Less Alcohol - August 2018 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    @Orphia My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Very very tragic.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Good to see so many in here today. :heart: Nearly 7 months AF for me.

My brother-in-law (divorced from my sister since last year) died a few hours ago. Liver failure. He'd been an alcoholic for years, and suicidal for a few years.

No comment. A bit shattered. Just here for some hugs. Not tempted to drink at all after this.

{[(BIG HUGGS)]}
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    So happy to find this thread. I'm healthy in so many aspects of my life. I'm prescription-free, eat healthy (unless hungover), exercise regularly (unless hungover), and don't fit into overweight category (yet). But wine is to me like brownies are to the "normal" person trying to lose weight and get healthier and sleep normally. Tracking helps me see every drop of what goes in my mouth. I'm kinda late for the August challenge, but hope there will be a challenge every month.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @Orphia, I'm so sorry.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Orphia Hugs. Sorry for your loss.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to see how everyone is.

@Orphia I am so sorry to read of your losses recently. Many hugs being sent your way <3
  • mef1107
    mef1107 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I'm sorry to hear of your sister's ex-husband's passing. However tragic this is, from what you described, it sounds like there might be a quiet sigh of relief among those closest to him, but non the less, it's still a sad loss to family and friends.. and I'm so sorry.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Just popping in to see how everyone is.

@Orphia I am so sorry to read of your losses recently. Many hugs being sent your way <3

@erikNJ Thank you, and so nice to hear from you. I was thinking of you on Friday, when reading this article about an inspirational bartender who runs:

Runner’s World April 2018, The Transformer, by Christopher Ross
    Re Sam Anderson, NY bartender:

Sam quoted Rainer Maria Rilke, The Limits of Our Longing,

“Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final.”

I used that to help me through a 35 km run today that I originally planned to walk with my sister before the tragedy.

The run went really well, and I was surprised how well my body handled it. Feeling good.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Feel free to join in at any time.

You may not know if you want to quit completely, or whether you can, and that's OK.

• mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I'm so sorry--what a tragedy. Thank you for sharing here. Very sobering reminder alcohol's potential destruction.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the hugs and kind words. <3

Aside from some morbid thoughts when listening to metalcore music, I've been coping well.

My motto, "Challenge your thoughts, don't believe everything you think" gets me through.

Allowing myself to feel sadness when it hits.

But mostly, I've been treasuring the preciousness and beauty of life.
  • Orphia
    Options
    OK, enough about me!!! 🙂

Let's hear all of your struggles and successes!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi Guys, I’m on day 36 AF out of a lifetime ahead of sobriety. :) I’ve accepted that this is my new lifestyle. After about day 30, I got over the depression and anxiety that my brain was experiencing.

For anyone trying to moderate, I had good success passing a rule for myself: no drinking during the week and only on weekends. That kind of helped me establish a new routine and I worked out after work instead. I did this back in the winter. It worked better for me than saying I’ll only drink 1-2 drinks per night. Once that bottle of wine was opened, I always wanted more than 2. But that’s my whole problem to begin with.

Other than that, I wish you well on your moderation journey. Xo Also, for anyone new to this thread, check out the very first page for excellent resources to suit whichever goals you have.