Increase fiber intake without increasing carbs?

Options

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    If you see a nutritionist, then he/she should have given you tips on fiber intake.

Low carb vegetables and fruits - leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, berries, avocado, asparagus, cucumbers, zucchini, olives are some examples.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I run everything by my nutritionist and pcp before doing anything and they told me it's okay so I dunno.

I'd ditch the nutritionist and find a dietician instead as they are much more highly qualified unless of course your nutritionist actually has uni qualifications.

Registered Dietitians are now being offered the option of using either "RD" or "RDN" these days upon being accredited. RDN stands for Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and frequently shorten it to Nutritionist. Same accreditation, different way to designate it. Can make things a bit more confusing because every RD is a nutritionist but not every nutritionist is an RD.

When seeking out an expert for nutritional advice, look for the Registered part. Since it appears to have been a referral from OP's pcp my guess is that this is someone registered

This is true. My GI doctor at Mayo referred me to what he called a nutritionist even though she was an RD.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Almonds. Net carb is 2g or 3g per serving.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Chia seed pudding. This works out to be around 2 net carbs per serving. I leave out the peanut butter, I add a bit more chia seeds to get it to the consistency I like. I only use sugar free torani to sweeten. Cocoa powder has a lot of fiber for what it is. This is a good recipe that provides 3 small servings of pudding. I eat 2-3 servings a day. 2 is plenty. A very good fiber source.
    1/2 of a Magnesium citrate tablet also works well to get things moving well inside.

Side note:
    I've lost over 135 pounds eating lpw carb, high fat, about 90% clean eating.

1 cup dairy free milk of your choice
    ¼ cup chia seeds
    2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons peanut butter or almond butter, melted
    1-2 tablespoon sweetener of your choice maple syrup or honey, Sugar Free Torani chocolate syrup
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    9.7 fiber on that chia recipe
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    If you see a nutritionist, then he/she should have given you tips on fiber intake.

Low carb vegetables and fruits - leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, berries, avocado, asparagus, cucumbers, zucchini, olives are some examples.

I didn't ask about fiber intake, she mentioned to eat more vegetables and what not. But it wasn't a particularly long meeting because I had 5 appointments that day between my wife and I.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You can also try increasing exercise, water, fat or try something like senna tea rather than psyllium husk and the like - it should help get things moving ;)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    The problem is I don't want to go above 20g of carbs at all and that doesn't leave much room to get the amount of fiber I should.

Why not? There is absolutely nothing wrong with carbs.
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    So I'm not. Getting enough fiber and I know it, sometimes painfully.. I need to know how to increase my fiber levels without increasing my carbs. I've looked at fiber supplements and they have a few carbs if not more in them. Any other way?

I’m living on a Keto diet. Remember that you are counting net carbs! On US packaging you will see carbs and then underneath one line for sugar and one line for fiber. Subtract the fiber, it doesn’t count in your carb count, your body just poops ‘em out.
    I drink a tbsp of straight psyllium husk powder in about a cup of water. It tastes like dirt and turns into goo in just seconds. I stir and chug. It helps constipation and/or bulks up loose stool so it does everything you will need for your first few weeks of Keto.
  • phee03r
    phee03r Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try hemp seeds IN the shell. They end up being a zero carb food once you subtract the fiber. I use Aldi brand and it has 9g fiber for 3 TBSP. Now it has 1 gram of sugar, but the only ingredients are "toasted hemp seeds, and sea salt". I add them as a topper on my salads with a creamy dressing. They are super crunchy.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Eat a Quest Bar. Most of those are 4g net carbs.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to my smoothies or make chia pudding. 1 tablespoon has 5 carbs and 4 grams of fiber. That’s 1 net carb.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I run everything by my nutritionist and pcp before doing anything and they told me it's okay so I dunno.

I'd ditch the nutritionist and find a dietician instead as they are much more highly qualified unless of course your nutritionist actually has uni qualifications.

I work for a healthcare organization and my medically trained coworkers use dietician and nutritionist interchangeably. Because in that setting you know they're not a quack with an IIN certificate. Sounds like this person is someone the PCP recommended based on the context.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

I didn't ask about fiber intake, she mentioned to eat more vegetables and what not. But it wasn't a particularly long meeting because I had 5 appointments that day between my wife and I.

Low calorie vegetables like leafy greens and cruciferous veggies should help. As mentioned above you can subtract the fiber from the carbs to get the 'real' carb count. Nuts may be a good option if you're prioritizing fat intake.
  • lisasunshn555
    lisasunshn555 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suggest using avocado. It has a lot of good fat, protein and a good amount of fiber.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    I suggest using avocado. It has a lot of good fat, protein and a good amount of fiber.

But it would still add 2 grams of net carbs, or about 8 grams of carb, per 100 grams of avocado.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    phee03r wrote: »
    Try hemp seeds IN the shell. They end up being a zero carb food once you subtract the fiber. I use Aldi brand and it has 9g fiber for 3 TBSP. Now it has 1 gram of sugar, but the only ingredients are "toasted hemp seeds, and sea salt". I add them as a topper on my salads with a creamy dressing. They are super crunchy.

If it has 1 gram of sugar, it's not zero net carbs.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

According to what I found, 1 serving has 2 g carbs, and 2 g fiber. So it is zero carbs because you subtract the fiber from the carbs to get net carbs.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/hemp-seed-nutritional-information-3376946
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

According to what I found, 1 serving has 2 g carbs, and 2 g fiber. So it is zero carbs because you subtract the fiber from the carbs to get net carbs.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/hemp-seed-nutritional-information-3376946

Net carbs are the carbs left after fibre has been removed. If hemp seeds contain sugar they can not be zero net carbs because sugar is not fibre. I'd go by the USDA database instead.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/302502