Anyone not doing low carb?

Options

Replies

• iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I see alot of low carb on here and was just wondering if anyone has had success just following the guidelines given by MFP and not necessarily doing low carb.

I got down to my goal weight and am maintaining just following a calorie deficit. All these other "diets" seem like gimics to me, but whatever way a person finds easiest to get to a healthy weight is the way to go :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have no interest in doing low carb. I love carbs.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The only reason I eat low carb is because I am diabetic. If you have no medical reason to avoid carbs, eat them....I envy anyone who can.
  • longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    There was a headline today- low carb people die faster! So there, let me eat my dang bagels in peace. ;-)

I read the same article! I have found that a good macro count for me is 33%, 33%, 33%. I don’t try to hit this on purpose, it’s just what I eat. I am more concerned with keeping my surgar grams down.

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I eat lower carb because I have T2 diabetes and too many carbs gives me blood glucose spikes. I'd like to do a very low carb/calorie plan when I've successfully managed my diabetes and diet over an extended period, so maybe in another year or two when my new normal eating habits have really embedded in, but if I keep going as I am I may not need to. I don't know if it's necessary to drastically cut carbs or calories if you have no serious medical issues, are eating a standard healthy diet at a calorie deficit, changing your long term eating habits, and are losing weight steadily.
  • Dancer0515
    Dancer0515 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try looking up macro counting! Its works. I have seen a lot of althetes and fitness models do it. Thats what im doing! I will let you know how it goes!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Dancer0515 wrote: »
    Try looking up macro counting! Its works. I have seen a lot of althetes and fitness models do it. Thats what im doing! I will let you know how it goes!

It's really the same thing. Carbs and protein 4 calories per gram; fat 9 calories per gram.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... no. The only macro I worry about is hitting 100g of protein, the rest can fall where they may with whatever meal combinations my soul desires that day/week.

I’m intolerant to wheat, rye and barley (not gluten, the cereals themselves), so that naturally limits my carb intake somewhat as I can’t have regular bread or pasta. I still eat rice, gluten free pasta (rice and corn flour) and potatoes regularly, and my digestion requires semi-regular servings of oatmeal and oat bread to get enough fiber and other goodies found in oats.

Even with that, I just went and checked my weekly macros log on MFP, and my carbs seems to be consistently at 35-45%.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did it for a week and it made me feel revolting. Counting calories works for me so I dont know why I went keto for a week. I think I was craving eggs fried in butter or something 😂

• Kereru44
    Kereru44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Me... knlzz7xr9d3x.jpg
  • TheMagicOneMikeD
    TheMagicOneMikeD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was doing keto for a few months and I loved it. I lost like 70 pounds during that time. I would honestly still be on it but I am transitioning over to re-composition while it's likely to work for me and then shifting my main focus to bodybuilding. Most of what I have read is ppl swearing you need plenty of carbs to build muscle, so that's where I'm at now. One major difference is I am losing weight a whole lot slower with carbs, but to be fair I also increased my calorie intake.
  • milkiiistar
    milkiiistar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

coming from both sides of doing low carb and every other fad diet out there to my current lifestyle of just eating whatever I want by eating at a defecit I would say that the defecit is better and 1000 times much more sustainable as a lifestyle and habit for me personally. I went from 155 to 130 on keto/low carb and gained it all back instantly after 9 months because I couldn't sustain it mentally and physically. I literally needed to eat carbs or my body would go into pins and needles and I'd faint. I wasn't eating enough calories even though I was eating so much fat and protein. it just wasn't sustainable as a habit for me to continue doing. Now I eat at a defecit of 1300 kcal eating WHATEVER I want, junk food in moderation to veggies/protein/fruits and I have lost 13 lbs of fat and gained 9 lbs of muscles working out and eating normally at 140 lbs. so yes. it takes a while, but you just have to make it bearable and enjoyable as you possibly can. ❤️
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have always enjoyed carbs. Plus my dad who did low carb for years had a bad stroke. He is okay now thank goodness and it is not clear there was a direct causation but his doctors did tell him to stop doing that diet. I just limit calories and to make sure I still get to eat the foods I enjoy sometimes/ in moderation.
  • kearly206
    kearly206 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don’t know what life would be without carbs, being an ametuer athlete (rugby) I need carbs to have energy. Plain and simple I’ve tried the slow carb diet (the four hour body) and was successful but gained it all back just because it was basically torture