Anyone not doing low carb?

Options

Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I definitely saw a lot of success keeping carbs a bit higher than most might be comfortable with. I tried low-carb, keto, etc and I just couldn't stick to it without feeling like the living dead. I just went back to doing what was sustainable for me.
  • peachpastries
    peachpastries Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't! Restricting my carbs gives me less energy and less happiness, and I'm more bound to binge. Every meal I eat has a carb, including potatoes, rice, and fruit! I just try to eat enough protein, and stay within/under my calorie goal and limit things like chips, bread, cereal, candies because they're not as filling as oats, beans, rice, bananas, etc. I even eat carbs on days I don't workout!

Just do you, and be open to trail and error, different things work for different people!
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Low carb for me is anything under 350g lol
  • deisebayer
    deisebayer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do what we call "food reeducation" or something like that in Brazil. I am eating so much less bread than before, but I am not doing low-carb. I just fell in love for oats, so I usually swap bread for oats, but not intentional... hehe. I lost 16 kg so far, uhu! I think that a healthy diet is super important because you must keep it all your life, so I prefered to adapt to a diet and exercising routine that works for me. I feel like doing it for all my life, without any problem.
  • stewarm01
    stewarm01 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I switch up from week to week at times, but I count calories as a fall back and eat what I want. I've been have "free" Saturdays as well. It's working so far, 8 weeks in and down 38 pounds. I walk 4 miles 6 days week also and try to stay lower calories during my other 6 non free days.
  • powerplaymsu
    powerplaymsu Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My body sheds weight on low carb, no processed food or sugar. Problem kicks in when I work out. Have zero energy. Sleeping a ton. Have been lifting for 3 1/2 years. Now it's like a tidal wave with fat. I shed it quickly but for now I'm zapped. 49yo btw. What I really need to do is eat them where they fit, before my work out. Only I'm up already at 3:45am. Uggggggggggghhhhhhhh!
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm following the guidelines set by MFP. I keep a watch on certain macros (sodium, protein, etc) but keep primary focus on calories.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carbs. I don't do low anything, I eat a balanced diet according to my macros and counting calories.
    There is no way I would cut way back on carbs. Everything in moderation and a calorie deficit to lose weight. Add in strength training to assist in building muscle if you wish and some cardio if you enjoy it. All help in the process, but do not eat those calories back. It is that simple, not easy but simple. No magic potion, pill or fad.
  • ashleyhickok2015
    ashleyhickok2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25lbs last go around eating exactly what I did before trying to lose weight. It all came down to eating less and trying to consciously make better choices. Unfortunetly, I picked up some really bad eating habits when nursing my daughter that I didn't stop when she weaned, and now here I am all over again.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm not on low carb as it's meant, but I do try to stay away from high bready carbs, pasta/rice/bread/sweets, from my Dr. suggestion as I was/am? pre diabetic, (just had more blood work done, so we'll see if the 29# I've lost "fixed" me), but chocolate is my kryptonite, the only thing I miss with bread is PB&J sandwiches...
  • William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I eat a varied diet and stick to the rule cals in against cals out. Diets come and go like fashion, so dont let us see platform shoes returning as those were killers
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are a daily thing for me.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I'm not following low carb - I am following my calorie guidelines and I am losing 2lbs per week. Having said that, I am not eating starchy carbs, but that has more to do with my husband's diabetes than my weight loss.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Kinda in the middle. I’m a bit lower carb than the MFP recommendations due to Type 2 diabetes concerns, but still up to 40% of my daily calorie allowance can come from carbs. The other 60 percent from fat and protein.

I’ve been able to lose close to 50# and reduce my A1C from 7.3% to 5.4% after 6 and 3 months respectively.

And a new A1C number from my Dr visit today, 5.1% following the same 30-40% carb diet.

And I "blew it out" with a Denny's Grand Slam Slugger to break the fast since I hadn't eaten for 15+ hours before that meal.

I won't eat again until after dinner now, that 1100 calories took over 1/2 my daily allowance :wink:
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Kinda in the middle. I’m a bit lower carb than the MFP recommendations due to Type 2 diabetes concerns, but still up to 40% of my daily calorie allowance can come from carbs. The other 60 percent from fat and protein.

I’ve been able to lose close to 50# and reduce my A1C from 7.3% to 5.4% after 6 and 3 months respectively.

And a new A1C number from my Dr visit today, 5.1% following the same 30-40% carb diet.

And I "blew it out" with a Denny's Grand Slam Slugger to break the fast since I hadn't eaten for 15+ hours before that meal.

I won't eat again until after dinner now, that 1100 calories took over 1/2 my daily allowance :wink:

And, just for those who might have worried about the DGSS breakfast yesterday, my fasting BG this AM was 82, so I did okay! I was just above the dietitian/diabetes coach recommendation of 225g carbs/day. But I also knew I was doing two workouts, so I didn't sweat it too much.

The numbers show I can keep my BG in control with diet and exercise.

FWIW, my food diary is open, so people can see what and how I eat and still lose weight if it helps.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. I did technically reduce my carbs because I was never hitting my protein goal for how much I was eating carbs. I don’t track them, but if I don’t have something carbalicious at every meal I feel weird. The meal is off and i don’t feel right.

The percentage varies based on the day. I just make sure most of my carbs are with fibre (which is something I’m used to with diabetes in the family). I do put sugar in my coffee and I’m not strict about anything.

I recoil from all “diets” tbh they just give me the heebie jeebies. I think MFP is the only way I could have been successfull. I don’t have the energy to maintain the zeal for a diet. I’ve lost almost 40lb so far.