Why do some people don’t eat much carbs when losing weight?

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Because it's a huge fad right now (along with intermittent fasting) and people mistakenly believe that weight loss is faster on a low-carb diet. Which has repeatedly been scientifically disproved.

Low carb/keto has been around for over 80 years. It is not a fad. It has science behind it and is useful in treating epilepsy. People need to know the facts before making judgements.

Yes it has been around since the 1920's to treat seizure disorders. Eating according to the keto diet to lose weight IS a fad because it is new-ish (last 10 years or so), it is not what the diet was designed to do, and people are jumping on the bandwagon without really understanding it.

i'd say even less time in the fad to lose weight - i remember like 4years ago one of my reservists was doing it to lose weight - she had to go in weekly to get bloodwork done etc...now it seems like anyone and their mother can d do it
  • 147Me
    147Me Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat low-ish (35%>) carbohydrates because I swell up like a balloon if I consume more than that, which can be painfully uncomfortable for me. And, that's not the only physical issue that happens--it's just the one I find most frustrating. I have a hormonal disorder and insulin resistance.

My 110lbs weight loss ultimately came from portion control over a 3-year period. No special diets; just behaviour modifications.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Because it's a huge fad right now (along with intermittent fasting) and people mistakenly believe that weight loss is faster on a low-carb diet. Which has repeatedly been scientifically disproved.

Low carb/keto has been around for over 80 years. It is not a fad. It has science behind it and is useful in treating epilepsy. People need to know the facts before making judgements.

Barns have been around even longer but barn wood and doors are a fad right now.

A few years ago I imagine men and women putting on sackcloth and wailing hysterically if they heard of someone they cared about eating a high fat diet. Fat was the mortal enemy of good health. Not much chance of Keto being popular then.

"Stop the Insanity!!!!!!!"

Yes, I remember those days well. Atkins was pretty popular at the time but very few people outside seizure disorder support groups had heard of keto.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,175 Member
    Options

Yes it has been around since the 1920's to treat seizure disorders. Eating according to the keto diet to lose weight IS a fad because it is new-ish (last 10 years or so), it is not what the diet was designed to do, and people are jumping on the bandwagon without really understanding it.

I swear Atkins has been around a lot more then 10 years.

I remember my father putting us on the Atkins and South Beach diets when I was in high school. I can confirm that was definitely more than 10 years ago.

And that's all I'm going to say about that. B)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Barns have been around even longer but barn wood and doors are a fad right now.

A few years ago I imagine men and women putting on sackcloth and wailing hysterically if they heard of someone they cared about eating a high fat diet. Fat was the mortal enemy of good health. Not much chance of Keto being popular then.

"Stop the Insanity!!!!!!!"

Yes, I remember those days well. Atkins was pretty popular at the time but very few people outside seizure disorder support groups had heard of keto.

I remember that everyone on Atkins was going to die of a coronary in less than 10 minutes... well... until they didn't.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Me personally? Because I chose the foods I wanted to restrict - calorific carbs like bread pastry pasta and potatoes - and swapped them out for lower calorie carbs like greens, turnips, broccoli, and cauliflower. That allows me to eat fewer calories, feel full, and enjoy what I eat.
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different . Just find what works for you and what your preference is.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I did the Atkins diet for a year around 2001-2002. It was popular then (16-17 years ago), but nowhere near the craze it is now. The keto diet has regained a whole new popularity/fad status over the past few years, and I agree that there are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon without really understanding it. When you read through the forums here, there are a lot of threads/posts from people which basically say "I'm so excited, I'm starting the keto diet today!!!! How do you do the keto diet???".

How do they know anyone here does Keto? Shouldn't they ask first?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I did the Atkins diet for a year around 2001-2002. It was popular then (16-17 years ago), but nowhere near the craze it is now. The keto diet has regained a whole new popularity/fad status over the past few years, and I agree that there are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon without really understanding it. When you read through the forums here, there are a lot of threads/posts from people which basically say "I'm so excited, I'm starting the keto diet today!!!! How do you do the keto diet???".

How do they know anyone here does Keto? Shouldn't they ask first?

It's not like there's a search function and hundreds of similar threads or anything.....
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution was originally published in 1972. Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution was published in 1998. He died in 2003.

Lyle McDonald published his book, The Ketogenic Diet, in 1998.

Popular, no doubt, because "I just started keto two days ago by not eating any carbs and all and I've already lost SIX POUNDS*!! Keto surely is the One True Way!"

(* Of course, at least 5.5 pounds of this is not fat loss and this approach is entirely unsustainable, but woe be unto anyone who would dare to suggest that.)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution was originally published in 1972. Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution was published in 1998. He died in 2003.

Lyle McDonald published his book, The Ketogenic Diet, in 1998.

Popular, no doubt, because "I just started keto two days ago by not eating any carbs and all and I've already lost SIX POUNDS*!! Keto surely is the One True Way!"

(* Of course, at least 5.5 pounds of this is not fat loss and this approach is entirely unsustainable, but woe be unto anyone who would dare to suggest that.)

Pshhh, it's their body, what do you know about it? :wink:
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

I remember my father putting us on the Atkins and South Beach diets when I was in high school. I can confirm that was definitely more than 10 years ago.

And that's all I'm going to say about that. B)

My first (and last) Keto diet was in 1995. Of course, it also involved phen-Fen, 500 cals a day and $50 a week to the diet doctor.

Those were the days!