Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is milk bad for you??

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    One of our cats loves yogurt. If you open a container of it, she'll jump right into your lap and try to help herself to it - including licking it right off your spoon if it's in her reach. She also loves cheese, especially the soft/creamy varieties, and goat milk. Our other cat has no interest in any of those things, he's an all-meat kind of guy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Many people in the world- the majority of asian people ,for example - are lactose intolerant.

For these people milk would be bad.

For the rest of us, it is perfectly fine - in moderation and not to the exclusion of other nutrients, of course - but that goes for any food.

Incidentally it is possible for people to manage milk fine for most of their life and then develop intolerance.

My father, who is nearly 80, can no longer eat cereal with milk or drink iced coffees because of late onset lactose intolerance. He can have small amounts - ie one or two white coffees a day but that's it now.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    No, it's not bad for you. Unless you have a medical condition.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If it's spoiled!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video! I've never liked the taste of milk so I don't drink it but I have a LOT of dairy overall: heavy cream or half and half in my coffee, lots of cheese, and (carb smart) ice cream. Good to know I'm not killing myself. ;)
  • suibhan6
    suibhan6 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The video would not open.

I don't drink milk, but I will occasionally cook with it, and I really like healthy forms of plain yogurt (I buy Stonyfield or goat whole milk yogurt, but not often), and I like cheese. I probably like good meltable cheese a little too much.

If you are not lactose intolerant, or have other digestive issues with milk, it's fine for you. In limited amounts. But I do think it is a food that is not a necessary part of one's diet, even if one can digest it past infancy. Since I do eat some forms of it, I prefer not to have it doctored for "mouthfeel" or flavor by excipients. So, I do eat the whole-milk forms. BTW, whole milk is NOT 100% fat, it is 3.5% fat on average!

I'm simply working right now on eating LESS of it (that insidious cheese form I still want to enjoy in all its melty goodness... I can do it!)
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Milk can have a lot of natural sugars, so therefore it is somewhat high in carbs, relatively speaking. Fairlife has a bit less carbs. But unless you are lactose intolerant or diabetic, I cannot imagine why someone would say it is bad for you. My cats loved it, and even my dogs like it. I don't drink it because I don't like the taste, but I do eat other dairy.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,003 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

@AnvilHead
    Thank you for this. No one I know drinks milk; I drink 2 cups a day. I had read it doesn’t help with osteoporosis, which I have, but my bone density has increased with regular milk intake, Pilates, and increased walking/hiking.

The study you posted made me realize that milk helps the bone density but not the risk of bone fracture, which is the bad outcome of osteoporosis as far as I know.

I have also read yogurt is better than milk, which the study below supports for cancer risk. (Couldn’t find link but it’s below the article you posted, so I’m pasting that abstract here.)

Interesting the increase in whole milk & prostate cancer... I guess the jury is still out on sat fat.

Dairy products intake and cancer mortality risk: a meta-analysis of 11 population-based cohort studies.

Review article
    Lu W, et al. Nutr J. 2016.
    Show full citation
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND: Dairy products are major components of daily diet and the association between consumption of dairy products and public health issues has captured great attention. In this study, we conducted a meta-analysis to investigate the association between dairy products intake and cancer mortality risk.

METHODS: After a literature search in PubMed and EMBASE, 11 population-based cohort studies involving 778,929 individuals were considered eligible and included in the analyses. Data were extracted and the association between dairy products intake and cancer mortality risk was estimated by calculating pooled relative risks (RRs) and corresponding 95 % confidence intervals (CIs). Sensitivity analyses and subgroup analyses based on regions, genders and dairy types were performed as well. Potential dose-response relationship was further explored by adopting the generalized least squares (GLST) method.

RESULTS: Total dairy products intake was not associated with all cancer mortality risk, with the pooled RR of 0.99 (95 % CI 0.92-1.07, p = 0.893). Subgroup analyses showed that the pooled RRs were 0.97 (95 % CI 0.92-1.03, p = 0.314) for milk, 0.88 (95 % CI 0.71-1.10, p = 0.271) for yogurt, 1.23 (95 % CI 0.94-1.61, p = 0.127) for cheese and 1.13 (95 % CI 0.89-1.44, p = 0.317) for butter in male and female, however the pooled RR was 1.50 (95 % CI 1.03-2.17, p = 0.032) for whole milk in male, which was limited to prostate cancer. Further dose-response analyses were performed and we found that increase of whole milk (serving/day) induced elevated prostate cancer mortality risk significantly, with the RR of 1.43 (95 % CI 1.13-1.81, p = 0.003).

CONCLUSIONS: Total dairy products intake have no significant impact on increased all cancer mortality risk, while low total dairy intake even reduced relative risk based on the non-linear model. However, whole milk intake in men contributed to elevated prostate cancer mortality risk significantly. Furthermore, a linear dose-response relationship existed between increase of whole milk intake and increase of prostate cancer mortality risk.

Thanks again. I think I may gradually move to one cup of milk (maybe try Fairlife) & one 6 oz yogurt. I love my lattes!!
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been lactose intolerant since about the age of 10, I avoid milk like the plague (I can eat hard cheeses and some yogurt). With that said, I would much rather my children drink milk over juice due to the protein and calcium content. We mostly stick to water in our home though as far as beverages go.
  • suibhan6
    suibhan6 Posts: 81 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Milk is bad for you if you are lactose intolerant, which covers a lot of people. I do use full-fat milk in cooking (this is really only 3.5% fat, and better than the excipients that make up skim 0% fat to make it semi-tolerable to drink, or cook with. That being said, I don't like drinking milk as a beverage, so I only use it in recipes. I agree it better for most people, as lolly above indicated, than drinking fruit in the form of beverages/juice.

I far prefer water, unsweetened tea, SodaStream seltzer to either of the above... Oh, I do love my morning cuppa Java or two... Unfortunately, I really am having a hard time with my favorite dairy product: cheese. So much salt!!!

At least with the better brands of yogurt, one gets other and additional health benefits, assuming moderation.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If it's spoiled!!

Just curious as to your experience with spoiled milk. Did you actually drink some and it made you sick? If so, why did you do that? :s
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm not lactose intolerant, so no, it's not bad for me. :smiley:
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A recent BBC health program did a study on what drinks are most efficient at hydration. Milk came top