Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

If you could design a home gym, what equipment would you buy yourself first?

CatherineLaurel
CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I am day dreaming of what my future home gym will consist of. This dream may not be too far away but like most people, I have limited resources so I must prioritize! I think the first few things I’d HAVE to have are:

Treadmill
Barbell set
Dumbbell Set
Bench
Workout Mat

What about you?! :)

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I have a lifting cage, barbell and weights, a treadmill, and a heavybag.
  • lililomo
    lililomo Posts: 167 Member
    rowing machine, recumbent bike, treadmill, pilates reformer and a personal trainer
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Squat rack, bench, deadlift platform and a good quality barbell (i.e., Texas Powerbar) and iron plates. Two things I would definitely skip are a treadmill and rowing machine. My rower is sitting in my living room, taking up space and collecting dust.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I started with an elliptical, appropriately sized DB from thrift stores, and a TRX. When my trainer closed his studio, I bought some of his rubber flooring, aerobic steps, an exercise ball, more DB, and a better mat. I also bought a 5 ft BB and plates.
  • CatherineLaurel
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

What is a lifting cage?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

What is a lifting cage?

Mine is similar to this, but without the pully at the back, or the plate holders on the sides.

s-l300.jpg
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I have barbells and plates, dumbbell set, kettlebells, cable machine, benches, all kinds of resistance bands... All which are key for me. I would love a squat rack or cage but meh, I make it work without.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    I would love a treadmill and a large punchbag, but I live in a tiny appartement, so that will never happen.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    This is my dream too! Baby number 4 on the way and I know my gym time will be limited...
    Power rack, quality barbell, rubber plates, deadlift area, bench.
    Already have a spin bike
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I have started a pinterest board for just this! I would start with a barbell and plates, squat rack and bench, and rower.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I'd want a power rack (like the Rogue R-3 Power Rack), bench, barbell, rubber weight plates, resistance bands, and a rowing machine. I already have a decent range of dumbbells, but it would be nice to have a few more.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Power rack, barbell and 600 lbs of plates. If you can squat, deadlift and bench you'll do just fine.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    A universal rack, a bench, an Olympic barbell, some plates, a few dumbbells, and a rowing machine.
  • foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    A TRX and a jump rope.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    high end treadmill. then a smith machine
  • AvengingPhoenix
    AvengingPhoenix Posts: 46 Member
    I like using the bikes, so I would get one of those first, and then maybe a seated row? I’m not entirely sure what I would choose after that, there’s too many options
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    We have a TRX, a Kickr (bike trainer), some kettlebells, a Bosu and some other plyo accessories... We still belong to a gym but the majority of our workouts are done outside (cycling/running/skiing/snowshoeing).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Squat rack
    Adjustable bench
    oly bar and plates
    Gymnastics rings
    Dumbbells
    Rowing machine

A bike
    Running shoes
    A bike trainer
    Trail shoes/hiking boots
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited August 2018
    I just put in a home gym a couple months ago. I have a barbell, adjustable bench, rack (one for doing bench press, and I can raise the bars to do squats although there are no catchy bars like a squat rack would have), adjustable dumbells, mats for the floor, and resistance bands. There are still things that I'm acquiring here and there. I want a yoga mat. And more plates for my dumbbells. I want a squat rack with a pull up bar (my husband says he will build me one but just hasn't had time yet). I also would either like to replace my bench with a shorter one (mine is really tall and has that leg curl thing on the end which just gets in the way, I never use it) or stackable aerobic steps.
  • CatherineLaurel
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I just put in a home gym a couple months ago. I have a barbell, adjustable bench, rack (one for doing bench press, and I can raise the bars to do squats although there are no catchy bars like a squat rack would have), adjustable dumbells, mats for the floor, and resistance bands. There are still things that I'm acquiring here and there. I want a yoga mat. And more plates for my dumbbells. I want a squat rack with a pull up bar (my husband says he will build me one but just hasn't had time yet). I also would either like to replace my bench with a shorter one (mine is really tall and has that leg curl thing on the end which just gets in the way, I never use it) or stackable aerobic steps.

Oooooo yeah I love those stackable steps!