what is the absolute worst "food" you've ever tasted?

Options

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the name of it, but it is a drink that is made by floating a living fungus in the water. so it is basically a fungus "tea". My parents had a big pitcher of this stuff in their fridge (sans fungus floater), and I poured a big glass, thinking it was apple juice (had the right color), but when I took the first big gulp, it was like liquid mold. Gag:sick: I'm still mad at my mother for that one.

and another story to send y'all over the edge:

we had chickens when I was young, and one of them was my favorite pet. her name was arlene, she would let me hold her and pet her, she was all white and pretty like the chickens in cartoons. well we'd had her for a long time, and she was getting old and blind. cut to the dining room table: I am trying to eat a chicken leg, which I cannot bite because it is so tough. I start to cry, and my mother asks "what's wrong?" I tell her, I can't bite this chicken, it's too hard! and she tells me, "that's okay, she was blind, too". yes, thats right, my mother made me eat my own pet chicken.

OMG, I would have a hard time ever eating chicken again. :cry:

so here's the thing: it was because she was my "pet" that I was upset by it. we killed and ate many more chickens, I knew it, it didn't (doesn't) bother me at all. we had two turkeys we raised from pullets and we named them Thanksgiving and Christmas. I fed them every day, and when it was time to kill them, it wasn't a problem for me. but because I was attached to arlene in a "pet" sort of way, I felt betrayed that my mother killed her. plus old animals do not make for good meat, it is tough and stringy. hence the reason people enjoy veal.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the name of it, but it is a drink that is made by floating a living fungus in the water. so it is basically a fungus "tea". My parents had a big pitcher of this stuff in their fridge (sans fungus floater), and I poured a big glass, thinking it was apple juice (had the right color), but when I took the first big gulp, it was like liquid mold. Gag:sick: I'm still mad at my mother for that one.

we had chickens when I was young, and one of them was my favorite pet. her name was arlene, she would let me hold her and pet her, she was all white and pretty like the chickens in cartoons. well we'd had her for a long time, and she was getting old and blind. cut to the dining room table: I am trying to eat a chicken leg, which I cannot bite because it is so tough. I start to cry, and my mother asks "what's wrong?" I tell her, I can't bite this chicken, it's too hard! and she tells me, "that's okay, she was blind, too". yes, thats right, my mother made me eat my own pet chicken.

OMG, I would have a hard time ever eating chicken again. :cry:

I dont eat any pork products. And 'organs' (kidneys liver heart etc) make me gag. I really shouldnt have read this right before lunch...
    ah maybe a nice salad and some water?:laugh: :tongue:
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    tuna casserole MRE:sick:

Ohhh, I think the egg and vegetable omelet MRE comes in close. Nothing like a solid loaf of congealed eggyness. (burp....:sick: )
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    what is MRE? is it a name brand?
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    My worst food it brussell sprouts. When I was a kid I sat at the table for almost 3 hours because I wouldn't eat 2 of them. I have learned as I got older that my mom had to sit at the table with green beans until she threw up in her plate. I have already promised my kids that they will never have to do this. we never ate green beans in our house growing up. Hmm I never forget that day. like it happened yesterday!:grumble:
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Um.. yeah... I can't stand the "Country Captain Chicken" MRE or the old Omelet MRE (they stopped making that one a long time ago!) MRE bread is nasty.

The kids and I took some MREs out of my husband's bag after he'd been away on a mission and had a ball trying all of them! The desserts are pretty good, and I like the scones with apple butter (for an MRE, not that they're gourmet or anything!). The pasta dishes are ok, too. Never had the Country Captain Chicken. What's the old Omelet one? Can't imagine it's any worse then the veggie one! Of course, I only had a few bites of them and the kids had the rest because of the calories and fat.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    what is MRE? is it a name brand?

Meals Ready to Eat, I believe
    Army food. Prepackaged. Comes with a heating apparatus. Vaccuum sealed, so they are compact and can be carried around out in the field. HIGH CALORIE. Like 2000 cals a meal.

I use to try the hubby's. There was a pound cake that was delish, and the chili mac wasn't so bad.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    but just the thought of it with the feathers makes me gag!

I'm with you. I love turkey and chicken, but birds in general goss me out. When we had to dissect a bird in biology when I was in HS, it was the only thing I had a hard time with. I just think they are nasty.

Sometimes when I cook red meat (like browning ground beef) the smell during preparation causes me not to be able to eat it. It's not all the time, just some of the time. My mom told me that my grandmother was the same way. My family raises beef cattle and we always have it ground very very lean. I don't know what it is about it sometimes though...
  • DawnInOhio
    DawnInOhio Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Anything spoiled or poorly prepared - ever had badly made mussels? They smell like @$$.
    Feta in chunks that are too big - some things are meant to be eaten in small amounts.

And the worst taste ever? Not a food ... The mouth of a smoker. Yuck. Particularly after he has coffee. I can't think of a nastier smell/taste. Refer back to badly made mussels for the closest match.

My worst "non-food" substance goes along with yours kind of... I was in the back seat of the car as a kid and my mom was going to the drive-thru liquor store. It was mid-summer in Phoenix, I was hot and cranky and about 7 years old. I begged her to get me a pop and she refused to waste money on a can of pop (cause Jim Beam and Beer were way more important!) So I grabbed the beer can that was sitting in the console and took a huge gulp.... :indifferent: :sick: and then realized it was about 115 degrees AND had been used as an ASHTRAY!!! :sick: :sick: I felt so sick and cried all the way home!

OMG, been there done that on the way to a summer concert, everyone knew I was headed for it, and no one stopped me....with friends like that....
  • DawnInOhio
    Options

My mom same scenario only her chicken had only one leg due to a weasel incident (:laugh: life on a farm) so this chicken followed her the end of the lane hopping on one foot before school everyday, so one day....yeah, cut to the dining room table, there was a whole chicken with only on drumstick, my mom still doesn't like dark meat.

oh... now that's really sad and really kind of funny at the same time. Sorry. :sad: :laugh: :sad:

My mom same scenario only her chicken had only one leg due to a weasel incident (:laugh: life on a farm) so this chicken followed her the end of the lane hopping on one foot before school everyday, so one day....yeah, cut to the dining room table, there was a whole chicken with only on drumstick, my mom still doesn't like dark meat.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Another bad one for me is fish and seafood. Never eat anything that swims in its own pee!!!
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Oh I feel so at home! hahaha..I have texture issues so there are things I just cannot eat...so many people think I'm crazy but here's my issues:
    1)Wont eat meat on a bone unless it's chicken wings..because the bones are little...also because there's dark meat involved and dark meat I CANNOT eat!

2) Banana's..when i was a kid I would sit with my dad and we would watch tv and he would be eating a banana.....while I was sitting minding my own business he would try and squish the banana in my mouth....dont ask...hahaha..he thought it was funny...scarred me for life

3) anything from the water.....it's texture is too weird for me to deal with..i've tried it sooo many times..can't move past it

4) Rabbit....just can't do it, owned a pet bunny named Winston....My husband and I bonded over this because he cannot eat rabbit either. Funny story, his dad used to buy them and kill them and then skin them and eat them, one day his dad thought he had killed it and was in the process of skinning it...when it woke up(he must have only stunned it) and jumped off the table and started running around their basement. At this exact moment my husband as a little 7 year old came running down the stairs and witnessed this rabbit running loose with it's skin hanging off......he has never eaten rabbit since....
  • DawnInOhio
    Options
    Oh I feel so at home! hahaha..I have texture issues so there are things I just cannot eat...so many people think I'm crazy but here's my issues:
    1)Wont eat meat on a bone unless it's chicken wings..because the bones are little...also because there's dark meat involved and dark meat I CANNOT eat!

2) Banana's..when i was a kid I would sit with my dad and we would watch tv and he would be eating a banana.....while I was sitting minding my own business he would try and squish the banana in my mouth....dont ask...hahaha..he thought it was funny...scarred me for life

3) anything from the water.....it's texture is too weird for me to deal with..i've tried it sooo many times..can't move past it

4) Rabbit....just can't do it, owned a pet bunny named Winston....My husband and I bonded over this because he cannot eat rabbit either. Funny story, his dad used to buy them and kill them and then skin them and eat them, one day his dad thought he had killed it and was in the process of skinning it...when it woke up(he must have only stunned it) and jumped off the table and started running around their basement. At this exact moment my husband as a little 7 year old came running down the stairs and witnessed this rabbit running loose with it's skin hanging off......he has never eaten rabbit since....

Wow, that's disturbing....I think I'll have a salad for lunch.:frown:
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options

Wow, that's disturbing....I think I'll have a salad for lunch.:frown:

His Family is Maltese..which is a place most people have never heard of, it's 3 tiny islands in the mediterranian. I hear this story and they all think it's the funniest thing ever, I felt sick!hahahhaa..Glad I could assist with your weight loss goals! hahaha
  • iamjeffb
    iamjeffb Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Amen brotha!

I'd even trade FOR the dehydrated pork patties to get away from that one. The small stock pile of little tabasco I had couldn't even make that thing pass my lips. It was worse than eatting the worms at SERE training (survival school for the non-military folk).
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, I absoultly gag when it goes in my mouth, radishes, brussell sprouts, beef liver, oysters(EWWWWWW, they are so gross). anything hot and spicy, I am not the kind of person that loves peppers(hot ones), rice, I hate it. Hominy
  • iamjeffb
    iamjeffb Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

Boo!!! Hiss!!!!

:wink:

iamjeffb....and I am a bacon-holic...
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've eaten rabbit but found it wasn't worth the effort. All those little bones. Same with quail. It's not that it didn't taste good. It just wasn't good value for money. I haven't tried frog yet, partly for the same reason. Snails I'll eat from time to time. Mmmm... I like oysters. But at $3 a piece, I guess it's just as well for someone not to like them. I like terrine de foie gras and other liver pate, too. :smile: Chicken livers on toast. Yum... :wink:

Cottage cheese though? Nope. Not a fan. I used to eat the cottage doubles with pineapple, but not anymore. Not a fan of unsweetened marscarpone cheese either. Had some in a strudel this weekend and couldn't finish it. And that was dessert!

What I can't stand is the smell of artificially flavored peach yogurt. Now THAT makes me gag. Artificial peach smell in general. Yuck. I also feel sick when I smell fast food on a plane. In those cramped quarters, the smell of grease is about all I can take.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

Boo!!! Hiss!!!!

:wink:

iamjeffb....and I am a bacon-holic...

Well then... flirtysmile1.gif
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Anything spoiled or poorly prepared - ever had badly made mussels? They smell like @$$.
    Feta in chunks that are too big - some things are meant to be eaten in small amounts.

And the worst taste ever? Not a food ... The mouth of a smoker. Yuck. Particularly after he has coffee. I can't think of a nastier smell/taste. Refer back to badly made mussels for the closest match.

My worst "non-food" substance goes along with yours kind of... I was in the back seat of the car as a kid and my mom was going to the drive-thru liquor store. It was mid-summer in Phoenix, I was hot and cranky and about 7 years old. I begged her to get me a pop and she refused to waste money on a can of pop (cause Jim Beam and Beer were way more important!) So I grabbed the beer can that was sitting in the console and took a huge gulp.... :indifferent: :sick: and then realized it was about 115 degrees AND had been used as an ASHTRAY!!! :sick: :sick: I felt so sick and cried all the way home!

OMG, been there done that on the way to a summer concert, everyone knew I was headed for it, and no one stopped me....with friends like that....

I swigged chew spit out of a mountain dew bottle by mistake. It was dark, both bottles in the console holders... Had just gotten back in the car from playing ouija in the cemetary... grabbed and swigged. And barfed and barfed... and barfed some more. Those spirits got back at me for playing in their home!