Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is milk bad for you??

13»

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    humans are the only animals that drink milk beyond infancy. Beyond availability..Why would we drink cow's milk instead of human milk?

You've obviously never seen a grown cat nursing when their momma cat has new kittens. As long as momma cat lets them, big old grown cats will happily nurse away.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    humans are the only animals that drink milk beyond infancy. Beyond availability..Why would we drink cow's milk instead of human milk?

Cats love it as well as most dogs. Put a bowl of water next to a bowl of milk as see which one the cat picks.
  • suibhan6
    suibhan6 Posts: 81 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »

Because modern humans have specifically evolved to drink animal milk. Lactase persistence was enough of an advantage to our ancestors that it evolved independently on multiple occasions.

A good percentage, but not ALL.

I can tolerate milk and dairy, but many people I know cannot, except on a very limited basis. Depends on the pre-historic happenings in various cultures. And interestingly enough, some people descended from milk drinkers... cannot always deal with lactose.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    yukfoo wrote: »
    JetJaguar wrote: »

Because modern humans have specifically evolved to drink animal milk. Lactase persistence was enough of an advantage to our ancestors that it evolved independently on multiple occasions.

Ok So why is 65% of the population lactose intolerant?

65% of which population?? The world population??

Not sure what the figure is but it could easily be 65%.

Because most Asian people are lactose intolerant and there are more Asian people in the world than any other racial group.
    And lactose tolerance was a genetic anomaly which was an advantage in countries where animal milk was available, usually cold european countries.
    Natural selection at work - an advantageous genetic difference over time becomes more widespread in that population.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member

Seriously, have you tried it? Cow's milk tastes better IMHO.
  • paperpudding
    But I do think it is a food that is not a necessary part of one's diet, even if one can digest it past infancy.

I agree. Past infancy where humans, like all mammals, need mothers milk ( or a formula substitute).

After that it is not a neccesary food and many people in the world manage without it.

But then, no individual food item is a neccesary part of one's diet - there is no single food that provides required nutrients that cannot be sourced instead by other foods.

Not sure point of statement :*
  • paperpudding

Availability and cultural norms ( the first probably leads to the second) are why we in the western world use cows milk.

I'm sure other cultures in other parts of the world drink sheep, goats, camel, deer milk.

And I do remember reading about cultures which did give expressed human milk to elderly sick people.
    Not our cultural norm but probably beneficial, especially in traditional hunter gatherer societies where Sustagen etc not available and food storage limited by nomadic living.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    If milk is bad for me I have a real problem , because I love it & drink it regularly - whole milk with all the fat
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    And I don't believe any other animals brew coffee. So my coffee with milk is clearly an abomination of nature. And the elixir of being. Life is complicated.

Thus clearly proving that we're the most highly evolved species. :)
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    humans are the only animals that drink milk beyond infancy.
    We're also the only animals which drive cars, use computers, cook our food, exchange currency, have a recorded written language, and a million other things. To my knowledge, we're the only animals that make tacos and pizza too. Of what relevance is any of that?

Beyond availability..Why would we drink cow's milk instead of human milk?
    Because the mass milking of human females would be frowned upon?

I don't know, I can see men lining up to handle that job.... the women on the other hand...
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Is milk bad for me? No. For me, it's a handy inexpensive source of nutrition, tastes good, and is an essential part of my morning coffee ritual. Since I'm not vegan, lactose/dairy intolerant, or philosophically opposed to its consumption, it's great for me.

Is milk bad for you? How in the heck would I know?
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    ...I don't like the argument that "it's unnatural" and "we're the only species who drinks milk into adulthood" and "we're the only species who drinks another animals milk" because I don't base my diet on what other animals are eating.
    It's a ridiculous and fatally flawed argument right from the start. We're the only species who does a lot of things, many of which are "unnatural". And there are plenty of other animals who will gladly drink milk if it's offered to them.
    My mom doesn't drink skim milk because, on the farm where she grew up, skim milk was hog feed.