• RSr09
    RSr09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Id like to learn more about it too
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    babs1280 wrote: »
    Good morning tiffie_taffy, I just learned today I’m an endomorph and it sounds like keto may be the way to go for me. How did u get started? How do I know what I should follow? Thanks!

Atkins (phase 1 and possibly 2) is ketogenic and a pretty easy guide for starting out.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    The less fat calories you add to your diet, the more apt you are to burn your body's fat for energy.

Keto just requires less carbs. There are lots of ways to do it. I'm somewhat high-protein (>60), somewhat low-carb (<50). I don't eat dairy, red meat or animal fats (I use olive oil) and I have perfect HDL/LDL numbers and ratio. I eat fish, poultry, eggs, non-dairy substitutes, non-starchy vegetables and beans.

I was gaining a slow pound a month, inexorably from 145 back towards the 317 I used to weigh. I was fighting it but it was so hard! Midnight nibbling would just sometimes take over and I couldn't stop. I went low-carb (and then keto) in May 2018 and lost 30 pounds and am now almost at goal again. And there was NO fight - it was easy. This is my salvation, it is satisfying and delish.

There, fixed it for you because you can not burn your body's fat for energy unless you are in a calorie deficit, regardless of which macro splits you choose. Also, the only 'bad' fats that should be avoided are trans-saturated fats.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Are you interested in keto becaused of the alleged "extra" weightloss, or because you naturally prefer foods high in fat over carby foods?

I guess I’m interested in Keto because I’ve just had a hard time sticking to calorie restrictive diets

@rachelarosenfeld I went Keto Oct 2014 at the age of 63 to try and reverse my fast rate of health decline and regain the ability to walk more than 100 feet without being exhausted. I had no weight loss goal and no interest in counting calories at my age after 40 years of failed dieting ending in 100%+ regains after each loss.

Yesterday was my annual physical. The doctor said my weight was 252 in Aug 2014 then 204 in both 2016 and 2017 and 200 pounds as of yesterday. For the last three years I have been in a state of nutritional ketosis most of the time eating as many calories that I desired at any time I wanted to eat. Some that have never done keto for a year or more will say counting calories is required but I know that is not factual with my body.

I do not try to eat less than 50 grams of carbs daily because I like foods that contain carbs like nuts and dairy. In my case my binging started to decrease within the first 30 days after I stopped eating foods containing added sugars and or any form of any grain. Yes there was a hellish 2 weeks when I backed the gross carb level down to 50 grams daily.

Will my Way Of Eating work for another is something I have no way of knowing. I do not give eating advice to others even in our household. Who others want to run around with, do for a living, eat or drink is their business not mine.

I personally knows Keto works very well in my case for four years now and plan to eat this way another 40-50 years because of the pain management and overall health gains now at the age of 67 taking no Rx Meds or being followed for any condition. All labs are WNL with normal blood pressure.

Do not follow the advice of strangers when it comes to finding the best WOE for you. There are good resources out there to understand how and why keto works so well for so many. We are all different with different needs. Some do just fine with a high carb WOE so carbs are not good or bad in all cases.

I am glad I found a WOE that will permit me to never go hungry yet automatically prevent me from becoming obese again. Best of success in finding a WOE at works best for your health and happiness.

• mazurkiepolish
    mazurkiepolish Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You should try it. I follow a lot of keto groups on Facebook (although I don’t do it myself) and people love it. Figure out a way that you’ll stick to, to lose weight. Keto is successful for a lot of people.
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Our Doctor advised my husband to use a Keto diet to address his super high cholesterol and being borderline diabetes. Even though my blood work is good I weighed in at 213lbs and am only 5’3. I had lost 30lbs in the last year (down from 242) by just making better food choices but had stalled in the last few months. I decided to join my husband on Keto.
    We did a ton of research and are super excited and regimented. It’s hard work. Today is two solid weeks in and I’m down 8lbs. The quick results have me super motivated to keep going. I know it will slow down but the jump start really helps.
    I’m keeping calories between 1300-1400 at 75% fat/20% protein/5%carbs. For me I’m just enjoying it being something different, dieting had gotten boring for me. I needed new rules to play by. Keto is fun and it’s felt pretty natural to me. I super advise watching all of your nutrients and adding in electrolytes as needed. I’m also chugging my psyllium husk for fiber and taking a multi vitamin.
    Keto is fun but it’s all about the calories no matter what program you choose.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    lalabank wrote: »
    Our Doctor advised my husband to use a Keto diet to address his super high cholesterol and being borderline diabetes. Even though my blood work is good I weighed in at 213lbs and am only 5’3. I had lost 30lbs in the last year (down from 242) by just making better food choices but had stalled in the last few months. I decided to join my husband on Keto.
    We did a ton of research and are super excited and regimented. It’s hard work. Today is two solid weeks in and I’m down 8lbs. The quick results have me super motivated to keep going. I know it will slow down but the jump start really helps.
    I’m keeping calories between 1300-1400 at 75% fat/20% protein/5%carbs. For me I’m just enjoying it being something different, dieting had gotten boring for me. I needed new rules to play by. Keto is fun and it’s felt pretty natural to me. I super advise watching all of your nutrients and adding in electrolytes as needed. I’m also chugging my psyllium husk for fiber and taking a multi vitamin.
    Keto is fun but it’s all about the calories no matter what program you choose.
    I really like your honesty, I'm happy you've found something you like, I can see that you know what's what, and I'm sure you will succeed.