I am amazed that not many people train their legs

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Not much people do or don't do amazes me. If people don't want to do leg training, that's up to them. I know plenty of runners with great legs.

I do squats and lunges classes and aerobics with resistance bands. I also do circuits which includes a fair bit of those as well. I had good legs anyway, now they are good but a bit thinner.
  • moefitt
    moefitt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I start all of my workouts from the bottom up (squats, decline leg press, standing single leg press) I do full body every other day, always changing exercise variation and intensity.
  • GouletB
    GouletB Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    To huskeryogi, my legs do the same. You read any trainers blog, book etc about women lifting and they all say we wont gain muscle like a man or get very big. I know my body when it comes to lifting and I gain muscle very fast and a lot at that. So much so that I have got stretch marks from it and im not that small.

What you need to do is lift your legs but Lots of reps (20), lots of sets (4), little weight (enough so you feel it but can do all the sets and reps). This will burn more calories (then & through out the day) and also tone your legs with out building them up. I really does work wonders with out the huge legs. :) good luck!!
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Agree with you. I used to think running was enough; this was back when I ran quite a bit, 10 milers, 15Ks, marathon. I could go out and run ten miles, easy. Then I got on board with strengthening my legs. Presses, calf work, lots of lunges, squats, hamstring work. Whoa, what a world of difference!! I'm a believer. Now that I'm losing weight and getting back in shape (my treat when I lose 30 more pounds is to start running again!), I make a point to do leg and butt work.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm a victim of slacking on leg workouts, but I've found I simply don't have the time. I'm heavy enough now that I try to do an hour of cardio a day just to get myself back to the point where I can do effective interval training. I barely have time to lift the 2 times a week for 30 minutes that I do, so I usually end up just alternating between chest and tris and shoulders and bis. If I had the time I'd probably get back into 5x5, I did quite like stronglifts when I had the time to do them. (Side note, if anyone knows of a stronglifts-like workout that doesn't take 60 minutes+ I'm all ears).

Now, all that being said, when I was in college and was lifting regularly for rugby, I had a 700 lb squat. I did some squats a couple months ago to see how I was doing (I hadn't done any before that in like a year or so) and I put up 550. A 20% loss is substantial, but I am confident that if I had given up say bench press for that long, the loss would've been MUCH bigger.

Lifting legs is extremely valuable, but if you only have time for two between cardio, upper body strength training, and lower body strength training, I think I made the right decision with cardio and upper body.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've not really paid much attention to what other people are doing at the gym unless it's something unusual that looks interesting. I'll have to watch tonight...while I do my leg workout.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I see this too. I'm going to assume for the majority it because they don't like training their legs, either that or they don't care as much as they're hidden alot more than arms. Several men see the great arms/chest/shoulders as one of the most attractive feature for others, I've even had my dad ask me what exercises he can do to build up his biceps, not interested in anything else, just his biceps.. :/

I myself used to absolutely hate squats, I would do leg press but never squats. Even with just a light bar I couldn't ever get the form right and it would feel odd and uncomfortable. Once I kept trying regularly though I got the hang of it and the weight shoots up and it's now one of my favourite exercises, although still behind what it should be in comparison to upper body. People just need to sometimes keep trying if they want the body/strength they desire.
    At the end of it though, if they hate it that much, nobody's going to be able to change their mind and you may as well just let them do what they enjoy.
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    She said "No, I just run." I nodded and went back to my training. Couldn't believe it. Do people really have this misconception that running whether it's outside in 100% heat or on the treadmill works your legs enough? I mean seriously? How many marathon runners do you know out of the millions that there are have fabulous and porportioned legs? Probably less than 5%. Their legs look horrible. They may have great endurance but you can get endurance doing any HIIT training or sports.

Paula Radcliffe? I think she looks pretty fit. Mizuki Noguchi?

Marathon runners do a decent amount in the gym, don't they? I thought that part of the plan for an athlete like Haile Gebreselassie would include a couple of gym workouts each week.

http://www.ethiopianreview.com/articles/32874
    "Normally, I am training for about three hours, and when it's two months before a competition, I will be doing about 35k in that morning slot.

"In the early evening, I spend most of my time in the gym doing strength work.

"But even if I am in the gym, I will still do 10k on the treadmill and another 10k on the bike.

"Then I will do some strength training. That is seven days a week, except for Sunday, when I only do the morning session.

"In total, I will normally run 160 miles or 220k in a week. That is the average."
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you learn a new thign every day... i always thought running outside was better!
  • Paddy31
    Options
    Oops
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm a victim of slacking on leg workouts, but I've found I simply don't have the time. I'm heavy enough now that I try to do an hour of cardio a day just to get myself back to the point where I can do effective interval training. I barely have time to lift the 2 times a week for 30 minutes that I do, so I usually end up just alternating between chest and tris and shoulders and bis. If I had the time I'd probably get back into 5x5, I did quite like stronglifts when I had the time to do them. (Side note, if anyone knows of a stronglifts-like workout that doesn't take 60 minutes+ I'm all ears).

Now, all that being said, when I was in college and was lifting regularly for rugby, I had a 700 lb squat. I did some squats a couple months ago to see how I was doing (I hadn't done any before that in like a year or so) and I put up 550. A 20% loss is substantial, but I am confident that if I had given up say bench press for that long, the loss would've been MUCH bigger.

Lifting legs is extremely valuable, but if you only have time for two between cardio, upper body strength training, and lower body strength training, I think I made the right decision with cardio and upper body.

Id really like to see a 700 lb squat done by a college athlete. Given a pro body builder like Ronnie Coleman has only gotten up to 800 lbs after years and years of training. Id say you my friend will be a legend. And not training legs at all? I think your making the wrong decision. You say you work out two days with weights. Do one upper one lower and kill it. You will be back to doing700 lb squats in no time.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do work my legs, and I absolutely love getting on a machine after a guy and having to up the weights. :tongue:

That said.... I think it's unfair to say that a runner doesn't have great legs. They serve their function. Isn't that the point? Having the strength and endurance to do what you need your body to do? There's plenty of muscle bound guys who sure LOOK strong, but how practical is it, unless your job is to be a furniture mover?

That's always been my (moral, philosophical?) issue with exercise. I run because it's good for me and I enjoy it. It makes me feel better emotionally and physically. I do strength training pretty much only because I've been told I'm supposed to. It's fun seeing my body change and all... getting muscle definition where I had none before. But it also seems pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things.

I'm a 39 year old married web publisher and artist. I'm not a fitness model. I'm never going to be a fitness model. I don't NEED a visible 6 pack. I'm not going to impress my friends by bragging about how much I can squat or bench. I'm healthy and fit, and I intend to stay that way.

It just seems to me that there's a line that can be crossed between encouraging people to be healthy and fit, and discouraging them because they're not obsessed with it. Not everyone's goal is to be more chiseled than Michelangelo's David.
  • Paddy31
    Options
    What boggles my mind is when someone told me the other day that it's better to run outside than on a "stupid treadmill" as they called it. I laughed and asked him why and he said "because you get a better workout running outside in the heat". Needless to say I educated him a little bit by explaining to him that first of all, running out in 100% heat isn't brave, it's stupid. He got offended. Then I proceeded to explain to him that running on the treadmill requires more than DOUBLE the amount of coordination and balance in your entire body over running outside thus giving you more of a workout.

I'm not sure I can accept this. I mean I accept that running in the heat is not always clever, but a treadmill needing twice as much effort as running outside seems counter-intuitive. Could you say where your number comes from?

I love athletics (and an argument:happy: )) and found this in an old Runner's World:
    Many runners have trained exclusively on treadmills and then run brilliantly in races outdoors. While you know that you are running in a gym, your heart, lungs and muscles don’t. Running is running, and the physical reactions are nearly the same whether you’re on the road or on a treadmill. That said, many runners do find treadmill running easier than road running.

This could be due to lack of wind resistance, cosy indoor temperatures, cushioned footing, a smooth, flat surface and no chance of a downpour or a run-in with a dog. There’s also some debate on the differences in your gait on a treadmill, but that’s splitting hairs.

The time-tested remedy to make treadmill running more equivalent to road running is to increase the incline to one per cent. I’d also recommend running outside when the weather is good, to keep your body accustomed to the impact of harder surfaces and to stay in touch with the realities of varying weather and footing.

Surely there is little difference between road running and a treadmill as far as the mechanics of running goes, at least for an amateur like me.
  • freckleena
    Options
    Resistance training for the entire body is most important, which inludes the legs. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to because lunges, squats and other sorts do such wonderful things for you legs and lets not forget that the more lean muscle mass you have the more calories you burn. In the past of heard excuses regarding women not wanting to lift because they will get bulky but it's really impossible as we don't have the same hormones to bulk up like men.

Regarding the treadmill, I disagree that it is a better workout. it's probably similar, in 100 degree weather with 90% humidity it's probably better to run indoors to avoid heat exhaustion but really the treadmill is somewhat working for you as you are not entirely using propelling yourself forward versus it's ALL you when you are outdoors. And running uphill on a treadmill is not the same as running uphill in the great outdoors.
  • ToningtheButt
    Options
    Agree training legs is very important its actually mens weakest part if not trained, my husband always complains (hes a juicer). It was Arnolds weakest part too, my husband has arnolds bible book and read he trained legs everyday so now my husband will too.

I train my legs with the butt bible, wish I had a gym but aint happening any time soon. :)
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts should be everyones go-to exercises if you're trying to build muscle.

I wouldn't waste time thinking about what other people do in the gym. Most people there are already set in their ways to try and convince them on what they "should" be doing. Also, some people may have different goals in mind.

I will agree though, that most people in the gym (at least from what I've seen) should be doing more leg exercises. To me, it's the base that you build on. I wouldn't want to build a house if my foundation isn't stable.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    This post cracks me up as I am guilty of the opposie. I dislocated my right shoulder tearing all the cartilage and ligaments in my arm pit 2.5 years ago. That said I do weights on my arms, its just hard to do it without pain, thus light weights. I have the exercises the PT gave me, so maybe I'll go back to those first. It's embarrassing that I can barely do 10 lbs on the arm machines but can do 190 on the leg press and 90 on abductor. SIGH, but at least I'm working out right?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The leg work is my favorite!!

Feelz good!

Can't squat 700lbs though.. I'd be happy to squat 300lbs! Maybe some.day...
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Hahahah 700 lb squat. Dude you're full of it. Good try.

These are the maxes are both Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler:

Ronnie Coleman - 800lb SQUAT (2 reps)
    Jay Culter - 700lb SQUAT ( ONCE )

Are you going to stand there and tell me that you can squat just as much as Mr. Olympian Jay Cutler? I'd like to see it.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I can accept this. I mean I accept that running in the heat is not always clever, but a treadmill needing twice as much effort as running outside seems counter-intuitive. Could you say where your number comes from?

I love athletics (and an argument:happy: )) and found this in an old Runner's World:
    Many runners have trained exclusively on treadmills and then run brilliantly in races outdoors. While you know that you are running in a gym, your heart, lungs and muscles don’t. Running is running, and the physical reactions are nearly the same whether you’re on the road or on a treadmill. That said, many runners do find treadmill running easier than road running.

This could be due to lack of wind resistance, cosy indoor temperatures, cushioned footing, a smooth, flat surface and no chance of a downpour or a run-in with a dog. There’s also some debate on the differences in your gait on a treadmill, but that’s splitting hairs.

The time-tested remedy to make treadmill running more equivalent to road running is to increase the incline to one per cent. I’d also recommend running outside when the weather is good, to keep your body accustomed to the impact of harder surfaces and to stay in touch with the realities of varying weather and footing.

Surely there is little difference between road running and a treadmill as far as the mechanics of running goes, at least for an amateur like me.

So because of cosy indoor temperatures, cushioned footing, a smooth flat surface as opposed to running on a sidewalk, and no rain (god knows a downpour will make for a better workout), and a run in with a dog.....running outside is better than running on a treadmill?

Explain to me the balance and coordination difference between running outside on the sidewalk versus running on a treadmill.