Anyone not doing low carb?

12346»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    I stay away from bread / pasta / rice / potatoes simply because they are my trigger points. I am not interested in sweet food, but bread....can easily eat a kg of bread and then the binge eating starts. So I better stay away from high carbs trigger food.

It's probably not the carbs in those foods you crave, but all the butter, cheese, and fat that's served with them.

Your probably right. Goes back to hyperpalitable foods...
    <---- still eating blue bell dutch chocolate ice cream....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    rhsdancer5 wrote: »
    I definitely DONT do low carb! I barely eat much meat so that would be near impossible! I am a firm believer that fatty and processed meat is a huge factor to the major health problems people have today :neutral:

Obesity is a huge factor in the major health problems people have today. I’m not a low carber - but I know that many people who have chosen this as a means to lose weight have experienced health Improvements even while eating fatty and processed meats. For many, simply losing weight, results in major improvements in overall health markers.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    OP when I made up my mind to lose weight I knew if i had to cut out foods I Love, I likely wouldn’t have stuck with it. So instead I decided to add things to my lifestyle - more protein, more veggies, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep. I found that by prioritizing the things I wanted to add, within the context of a reasonable calorie target, I was able to lose weight and now maintain that loss all while still eating things like pizza, cookies, and wine in moderation.

I’m currently on a camping trip that included pancakes, bacon and sausage for breakfast, cheese and salami for lunch, and steak, baked potato casserole, green beans and s’mores for dinner. With wine of course! I’ve lost 35 lbs and have maintained that loss for 3+ years and never stopped eating these sort of things.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I lost 80 lbs and reached goal in the first year, and have kept it off 2 years 4 months so far, all while eating 50% carbs.

I run a lot, and just got back perfect blood test results.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Me! I love carbs
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    I have two “lower” carb days a week cycled with higher fat...then two “moderate” carb days, and one “high” and “super”. Mine is set up for me personally as I macro-count.

Having said that ...to lose weight all you need is a calorie-deficit as most have said. It’s about what works for you long-term.
  • FoxAndOpal
    FoxAndOpal Posts: 14 Member
    I did keto a handful of times (which is a big clue that a WOE isn’t right for you...) and always lost a lot of weight quickly but I could never sustain it and always gained it all back and then some.

Now I eat a moderate carb diet and I’m down 90lbs and still losing. I eat potatoes, rice, quinoa, and oatmeal frequently. I eat a ton of veggies and don’t limit fruits. I do tend to stay away from keeping heavily processed snack foods in the house (chips, baked goods, ice cream, etc) because I had a hard time keeping myself from bingeing on them, but I do eat them on occasion. I eat full-fat dairy, do not shy away from dietary fats, and my biggest goal is to get a good amount of protein + fiber daily. The fat and carbs macros kind of fall into place after that.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    BNY721 wrote: »
    I have two “lower” carb days a week cycled with higher fat...then two “moderate” carb days, and one “high” and “super”. Mine is set up for me personally as I macro-count.

Having said that ...to lose weight all you need is a calorie-deficit as most have said. It’s about what works for you long-term.

Eat to Perform??
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    ^^
    Yes! Honestly I found it works for me...I do performance recomp and have for two months now..I eat more and have dropped a few..now I maintain...but more importantly am fueling myself properly for how hard I train.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    I do both keto and super high carbs. My program is 4 days of low calorie, very low carb, 2 days of ultra high carb (400g +)/higher calories and one normal day (300g+).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    BNY721 wrote: »
    ^^
    Yes! Honestly I found it works for me...I do performance recomp and have for two months now..I eat more and have dropped a few..now I maintain...but more importantly am fueling myself properly for how hard I train.

I’ve been with them for nearly 3yrs now - so worth it for me
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    I eat 40/30/30 naturally because that’s what I crave. Mostly Whole Foods that make me feel healthy with a little junk for satisfaction. Carbs are not the enemy