Fitness Updates... The Quickest Way to Alienate Non-Lifting Friends

Options
2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I quit Facebook personally. I have just found it to be a drama filled waste of time
    Whatevs. Like I am any more interested in hearing about their homely little baby triumphs than they are in hearing about my big sweaty lady gym triumphs.

Oh congratulations, it turned 3 months, you must be proud. I can do 5 chin ups and am proud of that. Both are laudable achievements and we are both playing "look at me". What the hell is social media for other than playing "look at me"??

If they're truly your friends, they'll grin and bear it. If they can't grin and bear it, then your mother was correct and you don't need friends like that anyway.

Yes, look at me! I agree! I quit Facebook personally. I have just found it to be a drama filled waste of time. This is about the only forum I am active on. I have in the last 4 months dedicated my life to hard work and discipline,something I knew little about earlier in life, 28 out of 30 days a month. What do I have to show off, bruises, cuts, calloused hand, and so far have not regained a monkey ton of weight.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't actually understand why people get upset about what other people post, baring total nudity or overt violence/racism/sexism/hateful content. If I'm following someone on social media it's because I care about them in some way; so I want to see their babies, pets, accomplishments, etc. If I didn't care to see those things I wouldn't follow them and the problem would solve itself. If it makes you feel good to share, I don't see any reason not to. If your friends are bothered it they can deal with it on their end. Unfollowing someone but remaining "friends" on sites like FB always amuses me though, to me it screams "I don't care about your life, but I want you to still see me!"

That being said, I don't post my workouts or my progress on social media. 90% of my friends are not at all interested in fitness, so I doubt they'd be excited about those updates, but also I just don't share much there in general. Heck, it took us a year to share our wedding photos because we just kept forgetting to sort through them all. Plus, it only takes one stalker before you realize how dangerous sharing your daily routine too often can be.
  • AminUK
    AminUK Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm only actively sharing with a Whatsapp group of the members of my family who also want to lose weight and tone up. We've only been doing it for two weeks and we haven't posted selfies, but that may change when we see visible results!

But as to sharing the results more widely, I can't imagine anything worse. I don't want to see someone else's pecs and biceps (or gluteus maximus) and I'm *fairly* sure nobody really wants to see mine (including me!) .

I left Facebook some time ago because I was bored with how often people shared the vital news of what they'd had for breakfast. Frankly, my dear, I didn't give a damn.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    saragd012 wrote: »
    I don't actually understand why people get upset about what other people post, baring total nudity or overt violence/racism/sexism/hateful content. If I'm following someone on social media it's because I care about them in some way; so I want to see their babies, pets, accomplishments, etc. If I didn't care to see those things I wouldn't follow them and the problem would solve itself. If it makes you feel good to share, I don't see any reason not to. If your friends are bothered it they can deal with it on their end. Unfollowing someone but remaining "friends" on sites like FB always amuses me though, to me it screams "I don't care about your life, but I want you to still see me!"

That being said, I don't post my workouts or my progress on social media. 90% of my friends are not at all interested in fitness, so I doubt they'd be excited about those updates, but also I just don't share much there in general. Heck, it took us a year to share our wedding photos because we just kept forgetting to sort through them all. Plus, it only takes one stalker before you realize how dangerous sharing your daily routine too often can be.

I have relatives that I have unfollowed but not unfriended. It would not do for them to know that I am disgusted with how god-bothered, racist, homophobic, politically conservative and generally unenlightened they are so I have them as friends but never, ever look at or respond to the awful and/or delusional stuff they post. I'm pretty sure they all think I'm a secretly queer, satan-worshipping, communist terrorist based on the things I post and have unfollowed me too anyway.

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    saragd012 wrote: »

I have relatives that I have unfollowed but not unfriended. It would not do for them to know that I am disgusted with how god-bothered, racist, homophobic, politically conservative and generally unenlightened they are so I have them as friends but never, ever look at or respond to the awful and/or delusional stuff they post. I'm pretty sure they all think I'm a secretly queer, satan-worshipping, communist terrorist based on the things I post and have unfollowed me too anyway.

That's fair I suppose. :D Fortunately my hateful family members started dropping off my friends lists when I started responding to their hateful posts with things like, "you understand this applies to me right? How could you say such hurtful things about your niece/cousin, especially in such a public way?" But I do have 2 family members on my wife's side whom I cant really confront so I just roll my eyes at their posts and scroll on. I totally understand how exhausting that could be if it were a large amount of them, and my original comment was pretty judgey.
  • Skee_2802
    Skee_2802 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Accountability works differently for everyone I guess.
    Posting to social media daily about my goals, progress pics, achievements etc for likes, shares, comments never appealed to me as a way to hold myself accountable - Can definitely appreciate how it can for others and to each thier own. Theres more than 1 way to skin a cat and kudos to those who do.

I just figure at the end of the day these friends, family etc on social media that like, share, comment are not the ones putting in the hard work day in, day out. If I dont hit that workout or end up having that extra 2, ok maybe 6 slices of pizza lol - That's on me!

Friends and family dont come into the accountability equation for me.

Set goals - smash the crap out of them - clap for myself is my idea of accountability.

Mfp is great source for surrounding yourself with like minded fitness focused folks! Good luck on what works for you!
  • sharonedix
    sharonedix Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Smiling ,good morning..I needed to gain weight put on muscle. I have and in my two year journey of lifting weights daily except Sundays I have grown to understand that others begin to feel as if they can't measure up . So I only let my actions and body point the way . Your doing great consider this woman as a lifting friend Prophetess Sharon