Excessive Beans

Options
So for the past couple of months I've discovered that my diet quite literally revolves around nothing but eggs, rice, (baked) beans and protein bars.

Just today I've eaten 2 eggs, 3 cans of beans, 2 protein bars and the day is not even over (Still have ~800 calories left with all the cardio I've been doing recently).

Just curious if anyone has any insight as to whether this may cause issues anywhere down the line due to excess protein/fiber. etc

Replies

• VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Throw a few potatoes (and milk) in every once in a while and you'd technically get all your vitamins, micros, and call it variety. It's not an old wives tale-- these two foods while calorie dense, have all the essential amino acids you need plus the vitamins. Honestly that is probably the most major thing that you would be missing in the long run with that kind of diet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Beans, good.

People just starting would be well advised to ramp up fiber gradually, and get sufficient fats/fluids alongside, digestive-throughput-wise . . . but you seem to be fine in that regard?

If I were you, I'd add lotsa greens and other varied, colorful veggies/fruit for better micros. Big ol' bags of frozen ones is fine, if that's easier. Or raw (tomatoes, carrots, berries, melons . . .).

JMO.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fruits and vegetable comments. I think it is unwise to get all of your nutrition from 4 sources and it can take a very long time in some instances for problems to finally show up.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some veggies - add some to your eggs, or your rice.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Eat more vegetables, no offense but your diet is terrible. Nothing wrong with what you're eating, all of those are just fine, but if that's ALL you're eating, then you're missing out on a lot of necessary nutrients that you body needs. Where are the vegetables and fruits for example?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Canned baked beans (if they are the Bush's type), while still nutritious, are far from your best bean option. Also, jumping on the fruit and veggie bandwagon :wink:
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, so others are welcome to correct me, but I would be worried about developing about something like scurvy due to the lack of produce.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    It sure wouldn't hurt to get some lean meats and veggies in there. Beans and protein bars are kind of devoid of micros although the egg yolks are good.

Beans are actually a good source of many minerals, so calling them devoid of minerals is calumny.

calumny, lol. I said they were devoid of micronutrients, which pretty much they are. Minerals are only one category of micronutrient. You can get minerals by eating dirt which poor folks in Haiti do.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It sure wouldn't hurt to get some lean meats and veggies in there. Beans and protein bars are kind of devoid of micros although the egg yolks are good.

Beans are actually a good source of many minerals, so calling them devoid of minerals is calumny.

calumny, lol. I said they were devoid of micronutrients, which pretty much they are. Minerals are only one category of micronutrient. You can get minerals by eating dirt which poor folks in Haiti do.

They have more than just minerals. Beans can actually be staple foods in a healthful diet. Comparing them to dirt is completely ridiculous.

(Do I think OP would benefit from more variety? Yes. But eating large amounts of beans isn't a nutritional problem).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Awesome, I learned a new word today! Thank you :smiley:

OP, IMHO what your diet might be lacking is more concerning than what you have too much of. As others have said, at least get some frozen veggies in there. If you want you can mix them in with your canned beans and heat them all up together. The beauty of a more varied diet is that you increase your chances of getting everything you need - there is still lots we don't understand about nutrition (like why taking a vitamin doesn't seem to have the same effect as eating food that contains the same vitamin), so it's a way to cover your butt. Also, it's more fun - and there's psychological health to think about as well :wink:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

They have more than just minerals. Beans can actually be staple foods in a healthful diet. Comparing them to dirt is completely ridiculous.

(Do I think OP would benefit from more variety? Yes. But eating large amounts of beans isn't a nutritional problem).

If I had eaten ~168 cans of baked beans in the last 2 months I might think dirt was a nice change of pace.

I had beans today actually. Not baked though. I had mixed stewed beans with cheese, onions and salsa in them. For years I have I have used chow-chow but lately it has been about the salsa. Even that is a slightly better variety.