When do other people notice your results?

Options
2»

Replies

• tidworth1972
    Options
    I lost 20lbs this year (6lbs in 2 months since using MFP), I got my first couple of comments at work last week, which made me feel pretty good :) so for me, it took about 12 months
  • laitae
    laitae Posts: 50
    Options
    I think what I find frustrating, rather than people not noticing, is when I'm being careful with what I'm eating (checking calorie content etc) and their response is "oh you're still dieting then" WTF?!!! Its not a diet it's change in lifestyle!

Oh, that must be frustrating! I think these comments are usually made by people who really don't care about what they eat, this why they don't understand.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I found that my colleagues started to comment on it after I lost about a stone.
  • laitae
    laitae Posts: 50
    Options
    I found that my colleagues started to comment on it after I lost about a stone.

Thanks for your comment, I guess it usually happens then:-)
  • ShaunHensley
    Options
    about 25-30 for me.
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find people who see me every day didn't notice so much (because of the gradual change) until I hit 20lbs - now my boyfriend and family comment almost everyday!

Friends who I see less frequently were saying nice things after around 14lbs :)
  • hhan
    hhan Posts: 74
    Options
    That is the problem with losing weight, your clothes start look weird on you. However, if you are constantly losing weight, there seems to be no point to change up the whole closet as you will be losing more soon.

Believe me there is definitely a point.

I was lucky and found an excellent sale so bought clothes both one and two sizes down. I was afraid that going any lower would be a waste but as it turns out I have dropped 5 sizes. Fortunately my favourite clothing store had a national clearance sale in my local town where every store sent there unsold stock and they sold most items for at or under $5. I've had new clothes for each size and they made me feel terrific. I got more and more fitted items and people couldn't help but notice then.

As far as I'm concerned you should be rewarding your efforts and allowing yourself to look the best you can. Baggy clothes just scream "don't care", however if you are going to the effort of losing weight then clearly you do care.
  • Catrinaxoxo
    Options
    20 pounds and still nothing, I just tell myself that I am doing it for me. Even my doctor didn't even seem to care.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I think maybe they don't say anything because its like saying "man you used to be so fat before but you look great now"

I agree, and people actually complain on MFP about compliments like that, so basically you just can't win! It also depends how big you are to start. Someone who has 100 pounds total to lose won't look much different 15 pounds down. I have 30 to lose total, and people started commenting at 15 pounds down. Also, once I got rid of my ill-fitting baggy pants and went down a size, people took more notice.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think people are very careful nowadays in my work place about commenting on weight. People are even more delicate around me because they know I battled cancer a few years ago and don't know whether the weight loss is a result of something I'm not saying (Hah, I'm healthier than I've ever been). That said, at about the 15 lb loss point this year (over 55 in five years), I started getting a lot more compliments about my hair (though I was bald for a while), my clothes, queries about whether I got new glasses, etc. I'm seeing my 82 year old mom for the first time in two years next week (she lives far away), she never was happy about my body. I wonder if she'll notice.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think it might depend on your height and body type - where you carry the weight. I don't even change pants sizes until I've lost or gained about 25-30 pounds, so it's not really that noticeable on me for a while. I have a friend who is short (compared to my 5'10"), who looks like they've lost a lot after 10 pounds.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My cousin's mother in law was the first to notice. I was in shock that someone actually asked me if I had lost weight. When I said yes a little her response was "you've lost more than a little" That made my day!

Now its my co-workers. My family notices but don't say anything.