what is the absolute worst "food" you've ever tasted?

Options

Replies

• Tailea
    Tailea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    MEATLOAF!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I remember once when I was 4 or 5, my mom told me I had to eat my meatloaf or I wouldn't get any brownies. I sat at the kitchen table for what felt like hours CRYING because I would not touch the meatloaf but really wanted the brownie. :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    MisoSoup - Both of your stories have literally almost made me sick!

I guess one of the worst things I've eaten was prepared by my dad. haha. I *thought* he was making a peanut butter and banana sandwich one day and said, "Oh dad, will you make me one?" He said sure and then brought my plate over to me. I bit into it and it was...MAYONAISE AND BANANA! I did chew. I just spit it on my plate. It's one thing to eat something thinking that it's something else....but mayonaise and banana. That is disgusting! I hate mayo anyway. When I make chicken salad, I have a hard time putting the mayo in....

Banana and mayo sandwich? That's like a staple of the south!
    People think I'm odd because I eat banana, peanut butter and mayo sandwiches. (My aunt made them for me growing up.)
    But I like mayo... as seen in my waist, hips, and thunder thighs. :smile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Hominy!! I can't even stand the smell of that stuff. :sick: :tongue:
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    MEATLOAF!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I remember once when I was 4 or 5, my mom told me I had to eat my meatloaf or I wouldn't get any brownies. I sat at the kitchen table for what felt like hours CRYING because I would not touch the meatloaf but really wanted the brownie. :laugh:

You know, I hate meatloaf too. I try it all the time at different places, made by different people. And always I get kind of grossed out. I don't think meat should be made into a "loaf." I used to cry on meatloaf night all the time. Eventually my mom gave up on forcing me and made me a PB&J sandwich instead!
  • beagle595
    Options
    My Father is Sicilian and his family going thru the depression ate tons of Tripe (cow's lining of stomach-served many ways). It was very inexpensive... It's like chewing on rubber bands... But the smell of it cooking is enough to make you vomit. Hey... I should make it so it will turn my appetite off for at least 3 day. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    My husband just walked in and ate an earth worm on a dare... I wish I would have known this before I married him...:noway:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I'm a fan of trying new things, especially abroad. I love to hear what people think is the worst tasting thing they have ever eaten!

I'll go first.

An Icelandic delicacy is fermented shark fin. They cut the fin off the shark and let it ferment for days. They cut it into itty bitty pieces and serve it on toothpicks. It is traditionally chased with Icelandic Schnapps. This was by far the worst tasting "food" I've ever tried! When it hit my tongue, I couldn't bring myself to chew it even once - I swallowed it and chased it with the Schnapps. Four hours later I burped fermented shark fin and thought I was going to die! :sick:

Served with Black Death shots, right?!? A coworker was just telling me about this the other day and how disgusted he was by the shark and Black Death.

I saw this on bizzare foods, they say the shark is poisonous because of some acid or something so they let it ferment! I'm like apparently that shark is NOT ment to be eaten!

Yeah, I have to agree... NOT meant to be eaten! But kind of like the Japanese eating live octopus as a show of what, "manliness" or machismo, I guess consuming fermented shark fin kind of earns you a degree of respect - and especially as a foreigner who is completely disgusted by the smell of the tiny little pieces from 20 feet away.

I say I'll try anything once. Anything, that is accepted as "food" by a culture and deemed safe to eat. However, I would never bring myself to try dog on purpose. If I ate it not knowing what it was, that would be another story.

I have tried other odd dishes, like blood sausage, beef hearts, various livers and kidneys (none of which I enjoyed) and others I've forgotten about. I liked the blood sausage and I loved lard when I finally tried it. There are plenty of everyday foods I won't touch, like baked beans... any kind of beans really (esp. lima beans!). The texture of beans makes me feel so sick. I can't eat crustaceans because the meat sort of "bounces" around in my mouth... also making me feel ill. Tapioca pudding? Forget about it.

I love baked beans!!! Tapioca BLAH!!!:sick: :sick: I've tried blood sausage, not a really winner to me it's okay, ever tried head cheese? Yuck!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever heard of mountain oysters? :laugh:

Never had them, but seen them fried and eaten. :sick:
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    tuna casserole MRE:sick:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the name of it, but it is a drink that is made by floating a living fungus in the water. so it is basically a fungus "tea". My parents had a big pitcher of this stuff in their fridge (sans fungus floater), and I poured a big glass, thinking it was apple juice (had the right color), but when I took the first big gulp, it was like liquid mold. Gag:sick: I'm still mad at my mother for that one.

and another story to send y'all over the edge:

we had chickens when I was young, and one of them was my favorite pet. her name was arlene, she would let me hold her and pet her, she was all white and pretty like the chickens in cartoons. well we'd had her for a long time, and she was getting old and blind. cut to the dining room table: I am trying to eat a chicken leg, which I cannot bite because it is so tough. I start to cry, and my mother asks "what's wrong?" I tell her, I can't bite this chicken, it's too hard! and she tells me, "that's okay, she was blind, too". yes, thats right, my mother made me eat my own pet chicken.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    Yeah, tripe is nasty.

How about the smell of canned oysters being heated in the microwave? Talk about stomach churning! My mother's favorite indulgence was warm canned oysters on nachos.... :sick: :sick: I usually had to leave the house because I could not get away from the smell.

I tried an oyster once. I have never eaten boogers, but I imagine that was the closest thing possible to what the oyster tasted/felt like! Giant slimy boogers. :sick:
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    tuna casserole MRE:sick:

Um.. yeah... I can't stand the "Country Captain Chicken" MRE or the old Omelet MRE (they stopped making that one a long time ago!) MRE bread is nasty.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    A cooked pig on the spike with the apple in it's mouth. Full animal. Head and all.
    The caterers took my plate, carved off the side of this animal in front of me, handed me my plate of meat back.
    (This was a rehearsal dinner for a wedding, btw.)

I became a vegetarian for about 3 years after that.
    Still don't eat a lot of meat these days.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I can't remember the name of it, but it is a drink that is made by floating a living fungus in the water. so it is basically a fungus "tea". My parents had a big pitcher of this stuff in their fridge (sans fungus floater), and I poured a big glass, thinking it was apple juice (had the right color), but when I took the first big gulp, it was like liquid mold. Gag:sick: I'm still mad at my mother for that one.

we had chickens when I was young, and one of them was my favorite pet. her name was arlene, she would let me hold her and pet her, she was all white and pretty like the chickens in cartoons. well we'd had her for a long time, and she was getting old and blind. cut to the dining room table: I am trying to eat a chicken leg, which I cannot bite because it is so tough. I start to cry, and my mother asks "what's wrong?" I tell her, I can't bite this chicken, it's too hard! and she tells me, "that's okay, she was blind, too". yes, thats right, my mother made me eat my own pet chicken.

oh... now that's really sad and really kind of funny at the same time. Sorry. :sad: :laugh: :sad:
  • sarabear
    Options

I tried them as a kid, no knowing what they were! I didn't find out till I was an adult what they were, I remember liking them, but don't think I could eat them now!:sick:
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    A cooked pig on the spike with the apple in it's mouth. Full animal. Head and all.
    The caterers took my plate, carved off the side of this animal in front of me, handed me my plate of meat back.

OMG... There is a festival in a town called Wittlich in Germany. It's called the Pig Fest. And they roast whole pigs on a spit for 3 days prior to the start of the festival. While it was disturbing to me to still see the heads attached, I have to admit, it was the best tasting tender pork I've ever eaten in my life... I don't mean to be cruel, but I feel certain animals were meant to be eaten and I do enjoy them. I just wish our methods of raising and killing these animals was more humane. :cry:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

OMG, I would have a hard time ever eating chicken again. :cry:

I dont eat any pork products. And 'organs' (kidneys liver heart etc) make me gag. I really shouldnt have read this right before lunch...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

oh... now that's really sad and really kind of funny at the same time. Sorry. :sad: :laugh: :sad:

yeah, my mom is like that. when I bring it up, she just gets this ashamed look, then she bursts out laughing. :grumble:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

OMG... There is a festival in a town called Wittlich in Germany. It's called the Pig Fest. And they roast whole pigs on a spit for 3 days prior to the start of the festival. While it was disturbing to me to still see the heads attached, I have to admit, it was the best tasting tender pork I've ever eaten in my life... I don't mean to be cruel, but I feel certain animals were meant to be eaten and I do enjoy them. I just wish our methods of raising and killing these animals was more humane. :cry:

I have no problem with raising animals for slaughter. I wish they would knock them all unconscious via chemicals first or a good stun or SOMETHING so they don't feel it, but that is another story. I'm completely cool with raising farm animals for meats.

But I was totally grossed out by SEEING THEM CARVE THAT ANIMAL. It was barbaric.

That said, I still eat pulled pork but if I EVER saw the pig it came from, I would revert back to being unable to eat it.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

I have and I'd never eat them! :noway:
  • sarabear
    Options

I have no problem with raising animals for slaughter. I wish they would knock them all unconscious via chemicals first or a good stun or SOMETHING so they don't feel it, but that is another story. I'm completely cool with raising farm animals for meats.

But I was totally grossed out by SEEING THEM CARVE THAT ANIMAL. It was barbaric.

That said, I still eat pulled pork but if I EVER saw the pig it came from, I would revert back to being unable to eat it.

Okay wierd question, not trying to sound wierd or mean, but what about whole roasted turkey or chicken? Same prob? I can't stand seeing a turkey, don't know why, I love roasted turkey, but just the thought of it with the feathers makes me gag!