with the yolk. So, depends on the recipe. Whites have the protein but yolks have the nutrients. Win-win.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    I can understand the idea of making fruits and vegetables free. It would be really hard for me to overeat broccoli for example. Some people have success eating unlimited fruits and vegetables while just limiting their portions of starchy carbs, meat, and whatever else they eat. I can't imagine why they would add eggs to the list of free foods. Why do they want people eating eggs? I imagine the more that gets added to their list of "free" foods, the lower the number of points each person is allotted to make up for that. So that would just be forcing people to eat more eggs or be hungry. What if someone doesn't like eggs?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member

Hollandaise? ;););)

Awww, who am I kidding? Actually, I'd probably use the yolks to make the Hollandaise, then need to use up the whites . . . meringues, probably. Mmm, Pavlova! ;)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

This is exactly my answer as well. I assume that the companies who sell egg whites also sell the yolks for other products: sauces, desserts, and such.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2018
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I can understand the idea of making fruits and vegetables free. It would be really hard for me to overeat broccoli for example. Some people have success eating unlimited fruits and vegetables while just limiting their portions of starchy carbs, meat, and whatever else they eat. I can't imagine why they would add eggs to the list of free foods. Why do they want people eating eggs? I imagine the more that gets added to their list of "free" foods, the lower the number of points each person is allotted to make up for that. So that would just be forcing people to eat more eggs or be hungry. What if someone doesn't like eggs?

Eggs, corn, fish, seafood, skinless chicken breast, skinless turkey breast, non-fat plain yogurt, beans, peas, lentils, and tofu have all been added to the list of free foods as I understand it. I think they're trying to not only emphasize veg and fruit, but lean proteins and healthful sources of carbohydrates as well.

I think the idea is that eating like this will crowd out other things...I largely eat this way and I'm pretty satiated and would probably do just fine with WW method (I don't log anyway)...I'm sure mileage is variable.

I don't know that they are giving out less points...I think they're just really inflating the points of things not on the "free" list...so a treat or two would pretty much wipe out your points.

ETA: As to the OP...on it's face it would appear that WW is putting an emphasis on nutrition and the overall nutritional profile of various foods. Egg whites are a great way to get in some "cheap" protein in terms of calories...but the egg white contains most of the nutrition of an egg...lots more actual vitamins and minerals and essential fatty acids.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »

Eggs, corn, fish, seafood, skinless chicken breast, skinless turkey breast, non-fat plain yogurt, beans, peas, lentils, and tofu have all been added to the list of free foods as I understand it. I think they're trying to not only emphasize veg and fruit, but lean proteins and healthful sources of carbohydrates as well.

I think the idea is that eating like this will crowd out other things...I largely eat this way and I'm pretty satiated and would probably do just fine with WW method (I don't log anyway)...I'm sure mileage is variable.

I don't know that they are giving out less points...I think they're just really inflating the points of things not on the "free" list...so a treat or two would pretty much wipe out your points.

ETA: As to the OP...on it's face it would appear that WW is putting an emphasis on nutrition and the overall nutritional profile of various foods. Egg whites are a great way to get in some "cheap" protein in terms of calories...but the egg white contains most of the nutrition of an egg...lots more actual vitamins and minerals and essential fatty acids.

They definitely reduced the points when they expanded the zero point food list for Freestyle. The previous Points Plus plan had the same smart points system but the minimum daily points for a woman was 30, now it is 23.
  • emjay196363
    emjay196363 Posts: 37 Member

I used to feed them to the dog but now I just buy egg whites in a carton and mix with whole egg.