Cooking Challenge: Spaghetti Squash

Options
13»

Replies

• AlyAnt26
    AlyAnt26 Posts: 58
    Options
    Bump - LOVE Spaghetti Squash! They now serve it @ Ruby Tuesdays! :)
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bump, i love spaghetti squash and have been looking for new recipes. thanks!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Get your last minutes votes in! I missed the deadline, but I'll close it tomorrow morning!
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump and yum!
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    Bump! I have some growing in the yard :)
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I also had a hard time cutting these, and then I read somewhere that you can soften them up a bit in the microwave first. Be SURE to poke a lot of holes in the squash first (or I just slice off the top) and then soften it for 2-3 minutes...not too much or it will be too hot to cut. This worked well for me and made cutting the squash a lot easier.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to tabithon for winning the cooking challenge with her spaghetti squash taco meat! How innovative!

The current challenge is for yellow squash. Go enter it!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310444-cooking-challenge-yellow-squash?page=1#posts-4153653
  • leyna6388
    Options
    bump
  • Autumn15
    Options
    i love spaghetti squash!! It is a perfect way to eat "carbs" without all the calories!

Here's one to get you started:

NAME OF RECIPE: Spaghetti Squash "Taco" Meat:
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 Spaghetti Squash
    1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
    1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
    7-10 jalapenos (or other chilies) - I like really spicy food, so you can tone down depending on your tastes
    1 red onion, diced
    1 package taco seasoning mix
    3 cloves garlic, minced (I use one whole bulb, but I like garlic!)

DIRECTIONS:
    Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds
    Place cut side down on a baking dish and cook 30 min at 350 or until squash is tender
    separate strands with a fork
    In a pan, cook bell pepper, jalapenos, onion, and garlic together until onions are no longer firm (the juices from the bell pepper will act as the cooking medium, so you don't need olive oil, but you can add, if it makes you feel better!)
    Add squash strands and cook for 5 mins
    Follow directions on the back of the taco seasoning packet and add to the "meat" mixture
    *Note, be careful on the water, I used about 3/4 of what it says on the back of the package)
    Allow to cool and serve on either taco shells, tortilla shells, or great just by itself
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 45 (not including your shell)
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 8
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I'm not a vegetarian, but I love this, and I eat it all the time!! I make a bunch and freeze it into individual servings so I can thaw it out and eat whenever.

I hope that you guys enjoy this! I highly suggest spaghetti squash if you have never tried it. Spaghetti squash is also a great substitute for pasta, and I eat it regularly as fettuchini (spelling?) alfredo.

Happy eating!

That sounds soo good- I will have to try it!

What a great idea...so going to ahve to try this one!! Thanks