If you could design a home gym, what equipment would you buy yourself first?

Options

Replies

• CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I just put in a home gym a couple months ago. I have a barbell, adjustable bench, rack (one for doing bench press, and I can raise the bars to do squats although there are no catchy bars like a squat rack would have), adjustable dumbells, mats for the floor, and resistance bands. There are still things that I'm acquiring here and there. I want a yoga mat. And more plates for my dumbbells. I want a squat rack with a pull up bar (my husband says he will build me one but just hasn't had time yet). I also would either like to replace my bench with a shorter one (mine is really tall and has that leg curl thing on the end which just gets in the way, I never use it) or stackable aerobic steps.

Oooooo yeah I love those stackable steps!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I dream about this too!
    Squat rack
    barbell and plates
    adjustable dumbbells
    bench
    treadmill
    spin bike
    bosu and various plyo equipment
    TRX
    mats
    a lap pool (hey, a girl can dream!)
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    alpine1994 wrote: »
    I dream about this too!
    Squat rack
    barbell and plates
    adjustable dumbbells
    bench
    treadmill
    spin bike
    bosu and various plyo equipment
    TRX
    mats
    a lap pool (hey, a girl can dream!)

I love it! Go big or go home ;D
  • Bobthedog3232
    Bobthedog3232 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mat
    Weights bar
    Chin pull up bar
    Stepper
    Bench
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    A really good quality treadmill and either rower or stationary bike - heck, both if space and money weren't an obstacle. Then a bench and dumbbells, bands, nice mats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Power rack with barbell and plates and a bench and I would build an Oly platform since that's easy.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Eleiko rack, bar, and plates. A nice little deadlift platform to. Heavy enough dumbbells for accessory work.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have dumbbells, resistance bands, stackable steps, weighted vest, stability ball, freestanding heavy bag and my husband's ab rocker. When I want to take it outside, I'll get out the road bike, gravel bike, or mountain bike.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    squat rack, flat bench, and barbell plate set.
  • maibuddee
    maibuddee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Power rack, barbell, 200kg of plates and a bench.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I would add a climbing wall to the equipment I already have (just need to use it all on a more regular basis!).
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I found on craigslist a squat rack, plates bars, a box, jump rope. It was an awesome deal. Ive been slowly adding to this
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Power cage, Olympic bar, plates, bench.
  • ShannonAlgren2
    ShannonAlgren2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Salt water heated pool
    Nustep
    Treadmill
  • InfiniteInnerBeauty9190
    Options
    Treadmill, a more expensive Elliptical Bike than the one I have, Steps, and an outdoor adult yard gym like the ones from sears.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Squat rack or lifting cage, bench and dumbbells. That's all I really use.

My bf actually has most of it, but our current house is too small so we can't set it up.
  • carabev8
    carabev8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Leg press 😉
  • SunshaunSmiles
    SunshaunSmiles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym and slowly added over the years. Started with just an adjustable bench, jumprope, exercise ball, resistance bands, and adjustable dumbbells. Now I have kettlebells, a squat rack, rower, battle rope, oly bar with plates, bosu ball, sliding disks, and this weekend just added a t-bar with landmine and 8lb slam ball.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    C2 rower, Assault Bike (I have these now but wanted them for years), SkiErg, Heavy KBs (getting these slowly) and I'd like some heavy bands for lifting.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I've built mine up over the years. The first thing I bought was a treadmill that no longer gets used on a regular basis (I run outside all year 'round), followed by a C2 Rower then a turbo trainer for my bike ( a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine that refuses to die) for winter bike training that I'll probably replace this year with one of the smart trainers (haven't decided which one yet).

My garage now has a (now) seldom used multi-gym that's been replaced by a power rack, Olympic bar & plates & flat bench (stronglifts 5 x 5 for me & my daughter is getting more into power lifting).

If I was doing it all over again I'd skip the treadmill ( a decent one is expensive...it's cheaper to join Planet Fitness if there's one close by) forget the multi-gym and go with the power rack, free weights & bench, the C2 rower & a trainer for my bike.