If you could design a home gym, what equipment would you buy yourself first?

CatherineLaurel
CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I am day dreaming of what my future home gym will consist of. This dream may not be too far away but like most people, I have limited resources so I must prioritize! I think the first few things I’d HAVE to have are:

Treadmill
Barbell set
Dumbbell Set
Bench
Workout Mat

What about you?! :)

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I have a lifting cage, barbell and weights, a treadmill, and a heavybag.
  • lililomo
    lililomo Posts: 167 Member
    rowing machine, recumbent bike, treadmill, pilates reformer and a personal trainer
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Squat rack, bench, deadlift platform and a good quality barbell (i.e., Texas Powerbar) and iron plates. Two things I would definitely skip are a treadmill and rowing machine. My rower is sitting in my living room, taking up space and collecting dust.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I started with an elliptical, appropriately sized DB from thrift stores, and a TRX. When my trainer closed his studio, I bought some of his rubber flooring, aerobic steps, an exercise ball, more DB, and a better mat. I also bought a 5 ft BB and plates.
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

What is a lifting cage?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

What is a lifting cage?

Mine is similar to this, but without the pully at the back, or the plate holders on the sides.

s-l300.jpg
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I have barbells and plates, dumbbell set, kettlebells, cable machine, benches, all kinds of resistance bands... All which are key for me. I would love a squat rack or cage but meh, I make it work without.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    I would love a treadmill and a large punchbag, but I live in a tiny appartement, so that will never happen.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    This is my dream too! Baby number 4 on the way and I know my gym time will be limited...
    Power rack, quality barbell, rubber plates, deadlift area, bench.
    Already have a spin bike
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I have started a pinterest board for just this! I would start with a barbell and plates, squat rack and bench, and rower.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I'd want a power rack (like the Rogue R-3 Power Rack), bench, barbell, rubber weight plates, resistance bands, and a rowing machine. I already have a decent range of dumbbells, but it would be nice to have a few more.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Power rack, barbell and 600 lbs of plates. If you can squat, deadlift and bench you'll do just fine.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    A universal rack, a bench, an Olympic barbell, some plates, a few dumbbells, and a rowing machine.
  • foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    A TRX and a jump rope.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    high end treadmill. then a smith machine
  • AvengingPhoenix
    AvengingPhoenix Posts: 46 Member
    I like using the bikes, so I would get one of those first, and then maybe a seated row? I’m not entirely sure what I would choose after that, there’s too many options
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    We have a TRX, a Kickr (bike trainer), some kettlebells, a Bosu and some other plyo accessories... We still belong to a gym but the majority of our workouts are done outside (cycling/running/skiing/snowshoeing).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Squat rack
    Adjustable bench
    oly bar and plates
    Gymnastics rings
    Dumbbells
    Rowing machine

A bike
    Running shoes
    A bike trainer
    Trail shoes/hiking boots
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    I just put in a home gym a couple months ago. I have a barbell, adjustable bench, rack (one for doing bench press, and I can raise the bars to do squats although there are no catchy bars like a squat rack would have), adjustable dumbells, mats for the floor, and resistance bands. There are still things that I'm acquiring here and there. I want a yoga mat. And more plates for my dumbbells. I want a squat rack with a pull up bar (my husband says he will build me one but just hasn't had time yet). I also would either like to replace my bench with a shorter one (mine is really tall and has that leg curl thing on the end which just gets in the way, I never use it) or stackable aerobic steps.