Replies

• hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Tuna or smoked salmon and veggies
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do a cooked breakfast there's always loads of protein in that! Tofu scramble, beans and sausages are the main sources.

If you want something quicker, oats will have a decent amount, with a plant based milk instead of dairy. Soy has the highest protein, typically the other "milks" don't have a lot, but you'll still get protein in the oats.

Or protein enriched cereal. I know weetabix do a chocolate protein crunch and there's no dairy in that (at least there wasn't last I looked!) and I'm pretty sure they do a regular protein enriched weetabix too, although I don't know the ingredients of that.

• allisonlh3394
    allisonlh3394 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recently found a protein shake called Premier Protein at sams club! They have different flavors and they only have 1 gram of sugar for the entire container. I use it as a creamer for my coffee in the morning . I think it has around 30grams of protein per container. You can also put it in overnight oatmeal. I put my oats in a mason jar with half chocolate premier protein in the fridge overnight and it’s perfect in the morning.
  • erikfarrar
    erikfarrar Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    1. One of my go-to breakfasts is to make 'cakes or waffles with a ~1:1 mix of protein powder and a complete ("just add water") pancake mix. I typically use whey protein and Kodiak Power Cakes mix (which probably has egg and dairy), but I'm sure you can find an allergen-free mix and use a plant-based protein powder (look for powders that are mixes of different plant sources, e.g. rice and pea, as they tend to cook/bake better). Play around with the ratio to get the consistency that you like. Top with fruit, low-cal syrup, or nut butter!

2. Add a scoop of plant-based protein powders to your oatmeal (usually best added AFTER cooking the oats).

3. A good overnight oats recipe:
    • 1/4 cup oats
    • 1/4 cup plant-based protein powder (base flavor will determine the overall flavor, vanilla is a good blank slate)
    • 1 tsp chia seeds
    • 1/2 cup water or non-dairy milk of choice, or to desired consistency (it'll thicken up a bit overnight)
    • (Optional, replace 1/4 cup of water with a non-dairy yogurt or applesauce, etc.)
    • Sweetener, as desired
    Make a few and stick in the fridge at least overnight and up to a couple days ahead of time.

Toss in whatever add-ins you like to flavor it up:
    • Instant coffee & cocoa powder (mocha!)
    • Cocoa powder & shredded coconut
    • Raisins, walnuts, shredded carrot, & cinnamon (carrot cake!)
    • Ground ginger, cinnamon, & molasses (gingerbread!)
    • Diced apple* & cinnamon
    • Sliced banana* & peanut butter or peanut powder
    *(Fresh fruits & berries are best added just prior to consuming.)

4. Sweet potato "toast": Slice sweet potatoes ~1/4 inch thick and broil or toss them in the toaster for a few cycles (lots of YouTube videos), and top with just about anything: smoked salmon & dairy free cream cheese, avocado & chicken breast, nut butter, etc.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My go-to high protein breakfast is a smoothie made with Vega Coconut Almond protein powder, cashew milk or a splash of full fat coconut milk, frozen banana, spinach, turmeric and ice. So yummy and I find it very satisfying.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing new to add but want to thank everyone who came before me for the awesome new ideas!
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    erikfarrar wrote: »
    1. One of my go-to breakfasts is to make 'cakes or waffles with a ~1:1 mix of protein powder and a complete ("just add water") pancake mix. I typically use whey protein and Kodiak Power Cakes mix (which probably has egg and dairy), but I'm sure you can find an allergen-free mix and use a plant-based protein powder (look for powders that are mixes of different plant sources, e.g. rice and pea, as they tend to cook/bake better). Play around with the ratio to get the consistency that you like. Top with fruit, low-cal syrup, or nut butter!

2. Add a scoop of plant-based protein powders to your oatmeal (usually best added AFTER cooking the oats).

3. A good overnight oats recipe:
    • 1/4 cup oats
    • 1/4 cup plant-based protein powder (base flavor will determine the overall flavor, vanilla is a good blank slate)
    • 1 tsp chia seeds
    • 1/2 cup water or non-dairy milk of choice, or to desired consistency (it'll thicken up a bit overnight)
    • (Optional, replace 1/4 cup of water with a non-dairy yogurt or applesauce, etc.)
    • Sweetener, as desired
    Make a few and stick in the fridge at least overnight and up to a couple days ahead of time.

Toss in whatever add-ins you like to flavor it up:
    • Instant coffee & cocoa powder (mocha!)
    • Cocoa powder & shredded coconut
    • Raisins, walnuts, shredded carrot, & cinnamon (carrot cake!)
    • Ground ginger, cinnamon, & molasses (gingerbread!)
    • Diced apple* & cinnamon
    • Sliced banana* & peanut butter or peanut powder
    *(Fresh fruits & berries are best added just prior to consuming.)

4. Sweet potato "toast": Slice sweet potatoes ~1/4 inch thick and broil or toss them in the toaster for a few cycles (lots of YouTube videos), and top with just about anything: smoked salmon & dairy free cream cheese, avocado & chicken breast, nut butter, etc.

I'm really digging all of these ideas! I love pancakes and miss having them. I'll have to look for an egg/dairy free variety.
    Also never heard of the sweet potato idea but I'm definitely going to try it!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast with nonfat refried beans
    High protein waffles (substitute ground flax seed for egg; add protein powder) as a treat?
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Easy Peanut Butter Protein Bars --- no-bake and only four ingredients. A great source of protein!
    Servings: 12 bars Calories: 249
    Ingredients

1 cup natural peanut butter
    3/4 cup honey
    1 1/2 cups quick oats (not instant)
    1 cup vanilla protein powder

Instructions
    Line a 9x9-inch or 7x11-in pan with parchment or wax paper.
    In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat the peanut butter and honey on high for 30 seconds. Stir. Place bowl back in the microwave and heat for another 30 seconds. Stir again. Mix in the oats and protein powder until combined. Immediately spread evenly into the prepared pan.
    Refrigerate, uncovered, for 1 hour. Remove from the fridge and cut into 12 bars. Cover and store on the counter at room temperature for up to 1 week. (I just store mine in the same pan with a lid.)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Steak and a side salad. There is no rule that states that only certain foods or dishes can be eaten for specific meals.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    30g oats, 1 banana, 1 scoop protein powder, 300mm water, 5ml honey, peanut butter if you need calories, blend and drink tastes great
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    How are you getting along with whey?

My standard go-to breakfast is usually a protein bar and some cashews, but some good quality turkey ham on Wasa or Finn crisp would fit too. I'm not a fan of liquid meals but if it's your thing and whey is not an issue you could go for the shakes. There's a lot of ideas above!