Caloric Intake, Hunger, "Starvation Mode" and Keto

Options
2»

Replies

• PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Another vote for food scales, which are indeed less cleanup, but will make you sad when you realize just how small a T of peanut butter actually is. :'(

I found measuring cups really stressful - I never knew how tightly to pack things down. I still use them for sugar, but not anything that is fluffy or unevenly shaped. Actually, sugar is probably the only thing I still use cups for.

I started using the scale yesterday afternoon; I haven’t weighed peanut butter yet. But everything I did weigh out, was actually more than I’d been giving myself. I was surprised at how many almonds was actually 28g, compared to the palm-sized portion I had been doling out! I’m a little neurotic at times, so weighing stuff will be fun for a while!
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm in starvation mode. I'm actually questioning if it's even a thing, especially for those of us who have a buttload of extra stored energy for the body to burn.

My carbs come completely from vegetables, of which I'm a fan; and generally, I am above the 1200kcal for the day.... but I'm almost never anywhere close to the supposed "goal". I just don't see the point of eating to that number, if I'm not hungry. Am I wrong?

*My diary is open, if anyone is interested in taking a look. I have my macros set to 60/30/10 Fat/Protein/Carb. They were set to 70/20/10, but my metabolic MD suggested the present ratio.

Measuring in cups and spoons is where you are likely going wrong, you're eating more than you think. Things like Peanut Butter measure as tbsp can be completely out, when you're eating a higher fat diet you've less wiggle room (Fat is 9 cals per gram as opposed to 4 cals per gram for Protein or Carbs) get yourself a food scale if you want to truly determine how much you're eating:

sx0ky3iugym0.jpg

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

This exactly! You will be amazed at what a serving REALLY is once you get a food scale.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

This exactly! You will be amazed at what a serving REALLY is once you get a food scale.

We have one so out of curiosity, I’ve started using it; and you’re right, it IS amazing! Interestingly enough, I’ve actually been underestimating my proportions! Like I said in a previous post, I was surprised how many almonds actually made up 28 grams. Weighing will definitely keep me interested for a while, even if I’ve been pretty on point.

I get the feeling my post was a little misleading- I’m not struggling with anything- I’m not stalling, wondering why I’m not losing (because I am losing) but just had some thoughts and wanted to throw them out there. Regardless, I’m glad for whatever new information comes my way!