how many calories do u burn in an hour gym session?

Options
So I know that the calorie burn isn't everything, and weights are even more important etc etc.
But for those who are looking to burn calories, how many do u burn on average in an hour? I just started going back to gym after quite a long hiatus and am fairly unfit although I am hoping my body will start "remembering" how to gym.
Thanks,

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Depends on many different things your stats/the effort you're putting in/your level of fitness.

If you are using MFP to determine calorie burn just add your exercise from the database as close to what you are doing, it's a good idea to start at eating back around 50% and then adjust accordingly after a few weeks when you can see your actual loss/maintenance against your expected goal loss per week.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Depends on many factors - age, gender, weight, height, activity. If you want to know the best way is to use a heart rate monitor with chest strap and only for cardio. Cardio machines can be off significantly.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    yes I wear a fitbit. I burnt 400 yesterday in an hour. I did 2 lots of 15 minutes on cardio and the rest on weights/calisthenics. I was wondering what is considered normal for other people, not myself.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    LernRach wrote: »
    So I know that the calorie burn isn't everything, and weights are even more important etc etc.
    But for those who are looking to burn calories, how many do u burn on average in an hour? I just started going back to gym after quite a long hiatus and am fairly unfit although I am hoping my body will start "remembering" how to gym.
    Thanks,

There's really no way to answer this in general terms. It will depend on gender, weight, aerobic fitness level, type of exercise - the list goes on. If you're asking how many calories you specifically would burn, the estimate is easier or harder to come by depending on the activity. There are fairly standard calculations available for running and walking, and you can google sites where you input your stats and get a number you can use as a starting point. You can also google sites that let you input your stats and calculate calories for many different activities.

If you're using MFP you can input your exercise info into your diary and get a rough estimate from the database, which you would adjust depending on how well it matches your actual weight loss.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    yes I wear a fitbit. I burnt 400 yesterday in an hour. I did 2 lots of 15 minutes on cardio and the rest on weights/calisthenics. I was wondering what is considered normal for other people, not myself.

Wouldn't trust the fitbit since it is supposed to monitor steps, but moving the arms will also alter the step/calorie count. Doubtful you expended 400 calories on 30 minutes of cardio activity. Weight/resistance activity doesn't burn that many calories, but is good for building muscle which helps to burn more calories throughout the day.
  • LernRach
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Thanks,

There's really no way to answer this in general terms. It will depend on gender, weight, aerobic fitness level, type of exercise - the list goes on. If you're asking how many calories you specifically would burn, the estimate is easier or harder to come by depending on the activity. There are fairly standard calculations available for running and walking, and you can google sites where you input your stats and get a number you can use as a starting point. You can also google sites that let you input your stats and calculate calories for many different activities.

If you're using MFP you can input your exercise info into your diary and get a rough estimate from the database, which you would adjust depending on how well it matches your actual weight loss.

It automatically adjusts according to my fitbit which has a heart rate on it so it is going according to that
  • mph323
    Options
    Thanks,

It automatically adjusts according to my fitbit which has a heart rate on it so it is going according to that

OK, I would go with @tinkerbellang83 's advice. I wear a fitbit too and use it for everything that involves steps. Things like stationary cycling I enter from the MFP database, and at the moment I'm eating back half my exercise calories and that seems to be working for me.
  • LernRach
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Thanks,

But why do you think heartrate is an accurate way to estimate calories?
    The number of times you heart beats doesn't directly translate to energy.

I could tell you with some accuracy what my maximal effort on a power meter equipped indoor bike trainer (763 net calories) but unless you are a cyclist and generate the same power as me does it really help you?

There's going to be a huge range depending on the person (size/strength/fitness) and what they do in the gym plus the intensity at which they exercise.

Most people also really won't have an accurate idea of their actual calorie burns unless they are doing a fairly limited selection of exercise where estimation is somewhat reliable. You will most likely get a load of unsubstantiated guesswork or maybe estimates based on unsuitable tools so not sure what value you will get from responses?

You might get a better idea of your capabilities if you looked at the estimated METS of different exercises perhaps?

The reason i was asking the question was not because I would take on their calorie burn or anything like that. I was interested in how "hard people work" type of question. What is considered normal. ( I realise I am going to get a host of answers saying, there is no normal, everyone is different height size and shape.)
    Using any way of measuring, what is considered average?
    And there must be an average somewhere... Most people in my gym are wearing a device of sorts that is calculating this.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I row at a rate of about 660-700 cals/hr.

However, I do not row a full hr in a,single session. My normal routine involves rowing 4 intervals of 2500m in 12.5 mins with 5-15 min rest periods in between, which burns about 550 cals in 50 mins of actual rowing activity over a period of about 1.5 hrs.

This is a relatively easy level of activity for me which makes me break a sweat and challenges me a bit but does not exhaust me. For others, it may be either too easy or too difficult depending on their level of fitness but it works well for me.

• mph323
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Thanks,

But why do you think heartrate is an accurate way to estimate calories?
    The number of times you heart beats doesn't directly translate to energy.

I could tell you with some accuracy what my maximal effort on a power meter equipped indoor bike trainer (763 net calories) but unless you are a cyclist and generate the same power as me does it really help you?

There's going to be a huge range depending on the person (size/strength/fitness) and what they do in the gym plus the intensity at which they exercise.

Most people also really won't have an accurate idea of their actual calorie burns unless they are doing a fairly limited selection of exercise where estimation is somewhat reliable. You will most likely get a load of unsubstantiated guesswork or maybe estimates based on unsuitable tools so not sure what value you will get from responses?

You might get a better idea of your capabilities if you looked at the estimated METS of different exercises perhaps?

The reason i was asking the question was not because I would take on their calorie burn or anything like that. I was interested in how "hard people work" type of question. What is considered normal. ( I realise I am going to get a host of answers saying, there is no normal, everyone is different height size and shape.)
    Using any way of measuring, what is considered average?
    And there must be an average somewhere... Most people in my gym are wearing a device of sorts that is calculating this.

But there isn't any "normal". There just isn't an answer to your question. People can tell you how they estimate exercise calories, what devices they use and what strategies, how many they personally burn for specific activities.

I can tell you my goal is to burn about 500 calories a day in exercise, and that I burn so many calories running, a different number cycling and so on for each different activity, but that's just normal for me and no one else. There's no study I can imagine that takes a general population and looks at how many calories each person expends each time they go to the gym, then looks at the results and calculates a "normal" range. How would you even go about setting up the structure?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options

That is a general conditioning/cardio type class.
    I have taken a variety of different classes, logged them individually, then with enough data averaged the burn out.

Now I just give myself 200 cals for an hour doing whatever.

Walking is about 100cals an hour

Lifting 140 cals an hour.

Never used a device, prefer using my own data over time. (Well, I borrowed a Fitbit for a month, it under fed me, I gave it back)

I'm not an athlete so don't need exacting data.

The method I use will have worked for me for a decade, losing and maintaining, come the new year, not going to change it now.

Those numbers are useless unless one knows my stats.

Cheers, h.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My typical session at the gym is 45 minutes of running on the treadmill and 15 minutes of weights. Most of the calories burned are from the running. I usually burn about 500 total.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I weight train at the gym and I don't think it's much, less than 100 calories based on my experimenting. I log it in MFP as 1 hour weight training under cardio and it gives me 94 calories. My 2 x a week walk burns more like 200 calories.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My “normal” for an hour is anywhere from 100 to 500 or so (if I run for an hour). Any number in between those would be “normal” for me depending on what I’m doing. I don’t have an average. It depends what I’m doing, how intensely, for how long, etc. I weigh ~160 lbs. I burned more doing the same things when I weighed more.

My Training program also includes a wide variety of exercises, methods, durations, intensities and each is totally “normal” and not a reflection of how hard I’m working. Today I will run 12-ish miles and then do yoga. The yoga will burn about 1/10th the calories of the run but it’s just as critical to my overall program (recovery and flexibility, etc.). Tomorrow I might do HIIT-which is the hardest of all but quite low on the calorie burn scale. Or weightlifting-which burns few calories but is also a critical piece of my training program and overall health.

Even within the scope of a single person at a single weight-there is no “normal” and calories burned isn’t generally the best metric for determining the quality of a workout.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I burn 250-300cal everyday for an hour on the treadmill - a bit of running and mostly walking on high elevation (I hike in nature so I'm working on my stamina when the weather is wet. Which is most of the time in the UK...) During running my rate is 550cal per hour, but I can't run for an hour.

For strength training I log 50cal per half hour because I work at low intensity.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    not enough ;)

i give myself 50.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    150 calories/hour for lifting (following a power/hypertrophy program). At the moment it takes me 1.5 hours to complete it so 225 total on lifting days.

For cardio, I usually use my elliptical for 30 minutes giving me around 250 calories.

I don't use any devices and base these numbers on 5 years of data while losing, maintaining, and a couple bulk/cut cycles while eating 100% of my exercise calories.

I'm 5'3, 124 lbs and 44 years old.

I also agree with not using a device for lifting or intervals. It's just not what it is designed for.
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 6 in. 130 lbs. I use a fitbit that says I burn about 200 calories per hour while riding full blast on my bicycle. I also have a app on my phone to track my ride. It says I burn about 400 calories per hour. I believe the fit bit simply because my weight does not drop when compared to calories in. I also have a friend that posts 800 calorie or more burns. When I look at the low amount of calories she eats, that burn is just not possible. She would be dead by now. Over time, you should be able to tell if your burn is off.