I have fallen and I can't get up...

Options
Everyonelies
Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
edited August 2018 in Motivation and Support
I had been steadily going to the gym and counting calories since October 2017. Weight was coming down, body was getting tighter, things were looking good.

Mid-March I got in contact with an old crush and things started to move forward. We started dating and even though I didn't completely stop going to the gym...eating habits did change. Little by little I was missing more days from the gym until mid-May when I stopped going all together.

Things didn't end well and the month of June was a bad month...emotional mainly(more anger than sadness). I made it to the gym a handful of times, but nothing serious.

July I had a trip to Mexico and again, gym hand full of times.

August I had visitors from out of town. Eating habits out the window and no gym time.

This month I also found out H. Pylori. It came up on a yearly blood test I do at work. I didn't really have any of the symptoms people talk about, especially the pain, but I did notice I felt more bloated, was burping more, and using the bathroom was not the same. I blamed it all on my bad eating habits...but I was wrong. I am on day 5 of antibiotics, and don't notice a positive difference. From the moment I took the blood test(I had to enter my weight when I went for my blood draws) , to a week later when I went back to work, I had gained 9 lbs. Granted, I have not been eating my best...but 9lbs? I am also feeling a lot hungrier. I don't know if to blame it on the H.Pylori or me PMS-ing. I am tired as hell (Vitamin D was low as well) and I miss my routine SO much!

Antibiotics are being taken, emotions are a bit under control, visitors are leaving today. I am hoping to get back on track starting this week. Hoping to clear the bacteria. Hoping to feel better.

Just hoping...

Replies

• Everyonelies
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Fall seven times, stand up eight ~ Japanese Proverb

Keep going. It will get better.

Best of luck.

Thank you! I know it can be done, it's the starting over again that seems more difficult right now...but I will get up again!
  • Everyonelies
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hurry between now and thanksgiving. After that it will be madness in the holiday season.

Exactly! I get a week off from work for the holiday season...throws me off my routine as well...especially because i go to the gym in the morning before work...
  • corporatelawmom
    corporatelawmom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I was on the right track at the beginning of the summer, but got out of my usual routine. I'm trying to get back to where I was before the holiday craziness hits. We can do this!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    here is the upside. YOU KNOW. :)<3
  • RSr09
    RSr09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can do it one decision at a time. I try to follow 80/20 rule
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    chrir2580 wrote: »

what's that?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    just do today...go to the gym today...eat healthier today...if you just do today, everything else will come together
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    While you are on antibiotics or soon after you finish them you may find it helps to take some prebiotics to replace and support your digestive microbes which have been displaced by the H-pylori or removed along with it by the antibiotics. I think there are several possible products on the market. These things have helped me in the past, a simple search should give you a better idea what to look for. Also if your endocrine system is under par for yourself this can tilt things to encourage H-pylori. If you can work on getting your vit d up to better levels too you will feel much better in yourself. All the best you will soon be back on good form. Then take it, one day at a time, they will build up into renewed good habits.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate. My parents came up to visit for a week recently, so of course I took the time off to spend it all with them. I ate like garbage. I drank like garbage. I quit walking. ...and now I cannot get back into the routine I had going on. I keep trying to tell myself 'tomorrow is that fresh start', but my depression has been getting really bad again, so I have zero motivation.

We can do this together, though! Don't get hung up on what happened - focus on what is going to happen. :)
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options

what's that?

80/20 rule can be used as a guideline in balancing calories, 80% of calories from healthy, nutritious foods and 20% from "treats".
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    While you are on antibiotics or soon after you finish them you may find it helps to take some prebiotics to replace and support your digestive microbes which have been displaced by the H-pylori or removed along with it by the antibiotics. I think there are several possible products on the market. These things have helped me in the past, a simple search should give you a better idea what to look for. Also if your endocrine system is under par for yourself this can tilt things to encourage H-pylori. If you can work on getting your vit d up to better levels too you will feel much better in yourself. All the best you will soon be back on good form. Then take it, one day at a time, they will build up into renewed good habits.

Yes, I read about the probiotics, will look into them. Did you have any side effects to the antibiotics?
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    anl90 wrote: »
    I can completely relate. My parents came up to visit for a week recently, so of course I took the time off to spend it all with them. I ate like garbage. I drank like garbage. I quit walking. ...and now I cannot get back into the routine I had going on. I keep trying to tell myself 'tomorrow is that fresh start', but my depression has been getting really bad again, so I have zero motivation.

We can do this together, though! Don't get hung up on what happened - focus on what is going to happen. :)

Yes, that is exactly how I feel! I WANT to get back on my routine, but I feel like my body isn't cooperating. I know I have to do it...and I know I will...it just takes that one day to get back to the gym...

We got this!! ;-)
  • Everyonelies
    Options

what's that?

80/20 rule can be used as a guideline in balancing calories, 80% of calories from healthy, nutritious foods and 20% from "treats".

Ahhhh...got it, thanks! :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyonelies - I first used antibiotics as a child for tonsillitis, so I very much did as I was told, because it was good for me, this was back in the 1950's. With continued throat problems my antibiotic consumption continued on and off over years. It was when I hit my 30/40's I developed all sorts of irritating issues not least not being able to eat certain foods and reacting to normal everyday chemicals like laundry residue and the glue my kids used for their plastic kits! I've not looked back since I first started using digestive microbes.

There is a seldom considered link between tonsillitis - poor lymphatic function and our endocrine system. We are complex beings and no two people will have the same responses though there can be similarities/overlaps. Eventually I started working with a BANT registered Nutritionist here in the UK.

I needed to do quite a bit of research to discover a product which did not contain, salicylate - plant defence mechanism against moulds and mildews, as well as something which would not increase my natural production of histamines, I was in a very sorry state. I know when I used my first pack, ones designed to take with or after antibiotics, I felt so much more comfortable generally. (By that time I'd not used antibiotics for years). I've gone on to use these microbes and others in the histamine safe range on and off over the last 2 years, to keep my levels stronger, things are so much easier. Its virtually impossible to overdose in these beneficial microbes, it would be expensive to even try.

The company I've turned to say some of us may benefit from using more than one product in tandem where the microbes are different for different situation which personally apply, for instance ones for immunity, travel, women's health, there are more combinations possible. I recollect there are some to combat the over production of cholesterol. To pick up on the women's health product, so many of us have or have had repeated outbreaks of "thrush" in various places, its well worth giving such a product a try, doing so will probably improve one's well being. (I rely on products which do not require refrigeration, some do some do not)

There have been mutterings over here about the damage use and over use of/reliance on antibiotics can do to a persons microbiome and more for a long time. Now international over use is being shown to change detrimental microbes themselves causing antibiotic resistance in some.

I know there are many on here who decry those of us who promote the use of these supplements, always using the woo button when they see anything I write, which is fine, I really hope they never develop issues similar to mine. There is increasing discussion over here on the topic of our microbiome and the extent to which it helps or hinders, if compromised, our health and lack of it. (I was told by an eminent Professor in Immunology, that I and people like me have issues at the edge of medical understanding, heartening and dispiriting at one in the same time)

I have an interest in all things naturally scientific, nurtured by our British, free to air, science orientated media output about the natural world, mental health and general health/medicine, even one called "the Food programme" and the talk is often of our digestive microbes and their influence over our bodies. It was from one programme about the natural world, I understood how and why I reacted to salicylate.

Now in the last year or so this information on the microbiome is being picked up in some of our Universities and Medical Schools, as interests. Things in medicine may be changing here though it will be some time before the impacts of our digestive biome is fully understood. One day NICE which says what is good practice for us through the NHS, will not be on the back foot. Digestive Microbes are a large and growing sphere of reference.

Mostly, do your own reading, Do what is right for You, no one else matters when it comes to becoming and staying healthy.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just a comment on H pylori. I went through the antibiotics for it too and didn't notice a change in appetite or weight but sure felt so much better after I finished the drugs. The drugs were horrible though. I would get a terrible metalic bitter taste in my mouth that woke me up at night. If you are suffering from that as well are you drinking more calories in juice or soda? If so maybe try some low calorie drinks to see if that helps. Either way the antibiotics aren't forever so once it gets cleared up you will for sure be back on track.
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    Just a comment on H pylori. I went through the antibiotics for it too and didn't notice a change in appetite or weight but sure felt so much better after I finished the drugs. The drugs were horrible though. I would get a terrible metalic bitter taste in my mouth that woke me up at night. If you are suffering from that as well are you drinking more calories in juice or soda? If so maybe try some low calorie drinks to see if that helps. Either way the antibiotics aren't forever so once it gets cleared up you will for sure be back on track.

Well, I take 4 pills, twice a day, and they don't bother me...at all. No weird taste, no upset stomach, nothing. I still feel bloated...and recently, super hungry...but nothing horrible or painful. I just don't see an improvement in my bloating...although, I am on day 5/6 of the meds...
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Give the meds a chance to work. If you complete the course of antibiotics and don't see any noticeable difference with the bloating, you might want to check in with a gynecologist.
  • birdiebon
    birdiebon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The 80/20 rule is a great one to follow in many areas of life! Thanks for reminding me of it again :)