Bike buying tips?

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
I'm thinking about getting fitted for a bike. This would be for road biking and tri-sprints. I have not biked for 30 years and that was short, flat distances on a 3-speed Schwinn. I am open to buying used once I understand what I need.

I will talk to the bike shop and get fitted, but don't know what to ask about. What questions do I need to ask at the bike shop?

My questions for you:
A friend with experience suggested I start with a hybrid because they are easier to handle. Do you agree?

What do I need for a seat? My rear get sore within 15 minutes on a bike at the gym.

Will the bent over position for the handlebars hurt my back & neck? I have arthritis in both areas and feel really uncomfortable bending over on the bike at the gym.

Should I start with toe clips or clipless? I like the idea of getting more power from clipless but understand they are a lot trickier to learn. I've only used regular flat pedals.

How many gears do I need to do hills successfully? (There are lots of hills where I live.)

Assuming a correct fit from the bike shop, what will I want to watch out for in terms of "feel" to ultimately get a comfortable ride?

What will I "wish" I had paid attention to once I lay down my $ and start riding?

Thanks for any tips you can share!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    ok, let's see here. A lot of it will be personal preference/trial and error. But I'll take a stab at your questions -
    1. The more upright you are, the easier it will be to handle the bike. The more bent over you are, and the more forward your weight is, the more twitchy the bike will feel. With a bit of practice, neither should be a problem.
    2. totally personal preference. Much like running shoes, every seat, and every butt is different. Padded shorts help a lot.
    3. It could. A well-fitted bike should help a lot, but no way to know for sure how big of a problem, if at all, it will be. A good fitter should be able to get you on the right bike to address those concerns.
    4. Clipless are pretty easy to pickup, so if you think you want to go that route, I would just bite the bullet and do it.
    5. Its not how many, it's having the right ones. I'd recommend a compact double crankset. The rear cassette should be fairly standard.
    6. you probably won't be comfortable immediately, especially if you go for a more agressive bike (road or tri vs hybrid, for example). And honestly, you just have to give yourself some time to get used to being in the riding position. Butt pain is normal, that usually goes away. Back fatigue is normal, back pain isn't. Arm/shoulder/neck varies person to person... fatigue you can usually get used to with time, pain is pain and should be addressed with your shop/fitter.
    7. Spend the money on things that make you comfortable (the right frame, the right saddle, the right stem and handlebars. Spend the money on the things that keep you safe (helmet, tires). Everything else is pretty much disposable and relatively cheap/easy to replace.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting fitted for a bike. This would be for road biking and tri-sprints. I have not biked for 30 years and that was short, flat distances on a 3-speed Schwinn. I am open to buying used once I understand what I need.

I will talk to the bike shop and get fitted, but don't know what to ask about. What questions do I need to ask at the bike shop?

My questions for you:
    A friend with experience suggested I start with a hybrid because they are easier to handle. Do you agree?

Maybe. If it has truly been that long, you may want to make sure you enjoy cycling first. Road bike prices pretty much bottom out at $650 minimum (unless you have significant know-how and are mail ordering and will be assembling yourself) or really luck out on getting one used. A used hybrid is much easier & cheaper to come by (especially with all the un-fit people suddenly buying them to participate in slow rolls and then quickly trying to sell them when they decide that exercise isn't for them after all).

What do I need for a seat? My rear get sore within 15 minutes on a bike at the gym.

For a road bike seat, you will likely want either padded cycling shorts or some type of padded seat cover. (most people go with the former, but I find that the edges where they adhere down the shammy/padding bit tends to chafe - so I bought a cover which I really like: http://a.co/d/aIPo9HK )

Will the bent over position for the handlebars hurt my back & neck? I have arthritis in both areas and feel really uncomfortable bending over on the bike at the gym.

If the spinning bike hurts, then I'm guessing the road bike probably will too.

Should I start with toe clips or clipless? I like the idea of getting more power from clipless but understand they are a lot trickier to learn. I've only used regular flat pedals.

Get the clipless. Both the old straps and the clipless will take a little getting used to. but not much. And definitely way, way more efficient..both when peddling and when re-starting from a traffic stop. I would never go with regular flat pedals on a road bike.

How many gears do I need to do hills successfully? (There are lots of hills where I live.)

This will vary a bit for your strength and how you cycle (some people prefer to stand and use force, I tend to go to the granny gear quicker and stay seated with as close to my usual cadence as I can when possible). You'll probably be going with whatever the default is on which road bike is most affordable, actually available to buy, and meets your other criteria. Some people insist on having a triple. Mine is not. Your weight will make a huge difference on hill climbs. I can blow past a lot of more powerful guys on the hill climbs because their weight is so much higher.

Assuming a correct fit from the bike shop, what will I want to watch out for in terms of "feel" to ultimately get a comfortable ride?

What will I "wish" I had paid attention to once I lay down my $ and start riding?

You will also want a mirror: This is one of the best (by far): http://a.co/d/fAUElZ2
    and Lights
    and a repair kit (minimum of a spare tube, tire levers, inflator+CO2 canisters; also good to have a small mini tool (something like this: https://www.parktool.com/product/micro-fold-up-hex-key-set-aws-13 - it has just the few very common bits you'll commonly need for things like adjusting water cages, seat position, etc), and possibly a mini pump in case you run out of CO2, and probably a few wet wipes, and a saddle bag to store it in if you don't want to stuff everything in a jersey pocket.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have and love a hybrid for commuting, but IMO if you want to road bike or do tris, then you should just get a road bike. Hybrids are easier because you are more upright and most people are more accustomed to the position of the handlebars and gears, but no point in the intermediary step if you're going to be racing.

The important thing about a seat is that it fits you correctly. Some bike stores will measure the distance between your sit bones (usually by having you sit in a tray or sand or similar, nothing too touchy or anything) to get you a seat that will work for your anatomy and not cause you pain. I personally prefer a very minimal, unpadded seat that fits exactly right to one of those gel monstrosities.

I don't know if the position will hurt you, but a bike that's the right frame size is going to be a lot more comfortable than the standard ones at your gym. You look fairly petite and so I'm guessing you might need a shorter frame.

I don't ride a road bike much so I won't comment on the next couple of questions, but FWIW I rarely use more than three or four of my gears - one for flat, one for getting started at stoplights, one for small hills, and one for big hills. But again, not a road biker.

As far as "feel", the bike store person can help you with this by watching how the geometry of your body fits on the bike (angle of your torso and arms, your hips relative to the frame height, etc. All I can say is that the first time I got on a women's small frame instead of the unisex/men's medium type I'd always had before, I was blown away by how different it felt and it just instantly felt so much easier to ride a bike. I had no idea that I could be that comfortable since I'd always been on one that was too large before.

The only other thing I'd mention is that disc brakes are worth the upgrade in my opinion. I'm not a bike expert but they just feel safer to me, and need to be maintained less frequently.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I could probably answer all of these questions but I don't think I'd be able to do justice to all of them so I'll pick and choose.

If you're wanting to use this new bike for sprint triathlons go with a road bike. I can't imagine you'd be terribly comfortable using a hybrid bike for a tri or. I don't think you need to get a tri bike (especially given you've presumably never done one, aren't sure that you 100% like it, and haven't been on a bike in 30 years), but an entry level road bike would suffice.

I would specifically talk to the person who is doing the fitting about your concerns in terms of your arthritis. You could also see about finding someone who does medical bike fits (which would be from someone who is experienced in fitting bikes for people with complex medical needs). I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be able to find a set up that would allow you to comfortably use drop bars (so not flat handlebars) but it might take more time than someone who isn't used to them and doesn't have arthritis in your back and neck. That said, I don't know the severity of your arthritis or your pain. Given your medical needs combined with you not having any idea of what you'll need (which is logical, that isn't a dig against you), I don't think it would be super wise to buy used at this point in the game. That isn't to say that you can't find a used bike that will be able to fit you well, but I don't know that it's worth trying.

In terms of toe cages (clips) vs clipless pedals, I vote for clipless pedals. I personally find cages beyond finky and didn't find the learning curve of clipless pedals that steep. I would suggest going with a system that allows you to clip in on both sides. Something like Shimano's two bolt SPDs or the Speedplay pedals. You could also just start out with flat pedals (which I would also opt for over toe cages).

Hills are subjective (what you might think of as hilly I might not) but I'd suggest a compact crankset or a triple (which are going out of style but I am a fan of given where I live). This is a very good question for the person/people you'll talk to at your local bike shop (LBS) as they'll know the terrarian better than we will.

Saddle stuff is very very very individual. I would suggest springing for padded bike shorts (so shorts with a chamois pad) and potentially chamois cream as well. Do not wear underwear with padded bike shorts. I personally like my Brooks B17 imperial but there are plenty of people who can't tolerate them. There are a ton of people who like the Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow but it isn't a good saddle for me for anything more than 20 or 30 miles which is why one of the first things I did when preparing for my century was to go about finding a saddle that was a better fit for me. If you can find a bike shop near you that allows you to try out different saddles do it. It's totally worth it.

I would also suggest perusing bikeforums.net as there is a wealth of information about all of this there.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback already. Great perspectives and a lot to think about. FWIW @peleroja I am far from petite at 5'7" and 160. Pics can be deceiving LOL, and I still appreciate your feedback very much.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're planning to get for before you buy a bike, and to narrow your selection based on the fitter's advice. That's very wise. Doing that is the absolute best advice anyone can give.

I'd recommend renting bikes, of different styles, to get summer more recent experience before you buy. This will help you figure out what you like and what you hate, and guide your buying decision. A good shop will let you do an all day test ride.

I'd go right to clipless, but they won't give you more power, it's mostly about comfort and security. I think you would be better served with a road bike if triathlon is part of your reasoning.

Fabric makes excellent saddles. They have a gel one that you should try.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions above. All good stuff.

I'll offer my 2 cents: Sounds like you would really benefit from working with a good bike fitter, since you said you have comfort issues with the standard road bike riding position. A fitter will help you find the most comfortable position and adjust your bike to put you in a comfortable (and efficient) position on the bike. A bike fitting is worth every penny spent if you intend to ride any real distance.

For example, I had a bike fit done first, prior to buying my bike, then we took my specs and shopped for a tri bike with the geometry that lined up well with my measurements. A fitter would do the same thing with a road bike.

Also, if you're thinking of dabbling in triathlons, buying a road bike makes a lot of sense. With a properly fitted road bike, you'd have a dual purpose bike for both racing and social rides.

Good luck with your bike search. Getting a new bike is exciting!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to consider a used bike, that depreciate like cars, but are mechanically simpler and more reliable. You would want a friend who is comfort with bike mechanical stuff to shop with you.

If not, buy from a store you like, because you'll bring the bike in for maintenance regularly. You'll want to have the wheels re-tensioned after 200 miles. The cables will stretch a little because it's new. Eventually you'll wear the chain out.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

I'll offer my 2 cents: Sounds like you would really benefit from working with a good bike fitter, since you said you have comfort issues with the standard road bike riding position. A fitter will help you find the most comfortable position and adjust your bike to put you in a comfortable (and efficient) position on the bike. A bike fitting is worth every penny spent if you intend to ride any real distance.

For example, I had a bike fit done first, prior to buying my bike, then we took my specs and shopped for a tri bike with the geometry that lined up well with my measurements. A fitter would do the same thing with a road bike.

Also, if you're thinking of dabbling in triathlons, buying a road bike makes a lot of sense. With a properly fitted road bike, you'd have a dual purpose bike for both racing and social rides.

agree wholeheartedly. Saved me a lot of typing. Just to emphasise, a bike shop bike fit is quite different to a proper bike fit unless the shop does both.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    awinner_au wrote: »

agree wholeheartedly. Saved me a lot of typing. Just to emphasise, a bike shop bike fit is quite different to a proper bike fit unless the shop does both.

Seconted about the bike fit bit specifically.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options

My questions for you:

Hybrids are easier on your back and neck if you are untrained. Short answer yes they are easier to handle, but nothing imo beats the feeling of drop bars.

You need time on the bike lots of it. There are saddles fit for different types of booties, but at the end of the day time on the saddle will be the biggest factor to comfort. Oh i also recommend padded shorts or bib.

Yes, but you can reduce stress on your neck and back with proper posture. Arms bent 90 degree angle to dampen the vibrations. Engage your core while cycling so you're not hyperextending your back and leaning on the bars too hard. Also gel filled gloves are nice too.

I prefer clipless pedals. Like you mentioned "more power" also don't be too afraid to fall because everyone does it at least once.

I climb category 2 hills with ease on a 11 speed.

This link might give you an idea.

https://www.bikeexchange.com/blog/aero-vs-endurance-vs-lightweight

Hmm i wish i paid attention to the weather can't even remember how many times i got monsooned on lmao.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the technicalities but if you tend to get carried away like I do. Maybe start with something on the cheap end of the scale and only buy the 'investment' bike once you know exactly what you want and how much you'll be using it.
  • lorrpb
    Options

What do you mean by this?
  • Djproulx
    edited August 2018
    Options
    OP, here is an example of what a bike fit studio does.

http://www.bodyoverbike.com/

Included in the webpage is a link to a YouTube video that shows how the latest computerized bike fitting systems provide infinite adjustments that riders can test on the fly. The rider gives feedback to the fitter about comfort levels while in various riding positions, allowing the fitter to capture the optimal positional data for each rider. This then allows the fitter to set up the chosen bike to maximize each specific rider's comfort and efficiency.

Edited to add: The bike fit process I used was done completely independant of any bike purchase. In my case, I had the bike fit done and then we used the data to make adjustments to my existing road bike. Then, 8 months later, we used my "fit data" to select several good candidate triathlon bikes. The selection was based on both the fit geometry and my budget.

• Djproulx
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I've never really heard it differentiated like that, but what I assume they mean is...

Any bike shop can spend 20 minutes and get you reasonably fitted to a bike. This is sufficient for "most" people. Only some shops can/will fit your first, then take all those numbers/measurements and find the bike that is best suited to you. IME, it goes something like this...
    • Walk into a shop, tell them what you're looking for.
    • Employee recommends a few bikes.
    • You ask a couple of questions, employee answers, you make a decision.
    • Employee says you'd probably fit best on a medium or 55 or whatever size bike.
    • You say ok.
    • Employee adjusts bars and saddle.
    • You buy the bike. The end.
    -- or --
    • Walk into a shop, tell them what you're looking for.
    • Employee gets other employee who is trained/certified fitter.
    • Fitter puts you on the fitting bike/machine.
    • You spend some time (could be 20 minutes, could be an hour) spinning on the bike while the fitter makes small adjustments to things like seat height and position, bar height, stem length, stem angle, etc etc.
    • After some time, you decide you're reasonably comfortable with the setup.
    • Fitter takes the numbers/measurements and compares those to the bikes he sells. Figures out which bike(s) most closely match your numbers and makes a recommendation.
    • You ask questions, fitter answers, you make a decision.
    • You buy the bike.
    • maybe the end, maybe not. Some shops/fitters will include a fit tweak after some initial time with the bike.
    • You fall in love with cycling, take out a 3rd mortgage, buy all the bikes.
    • The end.

Hahaha! The voice of experience!!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback already. Great perspectives and a lot to think about. FWIW @peleroja I am far from petite at 5'7" and 160. Pics can be deceiving LOL, and I still appreciate your feedback very much.

Oops, I'm sorry for thinking you looked short, haha. Must just be the photo (or me projecting my problems onto others...) ;)

I still say 5'7" is short enough that you might be more comfortable on something a little smaller than the "standard" (department store or stationary gym equipment, for example) unisex frame though.

Not to go off on a total tangent, but in my experience the world is pretty much designed for men between 5'10" and 6'0", with the single exception of airline seats, so there are a lot of things that will always be slightly too big for those of us who aren't. Stuff like office furniture (I love spending meetings unable to touch the floor and with the conference table so high I can't type without giving myself carpal tunnel...), kitchen appliances (I can't reach the back of my fridge or see into my over-the-range microwave), restaurant booths (where I have to perch at the edge of the seat and, again, have the table uncomfortably high) and gym equipment like stationary bikes (or any of those weight machines where I sit down and then can't reach any of the things I have to grab). I go to spin class once in a while and it is so uncomfortable on a bike where the handlebars only move up and down and not towards the seat, because I have to reach so far for the drop position. And I'm 5'4", which isn't even super short for a woman.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options

In case they don't get back to you.

A professional bike fit would be something you would pay extra for. A good bike shop fit would get you a properly sized and style of bike, but they're selling you a bike, not fitting your bike to you at a professional fit level. Some shops also do professional fitting.

Read this, it goes into detail. With your existing injury concerns you might want to get fitted.

https://www-bicycling-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bicycling.com/skills-tips/amp20036352/bike-fit-0/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE=#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tips/a20036352/bike-fit-0/